DES
11:46, Tue 24 Mar
Steve, you said your first hero was Eddie brown, he is actually credited with creating the first goal celebrations, by all accounts a great character!

Kro
11:51, Tue 24 Mar
I remember that well. Funny how a few things stick in your mind forever. That and when he knocked out Johnny Haynes.
Also I was on the kop when I witnessed the most dirty thing that I have ever seen on a football match. We were playing Oxford United and Bertie had been giving Ron Saunders a torrid time. Whilst play was at the other end he stamped on Berties heel from behind. The act of a malicious coward.
Alive: but not living.
11:57, Tue 24 Mar
Another one. We were playing Villa and their goalie had received lengthy treatment, before Bertie was about to take a corner.

Bertie walked to the ball and tapped it out for a goal kick. Mass puzzlement.

Bertie explained years later. "I saw the goalie looking a bit unsteady after treatment and thought we want to win, but not if he gets a serious injury, so I put the ball out."

I think we won anyway.

Younger supporters will be getting a vivid picture of what Bertie was like as a player and a man from this thread.
www.sevenstarphotography.co.uk
12:17, Tue 24 Mar
wannabee bailey
Another one. We were playing Villa and their goalie had received lengthy treatment, before Bertie was about to take a corner.

Bertie walked to the ball and tapped it out for a goal kick. Mass puzzlement.

Bertie explained years later. "I saw the goalie looking a bit unsteady after treatment and thought we want to win, but not if he gets a serious injury, so I put the ball out."

I think we won anyway.

Younger supporters will be getting a vivid picture of what Bertie was like as a player and a man from this thread.

It's OK we won easily I seem to recall.
12:26, Tue 24 Mar
3-2 is my recollection, but wouldn't swear to it.
12:26, Tue 24 Mar
spionkop
I remember that well. Funny how a few things stick in your mind forever. That and when he knocked out Johnny Haynes.
Also I was on the kop when I witnessed the most dirty thing that I have ever seen on a football match. We were playing Oxford United and Bertie had been giving Ron Saunders a torrid time. Whilst play was at the other end he stamped on Berties heel from behind. The act of a malicious coward.

I think your memory may be playing tricks. We didn't play Oxford until 1968 by which time Bertie had long been back at Celtic.

Also wouldn't it have been Atkinson rather than Saunders?
DES
12:43, Tue 24 Mar
Saunders was an old style centre forward and tough as teak, as was Bertie, can’t imagine either of them trying cowardly tackles from behind.
Think someone must be getting players or eras mixed up.
While Bertie was with us saunders played for gillingham and Pompey?

Kro
12:57, Tue 24 Mar
DES
DES
merseypete
Yes, remember that. I think he was sent off twice that season, the next one was for nutting Ron Yeats! Mainly a left winger for us though he did play inside left later on, and that’s where he played when he went back to Celtic.
That’s correct pete, he morphed into an old fashioned number10 midfield general for Celtic, and he helped pile the pressure on inter in that 67 European cup final, celtics attacking play proved to good for the Italian defender.
They won 2.1 to record first British won in that competition, after being 1.0 down to an early penalty!
Kro

Now one of just five Lisbon Lions still with us.
DES
14:48, Tue 24 Mar
Wolvobluenose
DES
merseypete
Yes, remember that. I think he was sent off twice that season, the next one was for nutting Ron Yeats! Mainly a left winger for us though he did play inside left later on, and that’s where he played when he went back to Celtic.
That’s correct pete, he morphed into an old fashioned number10 midfield general for Celtic, and he helped pile the pressure on inter in that 67 European cup final, celtics attacking play proved to good for the Italian defender.
They won 2.1 to record first British won in that competition, after being 1.0 down to an early penalty!
Kro

Only five! Lennox Bertie, Jim Craig? John Clarke? Steve charmers? I am just guessing!
15:03, Tue 24 Mar
DES
When the current restrictions end, there MUST be An Audience With Bertie Auld organised.
18:03, Tue 24 Mar
DES
DES
Wolvobluenose
DES
merseypete
Kro

Only five! Lennox Bertie, Jim Craig? John Clarke? Steve charmers? I am just guessing!

The five still with us are - Jim Craig, John Clark, Bobby Lennox, Willie Wallace, and Bertie. The six sadly no longer here are -Ronnie Simpson, Tommy Gemmell, Bobby Murdoch, Jimmy Johnstone, Billy McNeill, and Steve Chalmers, who passed away within days of Billy McNeill.
DES
18:57, Tue 24 Mar
No subs in those days Wolvo so just the 11 but Harry hood I think played quite a few games that year as did a striker who they signed from Motherwell, was it Dixie dean?
That match in 67 was so significant because inters manager Herrera? Was master of that cattenechia defensive formation while Stein wAs 100% attack minded.
Celts should have won it again in 1970? When they lost in final to Feyenoord as I recall!

Kro
19:51, Tue 24 Mar
I think you will find it was Gerry Byrne the Liverpool full back that received the Glasgow kiss.Big Ron Yeates came to investigate (he was not nicknamed collussuss for nothing by Bill Shankly),he leapt to make contact big Ron remained unmoved but the wee man had a left foot that could unpick a lock fabulous player.ps he did spark Gerry Byrne
20:00, Tue 24 Mar
”seemed a bit of a psycho too, he once broke players legs in consecutive games, Davie Provan of Rangers then George Miller of Hearts in the next game. He also headbutted 6ft 2 Ron Yeats of Liverpool, who many thought was the hardest player in England at the time when he was playing for Birmingham and in another game headbutted two Fulham players, Johhny Haynes who is their greatest ever player and was the England captain at the time for spitting on him and then another 6ft 2 striker Maurice Cook who had ran over to him after he headbutted Haynes.”

This is from a Celtic site but I doubt if there’s a record of who he nutted! I was at the game and my recollection was that it was Yeats, but who knows? Maybe Bertie remembers!
23:14, Tue 24 Mar
Apologies for saying Saunders - I of course,should have said Atkinson who played for Oxford United from 1959 to 1971.
Alive: but not living.