Listened to him when he first started on the mid 70s at Radio 210 (later Thames Valley Radio) in Reading. He did an afternoon programme with Mike Read, and I think the only reason either of them got the gig was so the station could advertise it as the Read and Wright Show. To be fair I think it was probably a cut above anything else they broadcast.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
17:41, Tue 13 Feb
Sad news, to those of a certain age ‘Steve Wright in the afternoon’ was a must whenever you were in the car.
17:43, Tue 13 Feb
In his prime not sure there was anyone better, real shock this. RIP
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
17:50, Tue 13 Feb
Awful news - sounds like a lot of people weren’t expecting it so maybe sudden rather than a long term illness. He’d pre recorded his show for Valentine’s Day too I believe.

RIP to one of the better radio dj’s - gone too soon (around 6 weeks older than me) 😢
17:50, Tue 13 Feb
In his prime not sure there was anyone better, real shock this. RIP

Maybe not in the UK but in the US there would be the various people he plagiarised his 'act' from. (Though in his defence he never denied he copied others)
17:51, Tue 13 Feb
Am I the only one who couldn't stick him?
17:55, Tue 13 Feb

I listened to his show for about a fortnight when I was 11 or 12. By then you'd heard pretty much everything he had and it was the some basic idea being recycled again and again (for the next 40 years)

And then Chris Moyles and Chris Evans decided to 'retread' the 'zoo radio' idea ad infinitum.
18:15, Tue 13 Feb
RIP Sir. Awful news.
18:19, Tue 13 Feb
Not a fan of him in the latter years. But then you listen to Scott Mills and realise how much Radio2 has gone in to decline!!
18:31, Tue 13 Feb
bluearmyfaction

No.
18:33, Tue 13 Feb
What a shame, he was of his time but I used to love his radio 1 show, worked on the building as a young bloke so he and all his characters were always on the radio on the scaffolding.
RIP.
Up the feckin Blues
20:42, Tue 13 Feb
Rip
20:57, Tue 13 Feb
BluenoseMo
Awful news - sounds like a lot of people weren’t expecting it so maybe sudden rather than a long term illness. He’d pre recorded his show for Valentine’s Day too I believe.

RIP to one of the better radio dj’s - gone too soon (around 6 weeks older than me) 😢
He was on air on Sunday apparently.
21:01, Tue 13 Feb
Serious croakin
21:06, Tue 13 Feb
BluenoseMo

I heard the advert for his Valentines show yesterday and thought eff me is Steve Wright still knocking about.

He's not now the poor bugger.