11:43, Thu 9 May
But it's not simply a case of where the blame lies for our relegation - all of them are to blame (with very few exceptions).

It's about what we do moving forwards. I don't see any benefits in keeping the likes of GG around for his 'leadership' qualities when firstly I don't even think they exist and secondly he isn't good enough on the pitch to warrant a new deal.

We can replace him with an actual leader at this level who can contribute to successful performances on the pitch as well, there are thousands of footballers out there who would give us better value than Gardner in my opinion. So why keep him around?

The only one I wouldn't mind keeping is Anderson and even then I think we can do better considering his injury record.
11:46, Thu 9 May
Exactly, Ipswich got promoted from League One with leaders like Luongo and Morsy running the midfield and orchestrating the team, not by having a geriatric on the bench who comes on once a month.
Happy Clapper
11:46, Thu 9 May
On Gardner I don't disagree at all. I think we're also very well stocked in his position and he's not someone I'd personally keep around - I was just making the point that I can kind of understand their thought process on him, even if I disagree.

I'm more fussed about Juke and Ruddy, and even then, if we let both go I wouldn't be upset at the club at all it'd just be a case of let's see who they're replaced with
11:48, Thu 9 May
I don't get it. It is like some degree of Stockholm syndrome amongst supporters.

Keeping people for leadership? I assume we mostly work and surely we all know that age does not equate directly to leadership qualities and equally being popular around the place does not equate to leadership qualities and sitting around on the sidelines and letting the others do the work does not equate to leadership qualities. If the club feel that Gary Gardner or Juke would make great coaches then employ them as coaches, don't keep them on because of some idea that we need wise old heads.

And all this about Dozzell being a must to sign, did I miss something here. He barely played and was just OK when he did. I fear we are falling into the trap that automatically 5/10 players in the championship become 9/10 players in League 1. The same arguments appear for re-signing Sunjic because he will be Pirlo when he faces Burton Albion or Oxford.

Ruddy is the only released/loanee I would consider and is plausible (i.e. ex Stansfield) if we cannot bring in a decent number 2 to compliment whoever the new main keeper will be.
11:49, Thu 9 May
We wont be well stocked in centre midfield soon. Sunjic, Paik, JJ will all be on their way, Dozzell has gone back.

Not a reason for keeping Gardner on though.
11:50, Thu 9 May
Reassuring on the finances front, thanks. I agree that buying mainly younger players who can improve is key, although going up straight away is also key and the two may not be completely compatible. Taking Barry Bannon for example would probably be a great buy in terms of getting promotion but no resale value (I'm ignoring other factors in this example).
11:55, Thu 9 May
mjd2505
On Gardner I don't disagree at all. I think we're also very well stocked in his position and he's not someone I'd personally keep around - I was just making the point that I can kind of understand their thought process on him, even if I disagree.

I'm more fussed about Juke and Ruddy, and even then, if we let both go I wouldn't be upset at the club at all it'd just be a case of let's see who they're replaced with

We're well stocked currently.
I'm not sure we will be well stocked in CM next season though.

Sunjic - contract up
Dozzell - loan is up - no idea if we will sign him (does he want to? Do we want to?)
JJ - imo, is likely to be off.
Bacuna - I think, will also likely be off.
Gardner - contract up

Currently I think that would then leave
Bielik - could go, also seems better for us at CB
Paik - could well be gone
Khela - 19 with half a season of Scottish football
Chang - 21 with a dozen first team games and a long injury lay off

If Khela and Chang aren't seen as ready for regular first team football, that is looking pretty light in CM. Possibly extremely light if Paik and Bielik go.
11:56, Thu 9 May
GBBlue
Keeping people for leadership? I assume we mostly work and surely we all know that age does not equate directly to leadership qualities and equally being popular around the place does not equate to leadership qualities and sitting around on the sidelines and letting the others do the work does not equate to leadership qualities. If the club feel that Gary Gardner or Juke would make great coaches then employ them as coaches, don't keep them on because of some idea that we need wise old heads.

Hence why I'm not suggesting we keep the likes of Marc Roberts and Scott Hogan, I'm talking about players who I believe have leadership qualities. And that's also the reason I'd get rid of Sanderson if we can or at least phase him out. He's pals with the squad sure, but he's let himself down massively this season in multiple ways.

Hagley Blue
We wont be well stocked in centre midfield soon. Sunjic, Paik, JJ will all be on their way, Dozzell has gone back.

Fair point
11:58, Thu 9 May
Not sure on Khela, but I reckon Chang is ready to be a part of the squad as long as his injury doesn't reoccur. Really liked the look of him from the glimpses last year.

Anyone know much about Josh Home? Not suggesting we fill our side with our youth, but didn't he captain the u-21s and do a solid job this year? Do we think he might be given a chance?
11:59, Thu 9 May
Hagley Blue

But if two of those leave it will be for profit. Sunjic leaving creates a huge opportunity to use his wages better. I agree that we have to go back up and an entirely inexperience team isn't the way forward. I think Pritchard however can be the Bannan for us is he stays fit. We also should be bringing Belik back into Midfield at the earliest opportunity. Going up but also doing it with a type of swagger and style that completes renews us for the Championship in 12 months time is equally important.
11:59, Thu 9 May
GBBlue
I don't get it. It is like some degree of Stockholm syndrome amongst supporters.

And all this about Dozzell being a must to sign, did I miss something here. He barely played and was just OK when he did. I fear we are falling into the trap that automatically 5/10 players in the championship become 9/10 players in League 1. The same arguments appear for re-signing Sunjic because he will be Pirlo when he faces Burton Albion or Oxford.

Ruddy is the only released/loanee I would consider and is plausible (i.e. ex Stansfield) if we cannot bring in a decent number 2 to compliment whoever the new main keeper will be.

Dozzell looked good under Mowbray a 7-8 out of 10 player and improving as he and the team adjusted to the manager's demands.
If we're looking to dominate possession and build from the back then he is exactly the profile of player we need.
12:20, Thu 9 May
Rab C Nesbitt
I’d want two footballing keepers tbh. Shouldn’t have to play a different way if one is injured

We could kill 2 birds with one stone here. Play GG as our ball playing goalie. Apparently we’re going to win every game by 6 anyway so it would be a waste to just put a keeper in.
He could even play facing his own goal so that when the ball comes to him, he can hook it over to the right or left back. We all know that this is the way forward.
12:36, Thu 9 May
GBBlue

Dozzell looked good under Mowbray a 7-8 out of 10 player and improving as he and the team adjusted to the manager's demands.
If we're looking to dominate possession and build from the back then he is exactly the profile of player we need.

Dozzell is/was the best midfielder at the club, bar none, if you are playing Mowbray-ball
12:45, Thu 9 May
JohnP
Reassuring on the finances front, thanks. I agree that buying mainly younger players who can improve is key, although going up straight away is also key and the two may not be completely compatible. Taking Barry Bannon for example would probably be a great buy in terms of getting promotion but no resale value (I'm ignoring other factors in this example).

Totally agree. We went a season with only 3 away wins because our squad struggled with motivation. We need some leaders in the squad.

I disagree with keeping Gardner and Juke etc because the leaders have to be on the pitch leading by example and neither of them are capable of doing that.

I hate Bannan but he’s a great example. He controls the game for Sheffield Weds - knows when to slow the game down, knows when to wind the opposition up, knows when to have a word with his players to calm them down and he’s often one of the best players on the pitch for them.
12:51, Thu 9 May
Where is the evidence of all these leadership qualities? And why did none of them have any effect in the last 5 years?