08:29, Tue 30 Apr
Super Hans
The stats are clearly flawed though. I don’t think anyone would say Stansfield is our 9th best player.

People are not going to like this, but I disagree.

People romanticise Stansfield cos he works hard, he scores goals and he’s a young lad.

However hard he works, there are many games where he has no impact and that is reflected in the stats. It’s all well and good chasing lost causes but if you don’t actually win any it’s not effective.

Chances missed like the one away to Huddersfield don’t help his stats either.

As i've said for months .... with one up front he needs to actually be lazier. Love the bloke's effort but whilst he's chasing here there and everywhere he's not putting himself in positions where a centre-forward should be
08:31, Tue 30 Apr
El Mayor
Super Hans
The stats are clearly flawed though. I don’t think anyone would say Stansfield is our 9th best player.

People romanticise Stansfield cos he works hard, he scores goals and he’s a young lad.

However hard he works, there are many games where he has no impact and that is reflected in the stats. It’s all well and good chasing lost causes but if you don’t actually win any it’s not effective.

Oh I 100% agree that Stansfield is overrated, though I don’t think the system he’s played in necessarily helps him either.

It ranks Dembele ahead of him, which is bollocks.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
08:38, Tue 30 Apr
Rags
Super Hans

As i've said for months .... with one up front he needs to actually be lazier. Love the bloke's effort but whilst he's chasing here there and everywhere he's not putting himself in positions where a centre-forward should be

Most of his goals for us recently have been from chasing lost causes.

But I do agree somewhat he needs to find more of a balance.
08:41, Tue 30 Apr
It’s a sad indictment of our attacking play that chasing lost causes is the best chance Stansfield has of scoring. A striker is entitled to expect chances to be created for them for the occasional tap in, rarely has that happened for him this season.
shd
08:41, Tue 30 Apr
bcfste
Rags
Super Hans

Or perhaps those players who should be chasing down those defenders have a crack at it IF as is being eluded too, it’s their job and not Stans
08:43, Tue 30 Apr
Rags
Super Hans

Well the one where he robbed the keeper is what he SHOULD be doing as a centre-forward ... ie putting pressure on the keeper ...... i actually think he's a good player who doesn't have a clue how to play as an outright centre-forward.

I was even dissapointed that Tony Mowbray put him upfront in a 4-2-3-1 when you consider that Mowbray has had excellent results with a false No9 in the past

Ruddy
Laird Sanderson Bielik Buchanan
Bacuna (Dozzell or James) Paik
Miyoshi Stansfield Dembele

would have been my starting 11 against Rotherham and Huddersfield
08:47, Tue 30 Apr
Super Hans
El Mayor
Super Hans

Oh I 100% agree that Stansfield is overrated, though I don’t think the system he’s played in necessarily helps him either.

It ranks Dembele ahead of him, which is bollocks.

Dembele has played far fewer games, and so has a smaller data set. This is something always to take into account with this sort of thing.
08:48, Tue 30 Apr
Super Hans

I’d disagree with that, the chasing and harrying will get on defenders nerves, irritate them and knacker them, making a mistake which we can profit from more likely.
09:00, Tue 30 Apr
For him and for Fulham this has been a hugely successful season. He has transition to a higher league than last year and actually improved his goal scoring record. He has had to play a demanding role week in week out. Fulham and Jay himself with have far better idea what he can become now and also what type of forward he is.

I agree that at times he is far too wasteful with his energy without the ball and then isn't necessarily sharp and disciplined enough when the ball is pushed forward to him isolated from the rest of the team. Simply put he isn't a lone striker, he isn't Clayton Donaldson who was a different level for us doing a similar job under the same manager.

I know, I know we didn't have the resource to bring in ANY proper centre forward for 2 whole seasons but the lack of options up front has killed us this season and that is not Jay's fault.
09:08, Tue 30 Apr
How the hell he’s scored as many as he has in this team is miracle.

I only know about moneyball from the film but isn’t it about looking beyond the stats and data, looking at underlying, hidden factors that show a player is better than bald stats suggest? That’s how the Blooms and Benhams of this world snap up bargains. Who then go for megabucks.

I don’t think Stansfields stats are showing just how good he is
09:09, Tue 30 Apr
GBBlue
For him and for Fulham this has been a hugely successful season. He has transition to a higher league than last year and actually improved his goal scoring record. He has had to play a demanding role week in week out. Fulham and Jay himself with have far better idea what he can become now and also what type of forward he is.

I agree that at times he is far too wasteful with his energy without the ball and then isn't necessarily sharp and disciplined enough when the ball is pushed forward to him isolated from the rest of the team. Simply put he isn't a lone striker, he isn't Clayton Donaldson who was a different level for us doing a similar job under the same manager.

I know, I know we didn't have the resource to bring in ANY proper centre forward for 2 whole seasons but the lack of options up front has killed us this season and that is not Jay's fault.

Totally agree. Far too much to ask a young, inexperienced, slight striker to lead the line alone in this division for a whole season. He would be great playing as a second striker alongside a Furlong or younger Juke.
09:13, Tue 30 Apr

I agree with all of that .... and we/Fulham will have also noticed that he stays injury free and can take some hard knocks and get himself back up. He may be slight but he doesn't let himself be bullied.

I know we hate looking across the A38 for lessons, but Watkins has had a very successful spell at Villa and puts it all down to being told NOT to run around as much, not to chase back as much and not to run the channels.
09:19, Tue 30 Apr
You seem a bit too trigger happy to call out white players?! Sigh 🙄😔
09:25, Tue 30 Apr
Just going off stats is very flawed! Overall blues should be sat in our nice and comfortable place of 17th according to who scored. As you are aware... We are not! I'll continue to call it as I see it. But I do agree with you on Stanfield but he definitely isn't helped by our team performance. If only we had a team of Lairds 🙄🙄
09:39, Tue 30 Apr
Rags
Rags
Super Hans

Well the one where he robbed the keeper is what he SHOULD be doing as a centre-forward ... ie putting pressure on the keeper ...... i actually think he's a good player who doesn't have a clue how to play as an outright centre-forward.

I was even dissapointed that Tony Mowbray put him upfront in a 4-2-3-1 when you consider that Mowbray has had excellent results with a false No9 in the past

Ruddy
Laird Sanderson Bielik Buchanan
Bacuna (Dozzell or James) Paik
Miyoshi Stansfield Dembele

would have been my starting 11 against Rotherham and Huddersfield

tbf Tony did play stansfield right wing his first game, and he looked useless. Now that was only 1 game, but whenever he has played on the wings for us he's looked anonymous. Now is that because we don't have the right striker in the middle I don't know, and we probably won't know unless stansfield bangs in 20 next year from the right wing for another team!