09:49, Sat 13 Jan
I think VAR has a place but it should be used far less frequently. A clear foul in the box that wasn't seen? Fine. A shoulder offside? Not fine.
10:50, Sat 13 Jan
Looked harmless to me. Just a coming together in the box. No need to over turn the ref's decision.
bluer than blues
Bluesince62
GonzaloFlores
Its definitely a foul in the modern game. Personally I wouldn't want it to be but how the game is at the moment it is one.

The real issue here is that if you looked back and found similar situations from this season, you will find that a foul was given 95% of the time.

One of the big problems people have with refs is the lack of consistency. The one thing they usually are consistent on though is pver-protecting goalkeepers. That decision just goes against that consistency.

Nothing is ever going to change that. Depending what your definition of consistency is, it's an impossible goal to get the refs to be 100%. They are human, each one will have his own interpretation within the rules, each one will have a slightly different view of an incident - both physically on his positioning re the incident and his interpretation of it.

I suppose the only thing you can do is to refine the rules so that they are absolutely precise with no room for subjectivity. Is that possible?

I don't think it is tbh, but they can certainly be improved on. Refs have had about 150 years to 'get it right' yet we still have games being decided on mistakes by them. They need help and of course yes, I'm talking about technology. There will still be inconsistencies between refs, but at least with 'help' then the majority of feck ups can be eradicated. That's why VAR IS a good idea, just one that isn't being utilised correctly.

I don't know though, perhaps people enjoy endless arguments about whether the ref got it right or not or relish that gut churning feeling of losing a match you shouldn't have. I don't, I know that.
Up the feckin Blues
bluer than blues
I think VAR has a place but it should be used far less frequently. A clear foul in the box that wasn't seen? Fine. A shoulder offside? Not fine.

See? people CAN have grown up debate đź‘Ť
Up the feckin Blues
Yet a clear foul in the box wasn’t given last night and the world carries on. Like it does every weekend in England without the need for more money wasted on inept officials. Bar the elite league.
Tony Fantastico
14:26, Sat 13 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Yet a clear foul in the box wasn’t given last night and the world carries on. Like it does every weekend in England without the need for more money wasted on inept officials. Bar the elite league.

Was it a clear foul? the keeper has no more right to go for the ball than an attacker, yet if a defender had done that to block an attacker (from having a free run and jump at heading the ball) no one would say it's a penalty, just clever defending/positioning.
14:57, Sat 13 Jan
The forward went into the keeper. Keeper did the usual exaggerated collapse but it was a foul, even in an environment where goalies are over protected.
18:54, Sat 13 Jan
Felix1875
Rab C Nesbitt

Was it a clear foul? the keeper has no more right to go for the ball than an attacker, yet if a defender had done that to block an attacker (from having a free run and jump at heading the ball) no one would say it's a penalty, just clever defending/positioning.
If that’s not a foul you’ll rarely see a pen given for a foul. But even recently you do ( Jota, Duran DvB etc)
Tony Fantastico