08:07, Wed 10 Jul
Who are the coaches that run these courses and decide who is good enough? Surely if these people were at the top of their game, they would be in the prem or La Liga or the likes. This is a genuine question, I am intrigued by it.
08:25, Wed 10 Jul
Same could be said of any qualification in any walk of life.

Those who can do ,those who can’t teach, sorta thing.
08:55, Wed 10 Jul
Fat Buddha CBE FEA

I do get that. Its just that surely the teacher has to be better than the student? although, tbh, skills in this country are lost for the opposite reason and the teachers are not really good enough.
09:03, Wed 10 Jul
Not all coaches were/are great players in any sport. EG all of the worlds top golfers have coaches but the coaches never win the Masters or open.

Some are just better at getting across ideas and mindset etc than they are at actually playing.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
09:19, Wed 10 Jul
Academics have the time, resources and motivation to really study what works, why it works, how it works and also what the barriers are. They look at the minutiae, explore where marginal gains can be made.

They have the time, resources and diligence to look at and take ideas from other sports, disciplines and philosophies.

The educators on elite courses will probably be the best at what they do. If Chris Davies turns out to be as good as we hope is we’ll have reason to thank these motherfeckers.

There’s the element of shared experience/ knowledge/ learning from fellow attendees too.
09:23, Wed 10 Jul
albi
Who are the coaches that run these courses and decide who is good enough? Surely if these people were at the top of their game, they would be in the prem or La Liga or the likes. This is a genuine question, I am intrigued by it.

Do you think people that teach maths in schools are the best mathematicians in the world?
09:26, Wed 10 Jul
albi
Fat Buddha CBE FEA

I do get that. Its just that surely the teacher has to be better than the student? although, tbh, skills in this country are lost for the opposite reason and the teachers are not really good enough.

Lots of reasons why they can be very good teachers but not coach, including that they are different skill sets.
They also perhaps don't want the pressure, instability and time away from home.
Some people are just more drawn to teaching - they might be able to carve out a good career as an actual coach but they get more enjoyment from teaching others.
09:36, Wed 10 Jul
I was taught by someone once who ended up winning a Nobel prize in his field. He was genuinely incomprehensible as a teacher.
Level 1 is now online, you don't even have to run a training session anymore!!

It's all interactive videos.
09:50, Wed 10 Jul
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
I was taught by someone once who ended up winning a Nobel prize in his field. He was genuinely incomprehensible as a teacher.

That is probably the ultimate example of the difference!
13:54, Wed 10 Jul
Nose of Blue

Not even called Level 1 any more.

When I did my level 1 it was 4 days in a classroom and out on the pitch. Then another half day First Aid. Now all online.

The only people who could fail Level 1 were those who didn't turn up for all 4 days.

However, Level 1 (or Introduction to Coaching) is very basic but tried to teach planning and preparation, basics of running drills, motivating players, safeguarding, etc. It wasn't ever aimed at out-and-out football coaching techniques.

It's a step backwards really to have it all self-taught now, much preferred the in-person training.
14:19, Wed 10 Jul
JayDee
Nose of Blue

Not even called Level 1 any more.

When I did my level 1 it was 4 days in a classroom and out on the pitch. Then another half day First Aid. Now all online.

The only people who could fail Level 1 were those who didn't turn up for all 4 days.

However, Level 1 (or Introduction to Coaching) is very basic but tried to teach planning and preparation, basics of running drills, motivating players, safeguarding, etc. It wasn't ever aimed at out-and-out football coaching techniques.

It's a step backwards really to have it all self-taught now, much preferred the in-person training.

As you say, it was very difficult to fail a Level 1 course. It was intended as a ‘safe pair of hands’ more than anything.

The problem was some people thought they were a football coach by having a Level 1 qualification.
16:34, Wed 10 Jul
I know it's not called the level 1 badge any more but a lot of people who dont do the courses probably wouldn't know the new name.

I was just pointing out it's even worse than basic now it's online.

I did the face to face ones where you have to get put on the pitch and run a training session. It at least showed people how to set up and organise a session.

Level 2 (Uefa C) does at least go more into the coaching side of things.
16:47, Wed 10 Jul
Yes, I did my Level 2 course about 15 years ago and thought it was very good. Gives you more confidence in your coaching and a structured approach to planning and running sessions.

I think you’d struggle to pass the L2 course without some understanding of the game whereas anyone with a modicum of common sense can gain a L1 qualification.