KES
07:54, Mon 8 Jan
07:57, Mon 8 Jan
KES
Quite damning of Craigy .
08:00, Mon 8 Jan
KES
KES
Am I just tired or does this say that GG was the architect of Eustace’s sacking?
KES
08:17, Mon 8 Jan
The Gardnener Brothers - agents on the inside. The true DVB's.
08:24, Mon 8 Jan
Thrillhouse
KES
Am I just tired or does this say that GG was the architect of Eustace’s sacking?
I of course meant CG

GG innocent as far as I am aware
It does say that, which is fair enough given his position. It was hardly likely to have been the kit man.

Quite an annoying article reallly. What he says about shortlists and knock backs might be true, but how can he know. Also doesn’t really take into account the apparent professionalism of the new lot compared to the old lot.

Thr most interesting bit is where he says Gardner told Rooney the players were good enough to play more open, entertaining football but Rooney quickly realised he had been lied to.

Notable though, the the usual Athletic caveat that sources remained anonymous etc was missing, presumably because there are no sources and he’s made it all up.
08:30, Mon 8 Jan
KES
"The owners’ drive to instil the nebulous concept of ‘no-fear football’, whatever that may be, proved to be an albatross around Rooney’s neck"

I remember a fair few fans saying that on here. Funny that the fans understood it but our CEO didn't.
08:33, Mon 8 Jan
Thrillhouse
KES

It does - and I'm pretty sure I don't believe that/
"Mowbray will play a possession-based, attacking style, as he has at virtually every other club he has been at, but not without elements of pragmatism."

This is exactly what Rooney should have done from the outset.
bluer than blues
"Mowbray will play a possession-based, attacking style, as he has at virtually every other club he has been at, but not without elements of pragmatism."

Yeah, we know.

Amongst other things, it got him the sack, let it go and move on👍
08:48, Mon 8 Jan
bluer than blues

Only he can explain why he didnt.

For all his talk of not having enough time etc, that he thought he could just come in and completely change the style of play overnight was at best naive, possibly just arrogant.
09:09, Mon 8 Jan
El Mayor
Thrillhouse
KES

It does - and I'm pretty sure I don't believe that/

I was told it came from above but old CG didn’t disagree with the idea. Not his fault though - he’s not likely to disagree with his bosses.
They are good enough to play that way though. Mowbray will prove that to be the case in the next 4-5 months.
09:34, Mon 8 Jan
Fat Buddha CBE
Quite an annoying article reallly. What he says about shortlists and knock backs might be true, but how can he know. Also doesn’t really take into account the apparent professionalism of the new lot compared to the old lot.

The most interesting bit is where he says Gardner told Rooney the players were good enough to play more open, entertaining football but Rooney quickly realised he had been lied to.

Yeah, there are a lots of good articles on The Athletic, but that one isn't great.

There's nothing wrong with sounding out several people to see whether they might be interested, they are entitled to be not interested so you move on. There would probably have been lots of others interested but we would not entertain them.

If Gardner told Rooney that the players were good enough to play more open football than Eustace favoured - I still think that would be a true and fair opinion.

If Rooney took that to mean that he could come in and try to play the dog's dinner he tried to introduce - subject to change on a weekly basis, that would be his fault.

The answer will be in between. Eustace sold them a bit short - Rooney was delusional in the other direction.

We'll hopefully see some sense and sensibility from Mowbray.
09:35, Mon 8 Jan
Fat Buddha CBE
It does say that, which is fair enough given his position. It was hardly likely to have been the kit man.

Thr most interesting bit is where he says Gardner told Rooney the players were good enough to play more open, entertaining football but Rooney quickly realised he had been lied to.

Notable though, the the usual Athletic caveat that sources remained anonymous etc was missing, presumably because there are no sources and he’s made it all up.

I'd guess he probably didn't make it up, more likely to be from Rooney's agent or possibly Cook's camp. Getting the blame shifted to protect their reputation.

We'll see if Mowbray can get a more open and entertaining style out of the players. The majority of the team have played in more open and entertaining sides in the past, so the capability would seem to be there but needs patience and good coaching.