10:48, Mon 12 Feb
I think that’s different though, it’s was against a modest championship turnover. Selling players is a bit different to having a boost that’s supposed to keep you solvent as opposed to buying the league. Southampton must be in the black this season

The parachute money is in edition to turnover and player sales.

It’s an extra layer of, around 55% of tv money.
10:57, Mon 12 Feb
foghorn leghorn
Signing and paying prem wages for Carsley, Phillips, Bent and Carr. Bringing in prem loans midway through the campaign. Quashie, Hunt, Sinclair and Bowyer saw us cement a promotion place and get over the line.

We had one of the top 3 wage bills and the bottom teams paid the lowest wages. Nothing has changed, in that regard.

David Gold used to rave about parachute payments and the advantage they afforded to us, but now other teams benefit, life has become so unfair

I agree with the premise that we benefitted in the past but the gap in revenue was nowhere near what it is like today, the parachute payments have risen at a much much higher rate than the EFL TV deal, if we had a 25% advantage then, they have a 200% advantage now
Happy Clapper
11:02, Mon 12 Feb
The gap has increased every year, since the first sky TV deal. It was way bigger in 2009, than it was when we previously benefitted, in 2007.

Its never going to get smaller.
11:05, Mon 12 Feb
foghorn leghorn
Signing and paying prem wages for Carsley, Phillips, Bent and Carr. Bringing in prem loans midway through the campaign. Quashie, Hunt, Sinclair and Bowyer saw us cement a promotion place and get over the line.

We had one of the top 3 wage bills and the bottom teams paid the lowest wages. Nothing has changed, in that regard.

David Gold used to rave about parachute payments and the advantage they afforded to us, but now other teams benefit, life has become so unfair

They have also gone up a huge amount since then.
We got £15m in 2011-12
Before that we got £7.5m in 2008-09

By contrast, it is up to £30m plus now and while we were signing aged former Premier League players (Carr had even been retired), Leicester were just trying to sign a current Italian international.

It clearly benefited us, distorting things in our favour, but not close to the degree it does now. Given the direction of travel it is likely to only get worse as well.
11:06, Mon 12 Feb
foghorn leghorn

I agree with the premise that we benefitted in the past but the gap in revenue was nowhere near what it is like today, the parachute payments have risen at a much much higher rate than the EFL TV deal

It's a difficult question to address
On the one hand the relegated clubs have a massive financial advantage to allow them to get promoted to the top level ....
.... but not enough of an advantage to build a real Premier squad when outside the Premier ....
.... so they then get relegated back down again
11:12, Mon 12 Feb
Having players to sell is good business practice. And Leicester especially are a bit of a freak one. European contenders they should have been. It was a miracle they went down really with that squad
Tony Fantastico
11:18, Mon 12 Feb
Yep, that’s why I don’t believe they should get double bubble but I get it’s hard to measure/enforce it right

Like much in football it’s probably past the point of fixing it
11:18, Mon 12 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
Having players to sell is good business practice. And Leicester especially are a bit of a freak one. European contenders they should have been. It was a miracle they went down really with that squad

Vardy dependency caught up with them - too much reliance on him to get enough goals and he got old.
It will be interesting to see if they can fix it next season.
11:30, Mon 12 Feb
Snoop
Rab C Nesbitt

Vardy dependency caught up with them - too much reliance on him to get enough goals and he got old.
They didn’t play Iheanacho enough after finishing the season before on fire
Tony Fantastico
11:37, Mon 12 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
Snoop
Rab C Nesbitt

They didn’t play Iheanacho enough after finishing the season before on fire

I think it was the season before that when he was on fire, then off the boil again the next two seasons.
11:51, Mon 12 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
Annoys me that Everton got away with their cheating last season - they should have been in this division instead with a probable firesale and nowhere near as good as the Leicester squad. Also that freakish match with Brighton where the xG should have made it 0-4 but they won 5-1 or whatever.
13:03, Mon 12 Feb
Le Mod
The issue at the moment is the clubs get the parachute payments to make up for some of the shortfall, but then they sell 3 or 4 players for £100M+, so it's almost like a double whammy, they are essentially Premier League clubs playing in the Championship, Premier League budgets and Premier League squads. I don't know how you fix it though

This times 100

Relegated teams have two advantages already without any rules on FFP and parachute payments.

A) Even sub par Prem players are generally very good quality championship players ie Adam Armstrong.
B) Sell a couple of your best players on relegation and that is both your shortfall solved and a war chest for promotion.

You now add on parachute payments which will cushion poor decisions for 3 years and then the EFL have literally shackled 80% of the championship from competing anyway on transfer fees and wages because of FFP constraints.

But the solution is now far from easy. Remove FFP and then we will have multiple clubs spending beyond their means. Removing parachute payments will make those relegated gamble faster and harder.
13:09, Mon 12 Feb
Dean peer
No ffp rules when we had parachute payments, Big difference all about the income now and I don’t recall hoovering up too much talent more like a fire sale 🙄

Apart from Cameron Jerome, Rowan Vine, Gary McSheffrey, alongside loans like Larsson, Bendtner and Muamba.

I take your point about FFP but Leicester have sold £90.5m worth of talent this season, which more than covers their wage bill.
foghorn leghorn
Did you whine when we were benefiting from said payments? We would hoover up the best players from our efl rivals, every time we got relegated from the prem.

No, but then it wasn't comparable to now. It was a much smaller disconnect vs what everyone else was earning.

FFP didn't exist.
H

Consistently correct and proven right.