22:50, Sat 6 Jan
Wrexham at home
First time the draw was broadcast was 1935–36.

The Birmingham Gazette was not impressed.

Linked Image
00:08, Sun 7 Jan
Worthy
The Villa 2nd in table… we couldn’t beat Hull.
And you think that? . Shake your noggin son.
They are too good for us . Hard I know. But they are.

A severely weakened Hull at that. Don’t get me wrong, today was much better, but I agree with you.
00:16, Sun 7 Jan
We were far closer to Arsenal then than we are to them now. Steer clear.
00:24, Sun 7 Jan
I don't want to play them anymore than you - just pointing out that shocks can hapoen in cup competitions....
00:29, Sun 7 Jan
Happier times

[fb.watch]?
00:57, Sun 7 Jan
Pearcy
Worthy
The Villa 2nd in table… we couldn’t beat Hull.
And you think that? . Shake your noggin son.
They are too good for us . Hard I know. But they are.

I know you're probably 99% right, but using that logic we wouldn't have beaten Arsenal in the cup and there would never be any FA Cup 'shocks'....

Not really, we were a mid table Premier League club at the time and Arsenal were a fair few years post formidable.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
05:49, Sun 7 Jan
Hate to admit it, but I wouldn't want to face vile now - just be another reason for the staffs paraffins to take the piss out of us after their 250 million quid squad does us over. Wait until Knighthead have had us for another season at least.
Up the feckin Blues
07:21, Sun 7 Jan
Panda
Number 32 against number 18. Aston Villa

Anyone but them.

Why?

Grounds open now.. we would fill it and be well up for it

We’d get effing tore apart by them.
07:52, Sun 7 Jan
Mister Mutley
The regular away support deserve spurs away. New Ground for them.

In all likelihood if we got a good draw we would loose the replay.

I’m more disappointed than I should be tonight. Always annoying to let in a late goal.

Yeah, for some reason yesterday's result really pissed me off.
Just seemed inevitable we were going to throw it away at the end, and have to go through another shitty 3rd round replay, this time against Hull, probably drag it out to pens then go out.
08:12, Sun 7 Jan
Tom TheProject Brady
Panda
Number 32 against number 18. Aston Villa

Anyone but them.

Why?

Grounds open now.. we would fill it and be well up for it

We’d get effing tore apart by them.
They would batter us I agree, the gap between them and us is the biggest it has been ever, I couldn't t put up with the humiliation and the gloating in the weeks that follow.
08:18, Sun 7 Jan
They have been too good lots of times but we could still enjoy it .
08:20, Sun 7 Jan
On this point, do you think the phrase "the magic of the cup" needs to finally be buried? The only upset so far has been Maidenhead's victory over Stevenage. The PL clubs easily swatted away their Championship opponents and with the three promoted clubs staring at relegation and the three relegated clubs in the top four of the Champ, has the chasam finally become to big to bridge?
I've thought that for a while, between 2017 and 2022 only five non-Premier League sides made the quarter-finals. One of those was Bournemouth who were Premier League the season before and after, and one of those was Forest en route to promotion. Compare that to the past, I think all-PL quarters only happened once before 2013.

Last season was half-and-half, but two of those got promoted as well.

Obviously the luck of the draw plays a part, and this year's third round was mostly rank. Very few classic Romance ties. Same as last season.
Those are interesting stats.

If all three promoted teams come back down and all three relegated teams go back up, do you think there would be calls to address the imbalance?

I know the only time all three promoted teams went straight back was 1997-98. But I don't think there's ever been a season when all six teams simply went back the other way.