15:30, Sat 23 Dec
Hope they get caught and locked up, theft is still a crime

I see why they have done it though, but that's going to be hard to sell
Moist
Buddy Mercer
bluearmyfaction
yeehaw
Fair play to them IMO. Working people should take whatever they can get their hands on. Hope their families are set for life.
So you'd be fine with someone dismantling the Iron Man or Ozzy and selling it for scrap? Public amenities which give people pleasure by their existence should be stolen by subhuman scum? Send 'em down for 10 years.

Apples and oranges mate. Banksy graffiti isn't commissioned art. And if not this bloke, some other fanny would have taken it.

I'd much prefer a working person "steal" and benefit than the council take it down, only for it to inevitably end up in the hands of some aristocrat, life peer or major donor.

"Subhuman scum"? 10 years in jail? Come off it, please. People who venerate the state and its institutions -- British ones at that -- are brainwashed. The state wouldn't piss on you to put a fire out.

Try cheering for members of your class instead. I guarantee you that Banksy is pleased with the result.

How do you know the perpetrator was working class, and not a weathy art dealer for instance?

I know the lad, top guy. Lives in Chelmsley
wookie
I'm sure you'll agree the police have more pressing issues to deal with than *checks notes* tracking down and prosecuting a bloke stealing a road sign with some paint on it

‘Checks notes’ -really 😂

Theft is theft unless you just want to make up the laws as you go along, presumably from some notes you’ve made before just in case you forget.

Not really. The police overlook crimes all the time. Usually not crimes committed by working class people
15:32, Sat 23 Dec
bluearmyfaction
yeehaw
Apples and oranges mate. Banksy graffiti isn't commissioned art. And if not this bloke, some other fanny would have taken it.
Doesn't matter who commissioned it. It's not theirs to steal. And it's hardly a defence to say that someone would have stolen it.

No respect for the laws which bind us all to make society. So if they can't live by society's laws, they should be kept away till they learn.

How doesn't it matter? The bloke stole a road sign. You're comparing that to stealing public art that was commissioned using lots of public money. It's not the same.

And the day those at the top start living by society's laws, I will castigate those at the bottom for breaking them.

I do not foresee that day coming anytime soon.
15:34, Sat 23 Dec
Tu quoque is no defence.
15:35, Sat 23 Dec
Nobody is disputing the legality of the theft.
15:37, Sat 23 Dec
I think you are missing the point - whether it is investigated or not doesn’t stop it being a crime.

You might think it is an acceptable crime (or not a crime at all). You are wrong though.
15:39, Sat 23 Dec
wookie
I think you are missing the point - whether it is investigated or not doesn’t stop it being a crime.

You might think it is an acceptable crime (or not a crime at all). You are wrong though.

That's simply where our views differ. I've explained what I think and why, not going to go around in circles.

Have a good day. 2-0 up now. KRO
15:40, Sat 23 Dec
As should the defacing of public property.

Someone as prolific a vandal and criminal as Banksy should have had huge investigations to catch, unfortunately the Police will put more effort into finding the signs thief than they will the vandal.
15:42, Sat 23 Dec
Yes it should and it is 🙄

It still doesn’t justify theft though - they are two different crimes.
15:43, Sat 23 Dec
Jameron Cerome
As should the defacing of public property.

Someone as prolific a vandal and criminal as Banksy should have had huge investigations to catch, unfortunately the Police will put more effort into finding the signs thief than they will the vandal.
Given a Banksy increases the value of a property and councils tend not to remove them but preserve them, could be argued that there's an implied permission for him to do so...