Brian Clough

Don Revie.

Wayne Rooney.
23:41, Mon 22 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Brian Clough

Who also started at Hartlepool. Or Hartlepools, as was.

Sounds like he's had a very successful apprenticeship in the lower leagues. Good on him. A classy way to do it, though it might have been through necessity.

[www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk]
07:57, Tue 23 Jan
Miguelagenn
Made a career out of hanging around the goal and poking the odd one or two in. He probably doesn't know too much about what happens round the rest of the pitch.

Over a goal every other game, over his entire career is not "the odd one or two"
08:10, Tue 23 Jan
The guy who used I used to sit next to when KP was playing used to barrack him from start until finish. I think when you're a striker, if you're stats stand up every other criticism is just noise.
08:16, Tue 23 Jan
Good luck Kevin👍
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
08:47, Tue 23 Jan
LondonAndy
Rab C Nesbitt
Brian Clough

Who also started at Hartlepool. Or Hartlepools, as was.

Sounds like he's had a very successful apprenticeship in the lower leagues. Good on him. A classy way to do it, though it might have been through necessity.

[www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk]

Clough was 29 when he became a manager (I suspect that was a very unusual gamble at the time), Phillips is 50 - quite old to be where he is at the moment in terms of ‘starting out’. I’m surprised someone hasn’t gone with him before. As for anyone barracking him, the ignorance of some fans has no limits.
09:05, Tue 23 Jan
A gamble born of necessity really, as he was so badly injured at 27 he never got over the injuries (tore his medial and cruciate ligaments).

Great footballer and manager though.
09:14, Tue 23 Jan
I meant for ‘Hartlepools’ employing him as a manager. His scoring record as a player was phenomenal.
09:21, Tue 23 Jan
Not much of a gamble. Hartlepool have never been successful and are doing well to get a manger with KP's football experience.
09:24, Tue 23 Jan
Ah - OK.👍
09:31, Tue 23 Jan
Madeira Blue
Not much of a gamble. Hartlepool have never been successful and are doing well to get a manger with KP's football experience.

I was talking about Clough 😁. I agree that Hartlepool have made what could be a really good appointment, there’s lots of people appointed at lower league level who don’t have KP’s playing or coaching record - which was the point I started with. Any way, be interesting to see if he does well.