Tam
19:08, Wed 21 Feb
Just a thought. I'm only on one other forum - a guitar forum - and one of the sections that it has is a, you've guessed it, 'Friends In Need' section. It doesn't fit into 'football' or 'politics', but is really a discussion board for people that need help or advice. It's hidden from search engines and is only visible to members who are logged in.

Topics from 'suggestions for a new car', to health issues, bereavement, divorce, finances, general advice etc - somewhere to get the advice and compassion that I reckon SHA is pretty good for.

It might be a rubbish idea or too much of a pain to sort out, and that's fair enough if so, but it might be a useful addition.

Just putting the thought forward.
Make Blues Great Again
19:17, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
Great idea. I'm all for splitting up the forum a bit to keep football stuff on the main page and everything else elsewhere
19:18, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
Good idea 👍
19:19, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
...a friend in need's a friend indeed 👍😤
19:23, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
👏
Tony Fantastico
19:26, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
Sensible, good idea.
21:45, Wed 21 Feb
The main forum has never been Football only which was by design and I think is one of the main differences between SHA and other forums that have come and gone.

Although I quite like the idea of a 'serious' non-politics board I'm mindful that we don't make the main forum Football only by the back door.

Tam if you want to volunteer as a moderator of this board then I'm happy to give it a trial run and see how it goes.
Tam
22:03, Wed 21 Feb
Yes, I get that totally Andy, and I think it's been pretty successful as a 'non football' outlet as well. My thoughts were really more towards the people that needed help, or an outlet to discuss something a bit more personal and wouldn't perhaps want to see it in the public domain. There have been a few poignant threads on here lately, and what struck me was that, underneath the jocularity and banter, there is a real helpfulness, empathy and camaraderie among many of the SHA posters. I just wondered if a non-public domain 'safe haven' for people that need help and advice (as opposed to general discussion) might be worth a try.

It would be interesting to see if there was enough support for it. I think the role of being a moderator (although highly paid obviously!) is a bloody thankless task, having done it elsewhere, and wouldn't exactly jump at that chance, although I couldn't very well say 'no', seeing as I suggested it! Me and my big mouth. 😁
Make Blues Great Again
22:12, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
Who are these guitar friends you have started talking about?
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
22:22, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
Well it's up and running, maybe you should start a thread about the best plucking guitar or something to get things underway...
22:33, Wed 21 Feb
Fair Play new place where we can go.
Tam
23:02, Wed 21 Feb
Charcy
Who are these guitar friends you have started talking about?

They're mainly imaginary, of course, but I've been batting around on guitars for about 40 years, and made a few friends along the way, believe it or not!
Make Blues Great Again
23:07, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
What do they do that we can't do?
Tam
23:19, Wed 21 Feb
Charcy
What do they do that we can't do?

Nothing at all, but that forum isn't searchable via search engines and the problems were quite specific if anyone was to happen upon the thread. That's all really. SHA would have been my first port of call otherwise.
Make Blues Great Again
23:21, Wed 21 Feb
Tam
Is it because we didn't wear lipstick that time we went out? I knew you noticed.