10:46, Wed 17 Jan
johnthefence
TM did the right thing last night and got the result too. Great management imo. What we saw in the first half will have confirmed what we all know.

Burke - never again
Gardner - only if essential
Longello- will only ever be a back up
Bielik - can’t play without Sunjic
Donovan - great promise but not just yet
Anderson - needs to regain match fitness

Beilik was centre half. I'm not sure you can make the take you have.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
10:47, Wed 17 Jan
Sam_Bam_Bluenose
Well he nearly set Longelo up who was well saved by the keeper and on the other occasions had no one in the box to square it too, hence the point made about having no striker in the box to be on the end of it.

The lack of a striker and a striker's instinct was really telling. We played pretty well in the wide positions in the first half.
10:51, Wed 17 Jan
johnthefence
TM did the right thing last night and got the result too. Great management imo. What we saw in the first half will have confirmed what we all know.

Burke - never again

Any opinion on T Roberts last night from anyone?
10:54, Wed 17 Jan
Seemed half a yard off the pace but played some nice neat passes in crowded areas.

Doesn't get involved enough for me, but tbh I'm not sure he's entirely fit.
11:02, Wed 17 Jan
Tom TheProject Brady
Seemed half a yard off the pace but played some nice neat passes in crowded areas.

Doesn't get involved enough for me, but tbh I'm not sure he's entirely fit.

Same as Saturday then. He does look really behind in terms of sharpness and fitness.

Maybe scared to exert too much energy incase he pulls something, although it seems he can do that from just walking.
11:06, Wed 17 Jan
Icm2023
johnthefence

Burke - never again

Any opinion on T Roberts last night from anyone?

Saw enough to suggest that Mowbray should persist with including him as a sub at least.
He'll hopefully gradually regain fitness and confidence.
Some neat stuff from him last night and I reckon he's still a few weeks away from getting up to full speed.
Not sure if he's gonna all of a sudden become a regular scorer but I'm patient enough to wait and see how he can influence the games and results.
He's a 25 year old attacking midfielder ...... dunno why lots think of him as a goalscoring forward.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
11:11, Wed 17 Jan
I thought he got involved more yesterday than he did on Saturday, but as others have said still needs to get to match fitness I think.
11:17, Wed 17 Jan
He returned to training over a month ago so taking it very very easy coming back

Got into a few nice pockets of space and some decent touches and passes which was a little glimpse that he might have something to offer

What is his actual position?
11:41, Wed 17 Jan
generalBlue
He's a 25 year old attacking midfielder ...... dunno why lots think of him as a goalscoring forward.

It is based on how he was used at Leeds and his own stated preference.

Bielsa had him as the first choice back up to Bamford but while Bamford had a decent goalscoring record in that role a lot of it was about pressing and assisting for other players. That does seem like how the intent for our set up might have been - Roberts as the striker, setting up Stansfield and Dembele cutting in from the wings.
11:43, Wed 17 Jan
Attacking midfielder/forward

He played wide(ish( right at Swansea on the opening day.

We made a whole load of changes when he came on on Saturday, which made the team less effective.
We also made a load of changes last night all at the same time.

This doesn't help a player who is new to the team.

Given his injury record it makes sense to bring him in slowly and not to expect too much. I'd expect tit to be at least a few weeks before he is fully up to speed with the game and the team. It can't help much that in his first 6 appearances he's played under 3 different managers.
12:25, Wed 17 Jan
Tyler Roberts is either fit enough to play or he aint. We can not afford to have players who are only prepared to play at half pace to protect themselves, he can do that in training and lower level games but not the first team.

Some nice touches but the lack of intent to bust a gut to get to the ball worries me. Look at the impact that Baca Koji and Jay made when they came on.

At present I do not think he is ready to start but hopefully these cameos make him feel more confident but so far it is not showing as he looks low on confidence where pace is needed.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
12:41, Wed 17 Jan
Didn’t he score about 10 goals in 4 seasons, at Leeds. Which doesn’t really make him a striker, well if it does, not a very good one
What did the Knights in White satin?
12:42, Wed 17 Jan
Bacuna started.
13:28, Wed 17 Jan
Doesn't that make him a standard striker for us LOL!!??
13:52, Wed 17 Jan
Tilton shark
Tyler Roberts is either fit enough to play or he aint. We can not afford to have players who are only prepared to play at half pace to protect themselves, he can do that in training and lower level games but not the first team.

Some nice touches but the lack of intent to bust a gut to get to the ball worries me. Look at the impact that Baca Koji and Jay made when they came on.

At present I do not think he is ready to start but hopefully these cameos make him feel more confident but so far it is not showing as he looks low on confidence where pace is needed.

People read things in to players which they really can’t know are true or not. It’s far less likely a player who has been out for ages is ‘protecting themselves’ than it is that they’re not yet match sharp, which people are referring to as match fitness. F knows why fans make something up and make some definitive pronouncement on a player. Strikes me as a bit daft.