19:58, Tue 2 Jan
QBBC2
No, I don’t really.

What I see is a manager who was brought in too soon and who was given a very public brief but not the players to fulfil that brief, then was sacked days before any suitable players that may have helped were signed.

I see a CEO who went off half-cocked, a manager who was unable to fulfil an impossible task and a set of fans whose vitriol has forced the new owners to abandon their plan.

I see a myopic fan base who don’t care for mitigating circumstances, only immediate results who are now congratulating themselves whilst lording it over fans who advocated patience.

I see a lot of hyperbole, lies, rumour, supposition and fantasy passed off as facts.

I see more of the same, regardless of who the new manager is, because fans always think they know best.

And in the immediate future I see many of those fans replying to this post telling me just how wrong I am and how right they are.
Well said
20:26, Tue 2 Jan
Birmingham Mail
Latest Birmingham City news as BBC pundits and former players Gary Lineker and Micah Richards debate Birmingham City dismissal of Wayne Rooney

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]

We don't care what they think...

Ta...
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
Tam
20:30, Tue 2 Jan
QBBC2
No, I don’t really.

What I see is a manager who was brought in too soon and who was given a very public brief but not the players to fulfil that brief, then was sacked days before any suitable players that may have helped were signed.

I see a CEO who went off half-cocked, a manager who was unable to fulfil an impossible task and a set of fans whose vitriol has forced the new owners to abandon their plan.

I see a myopic fan base who don’t care for mitigating circumstances, only immediate results who are now congratulating themselves whilst lording it over fans who advocated patience.

I see a lot of hyperbole, lies, rumour, supposition and fantasy passed off as facts.

I see more of the same, regardless of who the new manager is, because fans always think they know best.

And in the immediate future I see many of those fans replying to this post telling me just how wrong I am and how right they are.

Interesting points there, as ever. I don't think there's any doubt that your first two sentences are absolutely correct. Rooney really was given a hospital pass in almost every respect - the club did him no favours there. I don't know whether Rooney was naive in accepting that at the start, or even whether he'd watched us play (even by video) and, if so, maybe he could have asked Cook to temper his fanfare. I thought the his unveiling ceremony was a bit odd and that Rooney looked slightly uncomfortable with some of the claims. It wasn't the most welcoming address.

Fans can be pretty myopic, and I thought that his 'welcome' was appalling from a section of the fanbase, but it also has to be said that Rooney managed the team, during his short tenure, into the worst performing side in the division. Cook also said that there wasn't much wiggle room in terms of FFP, so it was difficult to see how that plan was going to come together unless Rooney could help the existing side perform, as well as any additions. It became difficult to see how this could be turned round.

I think that it's been a pretty miserable few months for all of us, and the level of infighting and backbiting has been a bit depressing to see. Whilst I don't think Rooney was ever going to be the man for Blues, given the nature of his arrival and his reception, I'm genuinely sorry that it didn't work out for him, and am pretty disgusted at the reactions of some our our fans. I didn't welcome his appointment, but - like any Blues fan should - I wanted him to succeed.

It became clear that he was floundering, even from an early stage, and I think that it was probably the right time to part company with him, given that the window at least gives the new manager some time to act.

I've got to say, though, that it's been quite a sad and less than edifying spectacle all round.
Make Blues Great Again
08:30, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
Tam
QBBC2
No, I don’t really.

Interesting points there, as ever. I don't think there's any doubt that your first two sentences are absolutely correct. Rooney really was given a hospital pass in almost every respect - the club did him no favours there. I don't know whether Rooney was naive in accepting that at the start, or even whether he'd watched us play (even by video) and, if so, maybe he could have asked Cook to temper his fanfare. I thought the his unveiling ceremony was a bit odd and that Rooney looked slightly uncomfortable with some of the claims. It wasn't the most welcoming address.

Fans can be pretty myopic, and I thought that his 'welcome' was appalling from a section of the fanbase, but it also has to be said that Rooney managed the team, during his short tenure, into the worst performing side in the division. Cook also said that there wasn't much wiggle room in terms of FFP, so it was difficult to see how that plan was going to come together unless Rooney could help the existing side perform, as well as any additions. It became difficult to see how this could be turned round.

I think that it's been a pretty miserable few months for all of us, and the level of infighting and backbiting has been a bit depressing to see. Whilst I don't think Rooney was ever going to be the man for Blues, given the nature of his arrival and his reception, I'm genuinely sorry that it didn't work out for him, and am pretty disgusted at the reactions of some our our fans. I didn't welcome his appointment, but - like any Blues fan should - I wanted him to succeed.

It became clear that he was floundering, even from an early stage, and I think that it was probably the right time to part company with him, given that the window at least gives the new manager some time to act.

I've got to say, though, that it's been quite a sad and less than edifying spectacle all round.

👏👏👏
08:51, Wed 3 Jan
QBBC2
You don't walk into a club and change everything on day one. Players need to adapt and WR should have known this and adapted as he went along. Instead he asked for too much too soon and it backfired, that is a clear case of bad management. He had 15 games ffs and they were a complete shambles.

That’s on Cook, not Rooney.

It a 2 way thing.You have to manage peoples expectations.
If my boss used to ask me to achieve things i thought was unrealistic, i would tel him, and give him the reasons why.
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
09:51, Wed 3 Jan
Newheavenlyblues
If Mr. Line-acre thinks its wrong then it must be right.

He's usually right - but he's wrong this time.
09:56, Wed 3 Jan
QBBC2
No, I don’t really.

Fans aren't patient because patience almost never works - with Ferguson the 1 obvious exception.

If, after 15 games, there are no signs of improvement, then it's very unlikely that you will manage to turn things round.

Compared to the 3 performances before Rooney came in the last 3 were appalling.

There was no prospect of things turning round.
09:59, Wed 3 Jan
Lumbertubs
Tam
QBBC2
No, I don’t really.

👏👏👏

What he said.
10:02, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
Tam
QBBC2
No, I don’t really.

Sorry for the double quote, but you and Qbeeb are my two favourite posters on here and the above two posts illustrate why perfectly. You both never fail to hit the nail and make great points. Keep posting.
Up the feckin Blues
10:19, Wed 3 Jan
Results do for everyone. If Rooney had got, say, 4 more points than he had over the 15 games (a third of a season), we'd be sitting mid table and whilst performances would probably still be sporadic, I don't think the trigger would have been pulled. As it is, we are nosediving to the bottom of the league and they really hadn't got much choice. Rooney's record was before was below average and so it has proved here. Different formations, tactics and personnel littered his games, and to me it just showed he was struggling to get anything across. He's hung the players out numerous times which is never a good look. I accept some players can't do exactly what he wants but even the few than can looked like they were unsure of what to do or didn't trust others around them so it wasn't going to work. The Stoke game (played off the park) and the Bristol game (parking the bus at home desperate for a clean sheet) did for him more than the Leeds loss imo.

I fully accept the other points about the CEO & fans reactions, both of those are key to the situation, but at the end of the day if you win 2 from 15 and don't look like changing it, you can't be surprised if the Spanish Archer pops up.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for him but I'm not sorry he's gone.

The next cab up needs to get us where we want though...