00:19, Sat 2 Dec
Tell me a central midfielder who passes the ball better than him in our team?

If you let him play his game, he retains the ball.
00:24, Sat 2 Dec
In the defensive third, with the team defending on the edge of the box.
00:24, Sat 2 Dec
My point is, look past the form and think what’s changed? He was playing like a commanding leader at the start of the season. He looks run ragged now.

What’s changed?

Downed tools
00:56, Sat 2 Dec
Yes, I will
Gazball?
01:11, Sat 2 Dec
Trev
My point is, look past the form and think what’s changed? He was playing like a commanding leader at the start of the season. He looks run ragged now.

What’s changed?
The style of play...front footed possession based football is what we as a club are playing in all BCFC teams inc the Women. There seems to be players who have not yet adapted or are not good enough to play this. We won't build a team around a player that does not fit this system. The "play to x player(s) strengths" that would not be front footed possession based football no longer applies. Once you accept this you can see what is needed.
Partisan Blues Fan
Trev

What’s changed?
The style of play...front footed possession based football is what we as a club are playing in all BCFC teams inc the Women. There seems to be players who have not yet adapted or are not good enough to play this. We won't build a team around a player that does not fit this system. The "play to x player(s) strengths" that would not be front footed possession based football no longer applies. Once you accept this you can see what is needed.

And where and how are we suddenly going to get the opportunity to spend the sort of money that means we can replace all of these players with others that can do this well enough to win matches playing like like this?
02:03, Sat 2 Dec
newblue
Hardly weird. Football fans regularly declare players ‘dogshit’ one week and world beaters two games later. And vice versa.

Yep. I remember when a lot of people (one of whom might bear a striking resemblance to me) were declaring Mikel San José 'Rolls Royce'.
03:52, Sat 2 Dec
Partisan Blues Fan
Trev

What’s changed?

And where and how are we suddenly going to get the opportunity to spend the sort of money that means we can replace all of these players with others that can do this well enough to win matches playing like like this?

There’s the problem right there. Only the fans (some of the fans) want it to happen suddenly despite the board and the coaching staff repeatedly saying it will take time.
06:43, Sat 2 Dec
QBBC2
Partisan Blues Fan
Trev

What’s changed?

There’s the problem right there. Only the fans (some of the fans) want it to happen suddenly despite the board and the coaching staff repeatedly saying it will take time.

That's your best post for years. 😁😁
Succinct
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
08:11, Sat 2 Dec
Partisan Blues Fan
Trev

What’s changed?

This is fine until your team just stops playing well. If he needs 1 or 2 transfer windows to get his own players in, he still needs to get the best out of what he has. In my opinion Sanderson is our best centre back and bielick is our best midfielder.

Both are now struggling. People were optimistic about the game midweek. We let 3 goals in in 15 minutes. We were never close to winning that football match.
08:20, Sat 2 Dec
jeffwealands
Will it ever succeed?

Get Rooney in, up the profile, increase the revenue, get rid, get a decent manager in to spend it in the future and move us forward. In those terms then yes, a commercial success and a means to an end. They’re playing the long game.
johnthefence
jeffwealands
Will it ever succeed?

Get Rooney in, up the profile, increase the revenue, get rid, get a decent manager in to spend it in the future and move us forward. In those terms then yes, a commercial success and a means to an end. They’re playing the long game.
Sort of how I see him teally. From Knightheads perspective if Rooney comes good even better as promotion under Rooney to the prem would be a massive revenue increase. Its a win win for them this way, yes a bit of a gamble but Rooney at worst will be the 1st building block on the field to where they want to go/take us.
08:47, Sat 2 Dec
Trev
Partisan Blues Fan
Trev

What’s changed?

This is fine until your team just stops playing well. If he needs 1 or 2 transfer windows to get his own players in, he still needs to get the best out of what he has. In my opinion Sanderson is our best centre back and bielick is our best midfielder.

Both are now struggling. People were optimistic about the game midweek. We let 3 goals in in 15 minutes. We were never close to winning that football match.
Put away a 5th of our chances and we score at least 5....it both those players you mention cant play our new style then they are not our best defender or midfielder. If they cant evolve then they will be moved on. Forward as in the city's motto. No point looking to the past.
08:47, Sat 2 Dec
That's not correct. We were the better team over the 90. Don't get me wrong, I was fuming over Rooney's appointment, but you can see glimmers of the plan starting to come together. The central defence remains the problem, and as you rightly say struggling with a system they're not used to.

I think we've got enough about us to stay up this season, we'll just have to wade through the remainder and see what players they can bring in next summer.

Personally I'd try swapping Bielik and Aiwu's positions. Both can play there, and build the midfield around Jordan James who can pick a pass. Bielik would strengthen the back 4 IMHO. I'd also like to see Ruddy dropped and Etheridge in his place, but that's a story for another thread..
09:33, Sat 2 Dec
Yes. I don’t even have the slightest doubt. Not this season. Some improvements next season and we will be promoted the season after, playing the sort of football that will make us competitive in the Premier.

Just supposing we had been promoted under Eustace, playing as we did. It would have been brilliant, but there is no way would we have survived in the top flight.

A long term project isn’t just about getting into the Prem, it’s about staying there and making an impact. We need to play possession football to do that. Most Premiership sides do, and those that don’t won’t be there for long.

Rooney will deliver. There will be some disappointments along the way, but it’s a marathon not a sprint.