15:18, Wed 15 Nov
The Flying Elephant in Solihull as well. Used to be the old Red House pub on Hermitage Road
15:33, Wed 15 Nov
NOGS74
Nikola Zigic
Go

Initial shortlist:

Hen and Chickens
Merrymaid
Soho Tavern
Keg and Grill (this was superb Friday)
Covered Wagon
The JQ
The Sportsman

This post was requested and paid for on behalf of Andy and www.smallheathalliance.com

Are these places you have frequented yourself or just a cut and paste?

I live near the Covered Wagon so interested in a genuine review not some paid review where someone ate for free and gave them 5 out of 5.

Covered Wagon is decent, not top tier, however a really good place to have nearby if your local.
16:06, Wed 15 Nov
Bordesley not Small Heath
Heard good reports about the Summer House ( formerly the Shaftsmoor Pub, Shaftsmoor Lane)
Will be trying myself soon, normally go Covered Wagon

It's utter shit. Don't waste your time
16:09, Wed 15 Nov
blues
Bordesley not Small Heath
Heard good reports about the Summer House ( formerly the Shaftsmoor Pub, Shaftsmoor Lane)
Will be trying myself soon, normally go Covered Wagon

It's utter shit. Don't waste your time

Correct
17:20, Wed 15 Nov
generalBlue
The Vine
West Bromwich

Bit of a jaunt but we’ll worth it 👍
The one, the only, Merrymaid
21:01, Wed 15 Nov
I've not been to any of those named but every one I have been too has been totally uninspiring. I'm unlikely to go out of my way to try any of these that have been recommended...unless someone can add a little detail?

All the reviews just say they're great, like? Why so are these aforementioned places so good?
22:10, Wed 15 Nov
A shit load of Indian spicy meat with a naan and a pot of curry basically. What's not to like.

It's got me sold.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
23:37, Wed 15 Nov
What menu items did you order at Keg and Grill that were superb?

I know these menus are all much of a muchness, but anything really stand out?
23:42, Wed 15 Nov
You could do a similar BBQ at home with a little bit of effort. Just make sure it's a bit spicy and there are massive portions, but no real describable taste other than "Indian".

It's fast food you can have sitting at a canteen table.
Ivy Bush B66
Garden Gate Hamstead Hill
Sportsman West Bromwich
Soho Tavern Handsworth
Red Lion West Bromwich
10:20, Thu 16 Nov
You could also knock up a sous vide partridge breast with kohlrabi puree and morel mushroom jus at home but that’s not the point.
10:23, Thu 16 Nov
I’d still sooner have a curry in them rather than just gorging on a load of meat
Tony Fantastico
10:26, Thu 16 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
I’d still sooner have a curry in them rather than just gorging on a load of meat

It's the novelty for me Rab, there's a ridiculous amount of curry houses per capita round by me, I can get a curry any time and a decent one too- though not your old school Balti type.

For ages the only way I could get a Desi grill was to go to Birmingham (or West Brom etc), so would always go for the meat.

Since we had the Arms open in Tamworth I've had the curries a bit more often but when I go to a new one I've not tried before I always have a grill just to see how it is.

To answer about the Keg and grill, nothing in particular (though the Fish Pakora was the best I've had actually), but all of it was just very nice. The curry sauce (Balti) was bang on too.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
10:36, Thu 16 Nov
Fair
Tony Fantastico