12:37, Wed 27 Mar
Edit: beaten to it
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
12:39, Wed 27 Mar
Trips along the canal anyone? 🤣

I used to do that a lot in the 90s.

LSD is ace.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
14:23, Wed 27 Mar
Tom TheProject Brady
If there was the money, will and capability to do this then I think land could be used on Midland St for a multi-platform station. Bear in mind I have no engineering or transport planning experience, just a few musings.

Midland Street is surrounded on all 3 sides by railway. It also sits directly west of Wheels. All that is on the road is some old warehouses, looking at Google Maps very few seem in use.

One of the lines has two tracks which sweep round to New St, which could provide direct access to New St and then north Brum and the black country. This wouldn’t directly impede the WCML.

Another of the lines, in one direction joins with the line towards Water Orton and then on to Tamworth/Nuneaton, there is also a split on that line to the Sutton Park line which carries on to Walsall. In the other direction it joins up with the Camp Hill line and heads to South Brum and then on to Redditch/Bromsgrove. It also splits near Bordesley Circus and has a line which heads towards Solihull/Shirley and then onwards to Warwick/Stratford. If the Chords at Camp Hill ever get built then it would also connect to Moor St.

This would connect large swathes of areas of Greater Birmingham for matchdays and all the other activities which the site will be hosting. It also gives the local population access to a large degree of public transport.

It's a good idea but you'll be disrupting the busiest line in the country (WCML), the busiest line in the city (Cross City), the main line that Cross Country trains use on their routes linking the north east and south west, and an important freight line which bypasses the city centre congestion.

Chances of a station there are infinitely small.

It is entirely possible to build a new station and recover the old one without stopping trains for a significant period.

It has been done multiple times on the south wales main line and was done more recently in Scotland for Reston Station, although it required the lines to be closed for a weekend to insert a footbridge
15:37, Wed 27 Mar
Legal_Bluenose
Trips along the canal anyone? 🤣

I used to do that a lot in the 90s.

LSD is ace.

Used to? You still do 🙃
15:44, Wed 27 Mar
Tom TheProject Brady
If there was the money, will and capability to do this then I think land could be used on Midland St for a multi-platform station. Bear in mind I have no engineering or transport planning experience, just a few musings.

Midland Street is surrounded on all 3 sides by railway. It also sits directly west of Wheels. All that is on the road is some old warehouses, looking at Google Maps very few seem in use.

One of the lines has two tracks which sweep round to New St, which could provide direct access to New St and then north Brum and the black country. This wouldn’t directly impede the WCML.

Another of the lines, in one direction joins with the line towards Water Orton and then on to Tamworth/Nuneaton, there is also a split on that line to the Sutton Park line which carries on to Walsall. In the other direction it joins up with the Camp Hill line and heads to South Brum and then on to Redditch/Bromsgrove. It also splits near Bordesley Circus and has a line which heads towards Solihull/Shirley and then onwards to Warwick/Stratford. If the Chords at Camp Hill ever get built then it would also connect to Moor St.

This would connect large swathes of areas of Greater Birmingham for matchdays and all the other activities which the site will be hosting. It also gives the local population access to a large degree of public transport.

It's a good idea but you'll be disrupting the busiest line in the country (WCML), the busiest line in the city (Cross City), the main line that Cross Country trains use on their routes linking the north east and south west, and an important freight line which bypasses the city centre congestion.

Chances of a station there are infinitely small.

It is entirely possible to build a new station and recover the old one without stopping trains for a significant period.

It has been done multiple times on the south wales main line and was done more recently in Scotland for Reston Station, although it required the lines to be closed for a weekend to insert a footbridge

Reston or south Wales stations weren’t built at a junction of 3 busy lines like what the person I replied to was on about. The earthworks required would necessitate line closures that would be unacceptably long.

Expanding Adderley Station is possible, as I said, but it doesn’t solve the problem of where you get the extra trains to stop there from. There’s no capacity at New Street for extras and making more already running local trains stop there won’t (until HS2 is well embedded) happen because express trains get priority and there is very little pathing room available.
19:21, Wed 27 Mar
The point about HS2 taking demand pressure off the WCML is IMO right but for the wrong reasons.

HS2 takes away the demand for Birmingham to London trips. It does nothing for Birmingham-Northampton or Birmingham-MK. These still need to be a Euston service with intermediate stops. Perhaps the faster HS2 alternative will open up leeway for existing intercity services to add a call at Adderley Park on match days, given the speedy direct alternative for London-bound travellers via Curzon Street?

This would of course necessitate platform extensions and improvements at Adderley Park.
19:46, Wed 27 Mar
New platform adjacent to the City of Birmingham Hotel@Knightheadpark let away fans check into their rooms before visiting the shops and bars en route to the Boeing, McDonald's,JLR stadium @knightheadpark
20:09, Wed 27 Mar
Istanblue
The point about HS2 taking demand pressure off the WCML is IMO right but for the wrong reasons.

HS2 takes away the demand for Birmingham to London trips. It does nothing for Birmingham-Northampton or Birmingham-MK. These still need to be a Euston service with intermediate stops. Perhaps the faster HS2 alternative will open up leeway for existing intercity services to add a call at Adderley Park on match days, given the speedy direct alternative for London-bound travellers via Curzon Street?

This would of course necessitate platform extensions and improvements at Adderley Park.

No one wants to go to Northampton.
21:12, Wed 27 Mar
I for one have never been, but I have been to Southampton.

Can also rule out Scunthorpe.
21:28, Wed 27 Mar
Duddeston is not on the WCML. Its on the cross city line Longbridge to Lichfield.
Adderley Park is a bit rundown and could be rebuilt on the south side of Bordesley Grn Rd with the platforms on a siding off the mainline. It would cost a few Bob though.
22:28, Wed 27 Mar
The line that runs past the ground swings round to New St. Am I right in saying that it is serviced by it's own separate line into New St? Just thinking they could build a station on that line to the west of the wheels site which wouldn't affect the busy main line to London etc. Could run from platform 12.

Also pretty sure that I have seen artistic impressions of a green area under the new HS2 line. Effectively a green, leisurely walkway underneath the HS2 line stretching down to the ring road. Don't think there were any plans further than that though.

Depending on the size of the stadium I would also imagine a bit of work would need to be done to facilitate access by car. Maybe utilizing Landor St as a one way in and one way out on event days.

Exciting times.
22:38, Wed 27 Mar
There were plans to reopen the Camp Hill line (Kings Norton to New St) to passengers with renewed stations at King's Heath, Moseley and Camp Hill. Its currently used as a freight only bypass of New St.
23:40, Wed 27 Mar
brierleyblue
The line that runs past the ground swings round to New St. Am I right in saying that it is serviced by it's own separate line into New St? Just thinking they could build a station on that line to the west of the wheels site which wouldn't affect the busy main line to London etc. Could run from platform 12.

Also pretty sure that I have seen artistic impressions of a green area under the new HS2 line. Effectively a green, leisurely walkway underneath the HS2 line stretching down to the ring road. Don't think there were any plans further than that though.

Depending on the size of the stadium I would also imagine a bit of work would need to be done to facilitate access by car. Maybe utilizing Landor St as a one way in and one way out on event days.

Exciting times.

This looks like what they have in mind for the Eastside development. [www.aukettswanke.com] Look for Eastside Locks.

I imagine that Eastside Locks could become the pre match haunt for many. Or the White Tower for the old skool.
00:47, Thu 28 Mar
A Camp Hill Line station would pretty much have to be on Garrison Lane due to the positioning of the junction, but that at least is a more likely than a Midland Street station slap bang in the middle of that junction and on the WCML.

The reopening of the Camp Hill Line is due by the end of this year, following the typical bungling and delays that come with any infrastructure project in this country these days. The esteemed train guru TTPB may be able to confirm, but the talk from Andrea Strada was that Birmingham to Hereford trains would be redirected to service the reinstalled line.
06:11, Thu 28 Mar
The esteemed train guru TTPB may be able to confirm, but the talk from Andrea Strada was that Birmingham to Hereford trains would be redirected to service the reinstalled line.

The idea is, if they build the Bordesley south chord (the one which necessitates the demolition of Bordesley station) it will enable some trains from the Cross City line to use Moor Street.

I think the current plans are for the Hereford/Worcester fast trains that currently use New Street to swap to Moor Street, likewise Redditch Cross City trains leaving Bromsgrove trains to serve the current route into New Street. The splitting of Redditch and Bromsgrove services will enable pretty much a doubling of current service levels on the X City south of Brum but would require a remodelling of Longbridge station to fit an island platform.

There is also a proposed Bordesley North chord which will enable the current Cross Country trains on the Cardiff to Nottingham route to run through Moor Street (I think they mooted reinstating the stop at Bromsgrove too but I’m not sure).

This one simple line at Bordesley will transform New Street with plenty of extra capacity. I did hear rumours of GWR extending some of their Worcester-Oxford-London trains through Bromsgrove and into New St which would be cool. It’s been a while since there’s been a Birmingham-Paddington service.