13:25, Sun 5 Nov
Super Hans
Yeah definitely doesn’t look great on those in charge.

But rather than judging those in charge at this point, I'm just trying to understand what it is they are trying to achieve (tactically) and why it has such strong support on here? Surely most successful football teams - despite having a specific playing style - usually set up with a variety of players with differeing skillsets which complement each other?

So why is it that all of a sudden, so many people on here are writing off any of our players (even the recently purchased ones) who aren't equipped to simply run around closing down the opposition for 90 minutes? Surely we also need players who might not excel at that aspect, but also have skills which enable us to make use of the possession we might gain by pressing the opposition?
13:35, Sun 5 Nov
I’d assume this pressing style is how we’re going to play under WR going forward (though it’s our 4th different style in 4 games so who knows). This style requires a squad of players who can press with minimal tiring for the whole game, look at Leeds on Friday for example.

When Dembele, Bielik etc came on yesterday we had the likes of Sunjic still trying to press while Dembele and Bielik weren’t which just opens up gaps for Ipswich to easily exploit. If this is the way we’re going to play we need players that will commit 100% to the press, it’s no coincidence Burke had his best game for us yesterday.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
13:40, Sun 5 Nov
Hence my point about Rooney - who they were (apparently) looking at for quite a while.

It's irrelevant what Eustace would do with a player if you are looking at a new manager.
13:58, Sun 5 Nov
If I look at the Leeds game and compare it, they were away against a top of the league team which were relegated last season and still have premier league quality players in the team. Although Leeds only had similar possession to us yesterday, they did manage to get six times as many shots on target as Leicester.

We were at home against a team who are flying, but have just got promoted to this division and didn't replace their entire team. Yet we only got less than half the shots on target of Ipswich. I'm not convinced at this point that binning any of our players who aren't suited to this new system is the right thing to do and on top of that, I don't think that it's likely to provide the no fear football we have been told is the aim.

Surely if we want no fear football which not only gets us promoted and set up for premier league football but also entertains the fans, we don't switch out huge chunks of the squad (some of which you have just bought) purely because they aren't equipped to chase the opposition around at a high pace for 90 minutes? Surely we need some confident ball players, some skillful dribblers, some enforcers and a variety of different skillsets in order to control possession and play without fear?

If we don't have any confident ball players, what's the point of trying to win possession? We're only equipped to hoof it and lose possession again in that case.
15:18, Sun 5 Nov
Mr Driscoll
Chairman
Iain_Gavin
Bielik and Long key players in a team that had started the season really well. But Long was defending deep and Bielik had Sunjic alongside him to do his leg work.

Neither have that luxury now so won't start much

Bielik will still have a big part to play. Whether it's the fitness mentioned by another poster or a dip in form he has a lot to contribute.

Id say Rooney is fully aware of his ability and whether he fits into his system.

[thepfsa.co.uk]

Think we need to realise after yesterday that we might not set up the same way every week.

Agreed. 46 games, lots of twists, turns and injuries. Not knocking anyone’s opinions at all, but if there had been a thread like this back in pre-season, praising Sunjic, writing off Beilik and Long and suggesting James had a future here, plenty - quite possibly the majority- of posters would have been flabbergasted.

Which is why I started it.

I think it is a little odd though talking about midfielders who can’t run and what are effectively luxury players if they’re not going to get back and help full backs in the position we’re playing or keep the opposition on the defensive. Sounds very passive. I do think most of our players actually can play an intensive, front foot game.
18:19, Sun 5 Nov
El Mayor
newblue
Surprised there hasn’t been more comment about Sunjic being in the team and Bielik not - as Bielik has been thought of as one of our most important players. What do people think?

I think Rooney is unhappy with Bielik’s level of fitness.

i heard a rumour it was an "attitude problem in training" the two could be linked
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
18:20, Sun 5 Nov
When Klopp first took over Liverpool it took a good few games (months actually) for their squad to get used to the high press and for it to really work. Some playerss were initially singled out as not coping. Some never did and were moved on but others, most notably Henderson, got on board, coped, and became central to the whole "project". Not saying Bielik will do likewise (or that he is as good as Henderson), but writing him off is pretty premature.
18:34, Sun 5 Nov
quark
El Mayor
newblue
Surprised there hasn’t been more comment about Sunjic being in the team and Bielik not - as Bielik has been thought of as one of our most important players. What do people think?

I think Rooney is unhappy with Bielik’s level of fitness.

i heard a rumour it was an "attitude problem in training" the two could be linked

I don’t believe you unless you can tell me the name of Rooney’s housekeepers goldfish.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
18:37, Sun 5 Nov
Bielek is a very good footballer, we should try and keep him happy.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
18:57, Sun 5 Nov
BlueWire
When Klopp first took over Liverpool it took a good few games (months actually) for their squad to get used to the high press and for it to really work. Some playerss were initially singled out as not coping. Some never did and were moved on but others, most notably Henderson, got on board, coped, and became central to the whole "project". Not saying Bielik will do likewise (or that he is as good as Henderson), but writing him off is pretty premature.

Although you are replying to me I presume you aren’t saying that’s my view..? It would be a massive presumption about one game - though I think it is pretty observable that Bielik is most happy playing very deep. Let’s hope he is as good as everybody says he is.
19:03, Sun 5 Nov
Wayne Effing Rooney
Exactly a few months ago we were over the moon and astonished that we were able to sign him on a permanent, now he's surplus to requirements. Doesn't make sense!
19:06, Sun 5 Nov
JohnP
Wayne Effing Rooney
Exactly a few months ago we were over the moon and astonished that we were able to sign him on a permanent, now he's surplus to requirements. Doesn't make sense!
It’s a squad game playing the way we did yesterday especially. He’s very much not surplus to requirements
Tony Fantastico
19:13, Sun 5 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
JohnP
Wayne Effing Rooney
It’s a squad game playing the way we did yesterday especially. He’s very much not surplus to requirements

I have to admit I don’t get why people are so binary about this.

Bielik didn’t fit yesterday but there will be games when we need his skillset. We need variations of styles so we have a plan a, plan b etc.

More than ever it’s a squad game and as yesterday proved it’s not just about who starts a game but who finishes it.
19:19, Sun 5 Nov
👍
Tony Fantastico
19:19, Sun 5 Nov
I still think it would have surprised a lot of people yesterday, and it worked pretty well. That’s interesting, as was Rooney’s comment that he wants to have anybody coming off the bench to have the same intensity as we had for the first half. That will apply whatever system we play.