09:39, Sun 12 Nov
I keep seeing this bandied about as the short term solution to our problems but what does that mean?

I understand the woes of the Albatross of "no fear" football that was created unnecessarily however especially in the last 2 or 3 games I am not really seeing that our ills are caused by this stylist change (if there really has been one). It certainly hasn't been a new gung ho attacking football mindset that has done us over.

We have maintained a flat back 4 with two defensive minded midfielders. The only significant difference I can see is Burke playing more centrally and the full backs pushing up a bit more. We are certainly not passing any more under Rooney. We managed a paltry 167 against Ipswich and 215 against Sunderland yesterday. Only against Plymouth this season was this comparatively low under Eustace. Subsequently our possession stats under Rooney have deteriorated, and they were pretty rank under Eustace this year and last. A new bold sophisticated style it hasn't been just more of the same but with less clear defensive solidity.

I get the "back to basics" convo when we moved from AK to Bowyer. When we were able to play it long, use the width, and use Juke method. That was like slipping back into a comfortable slipper you should throw out because it is past it best but remains reassuringly functional.

What do we want to see Rooney revert back to?
09:49, Sun 12 Nov
I want him to live or die by what we were promised. If we go back to basics what was the point?
09:52, Sun 12 Nov
Totally agree.

Back to basics means a side made up of cloggers like Gary Gardner and Marc Roberts.

Hope Rooney sticks to the task. It'll come good given time.
09:57, Sun 12 Nov
We dont have two midfielders sitting, we have a three who are told to press. Before you had a solid 2 in front of the back 4, we dont now. It's part of a big difference in approach that at the minute we can't get to work more than 20 minutes at a time.

Rooney has gone for a sharp change rather than evolving. Gotta hope it works, cant see him wanting to make them sit again.
10:03, Sun 12 Nov
Doesn't back to basic mean doing things in a simple way rather than hoofing it upfield? I.E. doing the basics: simple short passes, not risky balls; clearing it out in defence rather than trying to be clever and playing it about etc. Pretty much what we were doing under Eustace.

I'd think it rather ridiculous if we've gone through all this mess getting Rooney in just to revert back to what we had before. Then again, it yielded better results.
10:03, Sun 12 Nov
It’s going to take time for everyone to adapt but he’s got to find a way for us to pick up some points… If we keep losing and the players all end up with less confidence that Scott Hogan, it’s not going to “come good.”

Hopefully with some players coming back after the international break, we’ll be in better shape.
10:05, Sun 12 Nov
bluer than blues
Doesn't back to basic mean doing things in a simple way rather than hoofing it upfield? I.E. doing the basics: simple short passes, not risky balls; clearing it out in defence rather than trying to be clever and playing it about etc. Pretty much what we were doing under Eustace.

I'd think it rather ridiculous if we've gone through all this mess getting Rooney in just to revert back to what we had before. Then again, it yielded better results.

If we abandon our plans go back to basics now, it really is Zola 2.0. We have to see this through now.
10:05, Sun 12 Nov
I agree, but I don't see him reverting back just to get a win. He needs to make something work in his system, or an adjusted version, or just a better performance of what he believes in.
10:06, Sun 12 Nov
Bit I struggle with is how we transform this in January to give him the tools he needs, I’m not actually sure what he needs!
10:12, Sun 12 Nov
number8
We dont have two midfielders sitting, we have a three who are told to press. Before you had a solid 2 in front of the back 4, we dont now. It's part of a big difference in approach that at the minute we can't get to work more than 20 minutes at a time.

Rooney has gone for a sharp change rather than evolving. Gotta hope it works, cant see him wanting to make them sit again.

It must just be me but I don’t see any real difference in how Sunjic, Belik, James or Bacuna are playing. Under Eustace and Rooney most of their play involves running after, tackling and/or fouling their opponents who have far more of the football than they do.
10:16, Sun 12 Nov
bluer than blues

Thing is we were not playing simple passes much more under JE. We are clearing (hoofing) as much under Rooney.
10:22, Sun 12 Nov
Well as far as Rooney is concerned, for him the Blues job is last chance saloon. If he dosen't succeed here he's finished in football management. He's only been here a month so he needs lots more time to achieve any success. Either you are a Bluenose or a Rooney hater, you can't be both. He and the team need our support.
10:23, Sun 12 Nov
Be interesting if Bielik starts v Sheff Wed as I'm not sure he fits Rooney's system, as it stands.
10:24, Sun 12 Nov
Then again, it yielded better results.

Eustace had a 5 game run this season, against much worse opposition, where he got just 1 more point than Rooney has achieved in his 5.
10:36, Sun 12 Nov
Be interesting if Bielik starts v Sheff Wed as I'm not sure he fits Rooney's system, as it stands.

Huge learning curve for all of em but Bielik should be more familiar than most, along with Buchanan.

Good analysis of Bieleks contributions at Derby here.

[thepfsa.co.uk]