12:29, Sun 5 Nov
Never been a massive fan of JJ and felt he was somewhat overrated but I was very impressed with him yesterday and in particular his passing game. Maybe my opinion on him was wrong or we have found his position
12:46, Sun 5 Nov
Why did we buy a player that couldn't run?

Bielik started off great but after the world cup he didn't return to form. So if we are looking at Rooney as manager, why are we buying players that won't necessarily fit in with the new manager.

Hopefully, they took the risk as they considered any potential sell-on value. But if there is none and he is stuck on the bench, its a bit frustrating.
12:53, Sun 5 Nov
Andy62
Never been a massive fan of JJ and felt he was somewhat overrated but I was very impressed with him yesterday and in particular his passing game. Maybe my opinion on him was wrong or we have found his position

Maybe helps that the manager appears to have confidence in him and you're right, his passing was very good yesterday. Total guesswork on my part but I reckon 80% of his Blues appearances have been from the bench
12:53, Sun 5 Nov
Yeah I’m the same regarding JJ, I want him to succeed but was struggling to see what he brings to the table.

On yesterday’s showing he has a future with blues and Rooney. His passing was decent and he kept it simple.

For me he’s made a platform for himself to push on.
12:59, Sun 5 Nov
Bielik and Long key players in a team that had started the season really well. But Long was defending deep and Bielik had Sunjic alongside him to do his leg work.

Neither have that luxury now so won't start much
13:00, Sun 5 Nov
Seems rather a waste of time and money to bring them in then, doesn't it.
The cold never bothered me anyway
13:01, Sun 5 Nov
Onel Hernandez
Why did we buy a player that couldn't run?

Bielik started off great but after the world cup he didn't return to form. So if we are looking at Rooney as manager, why are we buying players that won't necessarily fit in with the new manager.

Hopefully, they took the risk as they considered any potential sell-on value. But if there is none and he is stuck on the bench, it's a bit frustrating.

Didn't need to run under Eustace.

in a 4-2-3-1 you need someone who can play and someone who can run.

Bielik was horribly exposed when he was the sole number 6 in a 4-3-3
13:03, Sun 5 Nov
Newbs
Andy62

Maybe helps that the manager appears to have confidence in him and you're right, his passing was very good yesterday. Total guesswork on my part but I reckon 80% of his Blues appearances have been from the bench

IMO it wasn't to do with confidence - it's hard for James to start in a 4-2-3-1 where the 2 don't go forward much - he's far more suited to either a 4-3-3 or the 4-4-2 we saw yesterday where the midfielder need to be quick and aggressive.

Graveberch is a good example - was brilliant at Ajax, went to Bayern, Tuchel came in and played a 4-2-3-1 and he couldn't get in the team. Gone to a 4-3-3 at Liverpool and looks great again
13:09, Sun 5 Nov
Rasputin

Wagner and Co have been generally impressive so far but this isn't ideal if it is the case.
We either should have been recruiting players who work in Rooney's style of play (if the plan was to recruit him from the summer), or appoint a manager who would play in a style that suits are recruits.
13:11, Sun 5 Nov
Sunjic has an incredible engine

Bielik slows down the play with the ball and not as dynamic without it closing down

I dont think Rooney values Bielik much, visibly pissed off with him on the touchline on Wed night when he passed it back and slowed down the play

Similar with Dembele, doesn't press with as much energy as others and why hes probably on the bench
13:13, Sun 5 Nov
Iain_Gavin
Bielik and Long key players in a team that had started the season really well. But Long was defending deep and Bielik had Sunjic alongside him to do his leg work.

Bielik will still have a big part to play. Whether it's the fitness mentioned by another poster or a dip in form he has a lot to contribute.

Id say Rooney is fully aware of his ability and whether he fits into his system.

[thepfsa.co.uk]

Think we need to realise after yesterday that we might not set up the same way every week.
13:16, Sun 5 Nov
Yeah not really sure why people are writing him off.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
13:19, Sun 5 Nov
Snoop
Rasputin

Wagner and Co have been generally impressive so far but this isn't ideal if it is the case.
We either should have been recruiting players who work in Rooney's style of play (if the plan was to recruit him from the summer), or appoint a manager who would play in a style that suits are recruits.

Yep it seems that people are talking as if in this new tactical system, every single player has to be able to press otherwise they're not going to fit in at all, regardless of their other qualities and therefore will be replaced ASAP. Players like Dembele who the new owners recently purchased, who only a few weeks ago was being talked about as one of our most exciting and difference-making attacking players, is now being talked-down because he doesn't press well enough.

Most people on this forum seem to have bought into this complete change of footballing philosophy, but I don't get it. Why did we buy new players a few months ago who now don't fit and must be replaced, for a system that gets us 32% possession at home and when everybody knows that for a variety of reasons we are not in a position to replace half of the team we just built?
13:21, Sun 5 Nov
Yeah definitely doesn’t look great on those in charge.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
13:21, Sun 5 Nov
Chairman
Iain_Gavin

Bielik will still have a big part to play. Whether it's the fitness mentioned by another poster or a dip in form he has a lot to contribute.

Id say Rooney is fully aware of his ability and whether he fits into his system.

[thepfsa.co.uk]

Think we need to realise after yesterday that we might not set up the same way every week.

Agreed. 46 games, lots of twists, turns and injuries. Not knocking anyone’s opinions at all, but if there had been a thread like this back in pre-season, praising Sunjic, writing off Beilik and Long and suggesting James had a future here, plenty - quite possibly the majority- of posters would have been flabbergasted.