12:24, Fri 9 Feb
Bcfc 26
Bob
Pros and cons, as with everything, but overall I wouldn’t change being self-employed for anything.

What profession are you interested in?

Sales.
A bit general Sales, like who what why where and when?
13:04, Fri 9 Feb
Tilton Rifle
All the best businesses are built with great people. 'Good to Great' by Collins is excellent. There are many important attributes a great company needs, but getting the right people on the bus is the most important of all.

It’s about getting the best out of people too. In badly run companies, people sink to the lowest common denominator and skiving can become endemic. No one is happy. In my experience (now past!) most people want to feel that they what they are doing has purpose and people resent those who swing the lead. It has to be tackled.

It’s inevitable that the most complicated thing to deal with in business is people (and I would say those you have to deal with but don’t employ because there is no or at least a lot less control) I found most people actually wanted to do a fair day’s work. I was self employed/set up various businesses. Worked for various types of organisation private and public, large and small. As a broad rule the bigger they got the less satisfying work became, and more frustrating. I hear what people say about working for yourself. I enjoyed it for a while but to my mind it was too isolating. There’s a lot to be said for social contact
Bob
13:26, Fri 9 Feb
To be fair, being self employed and social contact are not mutually exclusive.

All depends on you running your company in the way you decide works best. A freedom you don’t often get working for someone else.
13:37, Fri 9 Feb
Bcfc 26
Any on here?

Successful business owner for 26 years.

I’m certainly willing to help you.

Message me

CV
13:38, Fri 9 Feb
Bcfc 26
Dave
Does onlyfans count?

Haha. Technically it's a business to some people ye.

I'm just fed up of working for people who don't give a toss. Looking to start my own thing soon.

What are you looking to set up? As in what market sector?
13:42, Fri 9 Feb
Bob
Bob
To be fair, being self employed and social contact are not mutually exclusive.

All depends on you running your company in the way you decide works best. A freedom you don’t often get working for someone else.

Well, that was my experience. There’s far more line working. One of the big downsides to WFH for me.
Bob
13:50, Fri 9 Feb
👍

Guess it all depends how much the OP will be meeting people face to face.

But you’re right, there’s some self-employed sales-focused people I know who WFH and never seem to get out.
14:02, Fri 9 Feb
albi
Bcfc 26
Dave
Does onlyfans count?

Haha. Technically it's a business to some people ye.

I'm just fed up of working for people who don't give a toss. Looking to start my own thing soon.

What are you looking to set up? As in what market sector?

I've looked at dropshipping/ecommerce I've looked a print on demand. I've looked at digital marketing and affiliate marketing. Etc. Tbh I don't know myself. All I know is that I need to get out of the working for people. And making someone else money. Should have done this 10 years ago when I left college
14:17, Fri 9 Feb
Robert Hopkins
A lot of employees are a pain in arse, but some are good. There is definitley a generational difference in attitude to work, but as newblue says you have to get over that no-one will value your business as much as you.

Here we go.

The vast majority of the people who I have employed who are younger than me are better than those that are older. In terms of quality,attitude and performance.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
14:19, Fri 9 Feb
Robert Hopkins
A lot of employees are a pain in arse, but some are good. There is definitley a generational difference in attitude to work, but as newblue says you have to get over that no-one will value your business as much as you.

Here we go.

The vast majority of the people who I have employed who are younger than me are better than those that are older. In terms of quality,attitude and performance.

I was going to say, the only generational difference in attitude to work that I have experienced is from older people who have been in jobs they're not good enough at for far too long and are completely resistant to any change whatsoever.
16:33, Fri 9 Feb
Tom TheProject Brady
Robert Hopkins

Here we go.

I was going to say, the only generational difference in attitude to work that I have experienced is from older people who have been in jobs they're not good enough at for far too long and are completely resistant to any change whatsoever.

Jacob Rees-Mogg springs to mind.