04:40, Mon 11 Mar
Superb bit of SHA history this is.
06:48, Mon 11 Mar
Squatnose
Linked Image
Linked Image
Linked Image

Well found.
As well as DES I have argued a few times on this forum that we wore an all white kit for that match.
It was a one off as Shrewsburys blue and yellow striped shirts caused a clash with both our traditional home and away kits that season.
I recall being at that match and liking the all white kit, it was very simple and classy.
So I'm guessing that's the back of Mark Dennis we are looking at? Can I ask where you managed to find this stuff??
Liam daish and his trumpet
So I'm guessing that's the back of Mark Dennis we are looking at? Can I ask where you managed to find this stuff??

It came from a friend of a friend who apparently is massively into collecting Blues shirts. He was asked about the Shrewsbury game in 1980 and came back with these pictures!
09:40, Mon 11 Mar
Well, I'll be...what a find.
Up the feckin Blues
09:49, Mon 11 Mar
Vindication for those us who were there and got 'shot down' for mentioning anything of the white shirts :-)
10:05, Mon 11 Mar
Mendip Blue
Vindication for those us who were there and got 'shot down' for mentioning anything of the white shirts :-)

The white shirts were never the argument, and it wasn't Des' argument anyway - it was a poster called Mickey The Bat...or something like that.

He said we had white official Adidas shirts - which we wore at Shrewsbury. Just a white version of the Adidas three stripe blue shirt - which I and others who were around at the time didn't remember. Though I do remember sitting on the edge of the pitch with hundreds of others at SHrewsbury for that match.

I can't see from those pictures whether that's an official Adidas kit or just something cobbled together as a one off. I'd be interested to know.
10:14, Mon 11 Mar
Its just a cobbled together white v neck, no badge, with the adidas numbers added on the back. I have the same pictures and a bit more back story from (I assume) the same lad.

Not an official white adidas kit which as you rightfully say was what the row was about, not whether it was white or not.
10:27, Mon 11 Mar
Double post...
10:40, Mon 11 Mar
Yeah it wasn’t DES’s argument, he’d just made it his mission to solve once Libraries etc were back open after covid. Unfortunately he got ill
Tony Fantastico
11:00, Mon 11 Mar
Ahh, ok; I was under the impression that some were arguing against us wearing a white shirt at all.

TBH, beyond remembering us wearing an all white kit, I couldn't recall whether or not it had our crest on. I guess it would make sense if it was a training top, or just a one-off 'borrowed' from Adidas.
Either way, I thought it looked very smart, and would have liked us to have worn it more.
11:07, Mon 11 Mar
Yeah, it did grow legs as a story.

I seem to remember that the original poster claimed that he actually had the shirt and it was definitely an official Adidas, though he never supplied any evidence in terms of a picture or whatever.

As Rab says, DES came to the story much later and just made it his mission to try and find out one way or the other...but then he was screwed by illness and had better things to worry about I'm sure.

Nobody denied the feasibility of a one-off white shirt, just the suggestion that there was a mythical Adidas original which only one bloke remembered.

I was at the match and couldn't remember details of the shirt.

Generally though, I have always liked us in white away shirts. I associate it with winning at villa.