14:11, Thu 23 May
Honestly. I really don't understand how so many people still don't seem to understand how modern football clubs are governed.

Recruitment scouting and profiling will have been going on all season, not just since we got relegated. The club will have needed to build a recruitment strategy to ensure they were able to hit this summer window running, regardless of who the manager is/will be. Especially given that there will be finite window to make certain deals happen so we don't lose out on potential targets.

That is precisely the role and remit of a Director of Football/Technical Director. As others have said, it is their job to build a squad and philosophy that endures beyond the team manager. While they would almost certainly work with the manager to refine target lists, long gone are the days of managers having control over the recruitment process.
14:11, Thu 23 May
Assuming this isn't just some berk making stuff up it's interesting. I think Mowbray said the scouting team and hierarchy identify players and whilst he doesn't have much input he has some. Maybe they know who new gaffer is and are running stuff by him or the they're signing players they've already identified and the new bloke will have to buy into it

The way i interpreted Mowbray's take was that there was a consistent and ongoing list ... and he was allowed to add to the list, with the agreement of those in recruitment .... and on that list he then had a final say of "yes" or "no" ... and then it was left to others to do the approach/chat/negotiation.

That way both the manager and the recruitment team should end up "in synch"

At Sunderland Mowbray intimated that he had no say on who was or wasn't on the list and players could therefore be brought in who he didn't approve of.
14:23, Thu 23 May
I thought one of the scouting at Sunlan was with him at Blackburn and they got on?
Tony Fantastico
14:24, Thu 23 May
BlueCobbler
Honestly. I really don't understand how so many people still don't seem to understand how modern football clubs are governed.

Recruitment scouting and profiling will have been going on all season, not just since we got relegated. The club will have needed to build a recruitment strategy to ensure they were able to hit this summer window running, regardless of who the manager is/will be. Especially given that there will be finite window to make certain deals happen so we don't lose out on potential targets.

That is precisely the role and remit of a Director of Football/Technical Director. As others have said, it is their job to build a squad and philosophy that endures beyond the team manager. While they would almost certainly work with the manager to refine target lists, long gone are the days of managers having control over the recruitment process.
👍
This place is mental. Good post
Tony Fantastico
TaylorJay84
My Blue Heaven
I quite like him. Very fiery, and on the spectrum

He’s Jack Storer but with actual talent.

Would be a brilliant signing this! I’d be ecstatic!

Storer's downfall definitely wasn't because a lack of talent..
14:26, Thu 23 May
Wagner’s Dream
HackneyBlue
Jota95
Alot of mk fans saying he's off to us 20 year old 38 games 16 goals

are you referring to this tweet - [x.com]
Its BS, and there aren’t any other links.

yea i saw one Mk dons fan tweet and lots of tweets about Harlee's little brother DJ'ing somewhere
14:27, Thu 23 May
Rags
Assuming this isn't just some berk making stuff up it's interesting. I think Mowbray said the scouting team and hierarchy identify players and whilst he doesn't have much input he has some. Maybe they know who new gaffer is and are running stuff by him or the they're signing players they've already identified and the new bloke will have to buy into it

The way i interpreted Mowbray's take was that there was a consistent and ongoing list ... and he was allowed to add to the list, with the agreement of those in recruitment .... and on that list he then had a final say of "yes" or "no" ... and then it was left to others to do the approach/chat/negotiation.

That way both the manager and the recruitment team should end up "in synch"

At Sunderland Mowbray intimated that he had no say on who was or wasn't on the list and players could therefore be brought in who he didn't approve of.

This was what he said when he joined, which I read to mean that he would be a key part of transfer discussions but wouldn't have the very final say

"The discussions have all been very positive," he added. "I am talking to Craig (Gardner) and Garry Cook who is around the building as well – very supportive. I will be sitting in all of those meetings. I am not saying I am going to sit there and say ‘Not him’. But I think a huge impact on the recruitment.

"If I have an identity of how we want to build the team and what type of players allow you to do that I think it’s really important that the manager has a big say. But I understand we live in a world which has sporting directors and chief executives and clubs like identity. I would like to think it is aligned with my identity of how Birmingham City would like to play. I don’t think there is going to be much friction of who we sign and what we do. It will very much be a collective and I will be part of that."
08:27, Fri 24 May
BlueCobbler

Thank you. So that would be....Craig Gardner? My original thought then.
08:57, Fri 24 May
Tilton shark
Now I know I'm old fashioned but should we not be getting the new manager in place first before we get in players he does or not want.

No, we shouldn't.

Managers come and go as we see every other week. The teams needs a foundation that isn't reliant on a manager's whims.
09:36, Fri 24 May
Brother in law is a Wimbledon fan and saw the stamp that led to his 3-game ban. Says..."he is a pretty nasty piece of work. Won’t bring any honour to whoever he plays for."
09:39, Fri 24 May
It's definitely the better model - Director of Football and Manager/Head Coach model I mean.

That way we can take our time with appointing a new manager, we (should) bring one in that fits our desired philosophy and would be in sync wanting the players we have and are looking to sign anyway. Then if that manager can't get the best out of them, you appoint another manager with the same philosophy but the recruitment never stops and over a few transfer windows, you'll have a squad that's exactly what you want.

If you do the traditional manager model, you get a mish-mash of squads. And that's what we've had for years.
09:43, Fri 24 May
Haircut1000
Brother in law is a Wimbledon fan and saw the stamp that led to his 3-game ban. Says..."he is a pretty nasty piece of work. Won’t bring any honour to whoever he plays for."

To be fair, as a Wimbledon fan he is clearly extremely biased when talking about MK Dons players.
You should ask him for his views on stamping on MK Dons players ;)
09:47, Fri 24 May
I watched an interview with him and I thought he was a nice kid with a lot of passion for his job. He's really young.
10:01, Fri 24 May

sounds like a big girls blouse
10:03, Fri 24 May
Haircut1000

Sounds perfect - gerrimin FEA.
Up the feckin Blues