12:32, Wed 27 Dec
666VAN
I know it's not a popular opinion, as it suggests they may have made a mistake.... But for me, from the press releases in October, the owners dictated the style of play. The current manager is just their vessel to deliver it.

The manager matters, just because the owners want a style implemented does not mean anyone can deliver it or no one for that matter.

When it was first rumoured that Rooney may take over as manager I had no previous dislike of him at all, an England legend, I'd love someone of that calibre to lead us.

However what I felt before he ever arrived at St Andrews is that he does not come across as an intellectual, deep thinking football anayisis.

He was a street footballer, so naturally gifted but no one ever though he has the make up to go on and become a great or even good manager.

His high profile lead me and others to guess how he would not be great at delivering a message to players to go out an do a job.

All fears have been confirmed.

Unless he is replaced it will end far worse than ever feared.
12:35, Wed 27 Dec
Super Hans
It’s bollocks that implementing a new style takes time and short term pain.

Stoke in a week look miles better than they did previously. Howe at Newcastle took the shite Bruce was peddling and got them playing nice stuff even before the transfer window.

I think it can work quickly if you have a clear sense of the club before you arrive. I always felt, and I might be wrong, that Rooney just rocked up without much of an idea of us.
12:50, Wed 27 Dec
Charcy
Robert Hopkins
Monk / Rowett. Both did it here, its easy know the players you are coaching create a style they can play.

Play them to their strengths, don't try to make them fit a system. It's worked for years in every industry in the world, but our Wayne knows better clearly.

Monk and Rowett went to a defensive style of play that's hard to beat. Personally that's not the direction I want to go in. It's also not the one the owners want to go in.

To the point about fitting the players, that's the opposite of what clubs should be doing. You should decide on a system and then get the players to fit it in order to progress. Which I believe is what we are trying to do. The top four don't play the way Rowett and Monk did.

I know people keep using Luton but they're an exception not the norm.

Then why not replace the manager in the summer? Why spend what little we can acquiring players that are now deemed by many of the fans as not good enough for the new manager's system. It's chaotic and wasteful and doesn't indicate good leadership from the top.

Personally, I don't trust Rooney and wouldn't give him a penny in Jan as I can imagine him being sacked and then we're left with more expansive mistakes.
13:04, Wed 27 Dec
Zublue
I’m just wondering how Schumacher can go to Stoke and get them playing in the manner they did, with 2 weeks work and we are still struggling to find an effective system in 3 months?
I think this proves that a good coach can get big results just by getting your shape and system right. They looked a good cohesive unit and their defensive shape was very good whereas our shape? was a shambles. We had headless chickens running out of position and I don’t think I’ve seen a worse defensive display since the dark days of the 80’s.
I am trying to give WR time but I don’t think he has the tactical nouse to turn this around.

Come on, he's got a goalless draw against Millwall when they could so easily have lost to last kick of match when Millwall squandered a one on one and then us who were clueless and abject and would have made the Dog & Duck look like Barca
13:09, Wed 27 Dec
bluer than blues
Charcy
Robert Hopkins
Monk / Rowett. Both did it here, its easy know the players you are coaching create a style they can play.

Play them to their strengths, don't try to make them fit a system. It's worked for years in every industry in the world, but our Wayne knows better clearly.

Monk and Rowett went to a defensive style of play that's hard to beat. Personally that's not the direction I want to go in. It's also not the one the owners want to go in.

To the point about fitting the players, that's the opposite of what clubs should be doing. You should decide on a system and then get the players to fit it in order to progress. Which I believe is what we are trying to do. The top four don't play the way Rowett and Monk did.

Then why not replace the manager in the summer? Why spend what little we can acquiring players that are now deemed by many of the fans as not good enough for the new manager's system. It's chaotic and wasteful and doesn't indicate good leadership from the top.

Personally, I don't trust Rooney and wouldn't give him a penny in Jan as I can imagine him being sacked and then we're left with more expansive mistakes.

I think we should have replaced Eustace last Summer as I think he was never going to be their man.

I actually think we didn't because Rooney was who they identified and he was contracted to the MLS until at least October.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
gerry1875
Zublue
I’m just wondering how Schumacher can go to Stoke and get them playing in the manner they did, with 2 weeks work and we are still struggling to find an effective system in 3 months?
I think this proves that a good coach can get big results just by getting your shape and system right. They looked a good cohesive unit and their defensive shape was very good whereas our shape? was a shambles. We had headless chickens running out of position and I don’t think I’ve seen a worse defensive display since the dark days of the 80’s.
I am trying to give WR time but I don’t think he has the tactical nouse to turn this around.
He has not turned them around in 2 weeks, Stoke had nothing to play against yesterday, I think a team of pigeons would have given them a tougher game, we were absolute crap and not because Stoke made us look crap, we were the masters of our own shit show

Harsh on schumacher!

If Rooney was the newly appointed manager of stoke visiting our shambles yesterday do you think they would have won 3-1? Nope

You make it sound easy but Schumacher has had a good start, the type of start you want from a new manager
Bordesley not Small Heath
gerry1875
Zublue
He has not turned them around in 2 weeks, Stoke had nothing to play against yesterday, I think a team of pigeons would have given them a tougher game, we were absolute crap and not because Stoke made us look crap, we were the masters of our own shit show

Harsh on schumacher!

If Rooney was the newly appointed manager of stoke visiting our shambles yesterday do you think they would have won 3-1? Nope

You make it sound easy but Schumacher has had a good start, the type of start you want from a new manager
Not really harsh, we were awful and they won't get an easier game again this season, we won't be that bad again at their place in January
16:13, Wed 27 Dec
I dunno how you can say that with confidence, we've been that bad in 8 of his 13 games
Happy Clapper
16:15, Wed 27 Dec
El Mayor
Charcy
Robert Hopkins

I might be well off here, but I suspect it’s easier to come into a disorganised side and make it organised and hard to beat, rather than come into a defensive counter attacking side and make it a possession based attacking outfit.

I don't think you are off at all, I think that is exactly right.
Up the feckin Blues
KES
17:59, Wed 27 Dec
El Mayor
Charcy
Robert Hopkins

I might be well off here, but I suspect it’s easier to come into a disorganised side and make it organised and hard to beat, rather than come into a defensive counter attacking side and make it a possession based attacking outfit.

I think your stating the bleedin obvious
18:08, Wed 27 Dec
Le Mod
I dunno how you can say that with confidence, we've been that bad in 8 of his 13 games
Hopefully a few of the injured back and maybe a new player or 2, I really cant believe how people are bigging up this stoke manager after our performance yesterday, I think i could have assembled a team yesterday and would have beaten Blues, watched the game again today and we were really awful, no excuses but Stoke were really given a very easy game to win, Sorry but I will say with confidence we wont be that bad again against them
18:19, Wed 27 Dec
I think it’s very possible we could be that bad again with Rooney in charge. I’d like to think if this carries on we’ll have a new manager by then, but no chance of that is there.
18:19, Wed 27 Dec
gerry1875
Le Mod
Hopefully a few of the injured back and maybe a new player or 2, I really cant believe how people are bigging up this stoke manager after our performance yesterday, I think i could have assembled a team yesterday and would have beaten Blues, watched the game again today and we were really awful, no excuses but Stoke were really given a very easy game to win, Sorry but I will say with confidence we wont be that bad again against them

Sorry we will be as bad as good old history proves…
Most league games lost in the last five years since january 1st 2019, top four leagues
Queens Park Rangers - 104
Birmingham - 101
Doncaster - 100
Reading - 99
Huddersfield - 96

And 4th in the list for the last 10 years….KRO
Just a perfect day. Drink sangria in the park And then later, when it gets dark...We go home
18:21, Wed 27 Dec
All true - the local convent team would have trounced us. But that’s not great is it at this stage?
And, as has already been said, we have seen that same performance, and (so called) “tactics” in a large proportion of his games.
Slightly different shades of sh@t I think it’s called
18:48, Wed 27 Dec
666VAN
I know it's not a popular opinion, as it suggests they may have made a mistake.... But for me, from the press releases in October, the owners dictated the style of play. The current manager is just their vessel to deliver it.

The manager matters, just because the owners want a style implemented does not mean anyone can deliver it or no one for that matter.

When it was first rumoured that Rooney may take over as manager I had no previous dislike of him at all, an England legend, I'd love someone of that calibre to lead us.

However what I felt before he ever arrived at St Andrews is that he does not come across as an intellectual, deep thinking football anayisis.

He was a street footballer, so naturally gifted but no one ever though he has the make up to go on and become a great or even good manager.

His high profile lead me and others to guess how he would not be great at delivering a message to players to go out an do a job.

All fears have been confirmed.

Unless he is replaced it will end far worse than ever feared.

Plenty of people who have actually worked with him think he has a very good knowledge of the game and has what it takes to be a good manager. Presenting your biased views as facts and your guesses as correct are premature.