My Blue Heaven
I’d have loved Redmond in the summer just gone but he’s soon to be 30 and can’t get a game in a struggling Burnley side.

I believe he was close to signing in the Summer, he wouldn’t have been against the move anyway. But I worry if a season on the bench at his age will have an impact

We could do far worse mind you

Last two romantic signings have been complete flops - Craig Gardner and Troy Deeney.

If he is good enough and on the right money then get him in, but not on just the name - that's tinpot
11:56, Tue 5 Mar
Chris
Oh yeah, as soon as he said "Nathan Redmond" I was fully on board. Bring him home, a threat off the wings, some much-needed experience and - as you say - a good PR signing which galvanises a few in the fanbase. All over that. He has a 2-year deal but with Burnley going down we might be able to get him fairly cheap and wouldn't ask for silly money either, you'd think.... (I'm telling myself)

Problem number one Redmond will be on Premiership wages.
Burnley are almost certain to be relegated. With parachute payments they will have a lot more money than us. They will make an assessment on Redmond being able to to a good job in the Championship, if yes he stays where he is if not then we may get him. A big risk I think.
11:57, Tue 5 Mar
Madeira Blue
Chris
Oh yeah, as soon as he said "Nathan Redmond" I was fully on board. Bring him home, a threat off the wings, some much-needed experience and - as you say - a good PR signing which galvanises a few in the fanbase. All over that. He has a 2-year deal but with Burnley going down we might be able to get him fairly cheap and wouldn't ask for silly money either, you'd think.... (I'm telling myself)

Problem number one Redmond will be on Premiership wages.
Burnley are almost certain to be relegated. With parachute payments they will have a lot more money than us. They will make an assessment on Redmond being able to to a good job in the Championship, if yes he stays where he is if not then we may get him. A big risk I think.

Most clubs have clauses in player contracts where players get paid significantly less money in the event of relegation.
12:03, Tue 5 Mar
El Mayor

Most clubs have clauses in player contracts where players get paid significantly less money in the event of relegation.

True and any player who get promoted with a club and gets a pay rise no doubt has that clause attached to it but many players joining a new club refuse that clause. Would Redmond have agreed to That?
12:08, Tue 5 Mar
I am very much the first person to rally against these types of signings usually - but that's because I often think there's a lack of imagination in the suggestion when they are often made. This one, to my mind, makes a lot of sense for all parties. I don't think he'd be our flagship signing and I don't think he'd play every game, but we could do with a few steady hands to supplement the squad at the minute.

The wages were mentioned, but when Burnley go down his contract is likely to be, what, halved? so I don't think it becomes overly expensive.

Not every player can be an exciting 21-year-old livewire full of potential and sell-on value - take a look at Chelsea.
12:08, Tue 5 Mar
I doubt the had his pick of Premier League clubs, so would likely take what he was being offered
12:09, Tue 5 Mar
Madeira Blue
El Mayor

True and any player who get promoted with a club and gets a pay rise no doubt has that clause attached to it but many players joining a new club refuse that clause. Would Redmond have agreed to That?

I’ll repeat - most players have clauses which have reduced wages in the Championship, particularly at clubs like Burnley who would be in danger of going down - because they’re the same clauses that give them improved wages when they go up ;)

The confusion lies in that people think the clauses are “relegation” or “promotion” clauses when the reality is they will say something like:

In the PL basic wage will be x, in the Championship the basic wage will be y.

I am certain that Redmond along with all / almost all Burnley players will have clauses like that.
12:12, Tue 5 Mar
It would seem mad if they didn't have the clause there since they knew they were among the favourites to go down, unless Redmond signed for Championship level wages in the Prem (which I don't imagine he did!)