Rab C Nesbitt
bluer than blues
Rab C Nesbitt
Bordesley not Small Heath
The catalyst for the upset and negativity was Garry Cooke. The owners should be looking at him, not the fans
Wagner obviously trusts Cook. Why don’t we trust Wagner a bit more eh?

Trust must be earned. I don't think we've seen enough yet to blindly trust him. IMO, Cook has made some egregious errors. It's okay to be critical of that.
‘Trust must be earned.’
What they’ve done in effing less than 5 months is astonishing. They’ve earned my trust.

What have they done in 5 months that makes you trust them limitlessly to be a success on the football side of things? I'm not being (or not intending to be) a d**k, I'm asking sincerely.

They've made some good non-footballing decisions as I'd expect given their background. And I was pleased with what happened in the summer on the football side. But now people are saying a significant number of the summer signings are not good enough for the new manager. The handling of JE's departure along with Rooney's appointment was very poorly done and the appointment itself raised many objections that are current evidence seem justified.

There is nothing in Wagner's not Knighthead's history that makes me instantly trust them on a football front. I want them to be successful with us but I'm still keeping a critical eye at this very, very early stage.
12:26, Mon 4 Dec
IanT
newblue
Bluenose27
Unfortunately, whilst I don’t agree with a lot of the toxicity that is prevalent in the stands now, it’s always going to happen on the back of a terrible and unpopular decision to sack JE and bring Rooney in, as well as the fact that the football were seeing is no better if not worse than what JE served up. Add to that 1 win in 8, 5 defeats, and only a first half at Ipswich that was promising, it any wonder fans aren’t happy.

I think the reaction, broadly, has been petulant, entitled, needy and disproportionately negative. So I do wonder.

Ok, so you and Rab are holding some of the fans partially responsible for the chaos we are witnessing.

What is it either of you propose that will move this situation forward?

It's all well and good saying fans should be patient, calm, supportive and the like....but a significant proportion are really annoyed and frustrated.

How do you solve that?

I personally also thought the reception to Rooney and in particular the Hull game was embarrassing from our fans, and I still get embarrassment from what I read online daily.

But I also won't tell fans to blindly support when we play like we did against Rotherham. That was so poor against a poor team themselves, and the extreme reaction from Rooney highlights how bad it was to watch. I don't think the atmosphere was unjustifiably toxic - I didn't personally hear the chants for Eustace, although I did hear the response of chanting Rooney's name. It felt like what I would expect in response to how bad the performance was.

EDIT: Criticism of the owners though is incredibly misguided. Cook/Wagner gambled with Rooney and so far it hasn't paid off, but they are ambitious and care for the club and are putting their money where their mouths are. We have to trust in them. I don't think they will let us get relegated - and so for all intents and purposes, this season will be us remaining in the championship like it would've been under Eustace, ready for the 2nd part of the rebuild in the summer.
12:30, Mon 4 Dec
The Devlin Disguise
Yes I got it, was just pulling your leg.

I know. Same thing 😉
mjd2505
IanT
newblue
Bluenose27
Unfortunately, whilst I don’t agree with a lot of the toxicity that is prevalent in the stands now, it’s always going to happen on the back of a terrible and unpopular decision to sack JE and bring Rooney in, as well as the fact that the football were seeing is no better if not worse than what JE served up. Add to that 1 win in 8, 5 defeats, and only a first half at Ipswich that was promising, it any wonder fans aren’t happy.

I think the reaction, broadly, has been petulant, entitled, needy and disproportionately negative. So I do wonder.

Ok, so you and Rab are holding some of the fans partially responsible for the chaos we are witnessing.

It's all well and good saying fans should be patient, calm, supportive and the like....but a significant proportion are really annoyed and frustrated.

How do you solve that?

I personally also thought the reception to Rooney and in particular the Hull game was embarrassing from our fans, and I still get embarrassment from what I read online daily.

But I also won't tell fans to blindly support when we play like we did against Rotherham. That was so poor against a poor team themselves, and the extreme reaction from Rooney highlights how bad it was to watch. I don't think the atmosphere was unjustifiably toxic - I didn't personally hear the chants for Eustace, although I did hear the response of chanting Rooney's name. It felt like what I would expect in response to how bad the performance was.

EDIT: Criticism of the owners though is incredibly misguided. Cook/Wagner gambled with Rooney and so far it hasn't paid off, but they are ambitious and care for the club and are putting their money where their mouths are. We have to trust in them. I don't think they will let us get relegated - and so for all intents and purposes, this season will be us remaining in the championship like it would've been under the previous manager (I don't want the auto-correction so avoiding his name), ready for the 2nd part of the rebuild in the summer.
I do agree, but for the reasons I listed I can understand why they’re reacting like they are. The bottom line is that unless results and performances pick up, it’s only going to get worse.
12:31, Mon 4 Dec
The Devlin Disguise
Simple Ian - just get new fans like we're getting an entire set of new players.

It’s what they’re trying to do….
12:36, Mon 4 Dec
As I keep saying on here, I think the level of negativity has actually decreased since that first game. But part of the bargain has got to be a bit of exciting football and improvement hasn't it.

I genuinely struggle to see why people are surprised at a poor atmosphere when a new manager - who I think it's fair to say most were at least a bit sceptical about on appointment - takes a side to one win in 8 off the back of 2 good home wins. That's just any football fanbase anywhere in the country.

As you get at, I suspect we could have had almost the exact same atmosphere on Saturday with JE still in charge. There's often booing at the end of a lacklustre 0-0 against a side people think we should be beating, and sometimes even at half time. I never do it myself, but I can get the frustration.

With the exception of those aiming personal abuse at Rooney or players, this self-flagellating idea that fans are somehow to blame for the mess is wrong.
12:37, Mon 4 Dec
If that's the case, it won't work unless they're after a completely new sort of football fan that doesn't yet follow the game. New fans turn faster than old fans in my experience. If anything, I'd say we're more patient/tolerant/apathetic than most.
12:43, Mon 4 Dec
Chris
Equally, he's been responsible for the arrival of an impressive infrastructure lead who has overseen a £25m investment into improving the facilities, as well as working on what the long-term plan for the club is - including, it seems - the groundwork on moving to a new stadium and the Campus-style plan for that. There's been regular open communication with fans in a manner we've not seen as long as many of us have supported the club, new merchandise lines to raise revenue as quickly as possible and work on a new Nike deal which will position us much better in their web of clubs next year.

There appears to be tons of fantastic work going on in the background that you'd have to give him credit for. In fact, seems the only decision so far which hasn't been a roaring success is the Rooney one. Perhaps it's the sword he will end up falling on - although I doubt it and he'll eventually protect himself and make the change if needs be - but to suggest he's "a dud" based on one decision is incredibly short-sighted.

Spot on.

The fans moaning about Cook are doing my head in.
12:44, Mon 4 Dec
That’s something I wouldn’t bet on.

I was only saying we need new fans because our attendances are actually pretty low really, and have been for a long time. We’re going to have to build that up and shows it’s a long term thing. Not 8 games anyway.
12:47, Mon 4 Dec
IanT
newblue
Bluenose27

How do you solve that?
I’ve answered questions again. One for you, please.
Does booing and abusing players, manager or CEO or owners after 8 games (it was 2) have a positive effect in any way on match day or possibly effect the match day performance or the club long term?
Tony Fantastico
KES
12:48, Mon 4 Dec
If the former manager was still here I would have imagined our last 8 results would have looked a little better and in turn another 2,000 or so would have decided to carry on going.

As it is, it's been by and large shite since WR arrived and the non ST fans have decided in aint worth it. No amount of Fireworks are going to change that.
12:49, Mon 4 Dec
Agree. Like the atmosphere though, that will follow sustained decent performances so we shouldn't be expecting anyone back (or welcoming new ones) any time soon. If anything, as others have said elsewhere, it might encourage decisive action - if it turns out Rooney isn't box office after all, they'll twist and get someone else to give the style a go.
bluer than blues
Rab C Nesbitt
bluer than blues
Rab C Nesbitt
Bordesley not Small Heath
The catalyst for the upset and negativity was Garry Cooke. The owners should be looking at him, not the fans
Wagner obviously trusts Cook. Why don’t we trust Wagner a bit more eh?

Trust must be earned. I don't think we've seen enough yet to blindly trust him. IMO, Cook has made some egregious errors. It's okay to be critical of that.
‘Trust must be earned.’
What they’ve done in effing less than 5 months is astonishing. They’ve earned my trust.

What have they done in 5 months that makes you trust them limitlessly to be a success on the football side of things? I'm not being (or not intending to be) a d**k, I'm asking sincerely.

They've made some good non-footballing decisions as I'd expect given their background. And I was pleased with what happened in the summer on the football side. But now people are saying a significant number of the summer signings are not good enough for the new manager. The handling of JE's departure along with Rooney's appointment was very poorly done and the appointment itself raised many objections that are current evidence seem justified.

There is nothing in Wagner's not Knighthead's history that makes me instantly trust them on a football front. I want them to be successful with us but I'm still keeping a critical eye at this very, very early stage.
Right now I trust them. And would over trusting Eustace over a 5 or 10 year period yes. Why the hell wouldn’t I?
And do people really believe that 6th iafter 12 games of a season is the highest position we’ll be under their stewardship?
Tony Fantastico
12:51, Mon 4 Dec
IanT

Less bedwetting and more long-term thinking, for me. This is the start of what might be the most exciting era many of us will ever know as Blues fans. If it doesn't go to script for the first six months then so be it.

Hopefully in a couple of years' time we'll be looking back in embarrassment at the Hull reaction and Rooney will either be our glorious leader or a mere footnote / experiment gone wrong. For a long time we've gone from Saturday to Tuesday to Saturday with each game being the most important thing in the world. I'm personally more relaxed this season and willing to let the owners and the management team put the building blocks in place that they think are necessary. They're not daft and they will know if/when a change is needed.

I'm fairly convinced that results will ultimately follow on the pitch, it just might not happen overnight.