Initial shortlist:

Hen and Chickens
Merrymaid
Soho Tavern
Keg and Grill (this was superb Friday)
Covered Wagon
The JQ
The Sportsman

This post was requested and paid for on behalf of Andy and www.smallheathalliance.com

Are these places you have frequented yourself or just a cut and paste?

I live near the Covered Wagon so interested in a genuine review not some paid review where someone ate for free and gave them 5 out of 5.

Covered Wagon is decent, not top tier, however a really good place to have nearby if your local.

Agree!
Reading the other posts I wouldn't say I was an Indian food expert compared to some on here but to my
simple palette i can't say I've ever had bad food in there and the dishes on other customer tables look and smell great.

Generally, i like the place and sometimes i'll pop in there for a couple of pints without food. In summer,
there are plenty of benches outside to enjoy a pint. It is decent, give it a go
11:30, Thu 16 Nov
Pretty much spot on I think.
Dan
11:34, Thu 16 Nov
number8
You could do a similar BBQ at home with a little bit of effort. Just make sure it's a bit spicy and there are massive portions, but no real describable taste other than "Indian".

It's fast food you can have sitting at a canteen table.

I haven't got a BBQ though.
11:38, Thu 16 Nov
On another note; my favoured local curry house (Saffron, Castle Brom) was recently advertising for a new head chef. The salary was up to £52k.

We've come a long way from a curry in Sheldon and a taxi back to Chelmsley for under 7 quid. Although to be fair, the taxi part was sometimes zero..."Ermm, just by that alley, mate"
11:40, Thu 16 Nov
Dan
Use an oven, no one will know!
20:53, Thu 16 Nov
Spike
Finchy
I think the vine is really poor personally, for me Merrymaid is the best grill and Hen & Chickens best curry.

If you are going into West Bromwich The Red Lion by Sandwell Hospital is better than The Vine these days I reckon.

You have to like the food hot though, they don't really do mild.

Agree - Vine was great years ago now over priced and lacks the homeliness it once had.