Bordesley not Small Heath
If Rowett got the job and we continued to play the way we did against Coventry why would anyone object?

What about if Rowett got the job and we continued to play the way we did against Cardiff?
11:39, Thu 18 Apr
Then people would object obviously
13:16, Thu 18 Apr
Rowett has only had money at Stoke though, which was a good few years ago and he's publicly admitted he made mistakes whilst there (that accountability for me is really important - see Rooney as the opposite to that).

I also didn't expect us to play in possession the way we have under Rowett. Sure he's been limited by options (no Jutkiewicz up front), but can't deny especially in the Cov game and excluding the Cardiff game, we've had some really nice moments on the ball. Defensively, it's exactly as I expected us to play under him - but that's not a bad thing.

I'm not sure I buy the whole "you need to play X style to get promoted". It's much, much more about quality of player and getting the best out of them, and that's what I believe Rowett would do. As long as we stick to the same philosophy recruitment wise (just with a higher budget - we still want to be buying young technical players as a whole, just that adding a bit of experience and leadership in this summer to replace what we've lost is imperative), I wouldn't mind him staying.

But as I said. If it's an unpopular decision, I'd rather not. I still haven't seen anyone suggest any viable alternatives. I think Corberan is a stretch. Maybe he would come, but it's still very possible Albion get promoted and then what? He's not going to leave them then. It'd be a sideways step at best for him to go from Albion to Blues, unless the Albion board tell him without promotion they need a fire sale.

Don't forget they've been taken over. They're probably not in the dire straits they were earlier this season off the field.

One alternative is going back in for Steve Cooper. Didn't get the Palace job, apparently our stumbling block in Jan was a lack of money to spend. Well, that's no longer an issue in the summer.

And this is all assuming Mowbray leaves. If he stays there's zero question. And that, to me, seems likely.
15:00, Thu 18 Apr
Those figures for the single season of 2018/19 at Stoke say it all for me .... £60m spent on what ???!!!??? - he just doesn't know how to recognise a decent player - and tends to get to decent selections in his teams by experimenting until something clicks. Like playing Bielik at centre half - even we all knew he had played well there before.

But FFS don't let him near any transfer fund

readable version ... [i.ibb.co]

Linked Image
15:59, Thu 18 Apr
Rags
Those figures for the single season of 2018/19 at Stoke say it all for me .... £60m spent on what ???!!!??? - he just doesn't know how to recognise a decent player - and tends to get to decent selections in his teams by experimenting until something clicks. Like playing Bielik at centre half - even we all knew he had played well there before.

Linked Image

Usually I would ask "but how much input does a manager have on transfers?", but those are clearly all peak Rowett signings. Luckily I think our transfers will be a bit more planned. I suspect most of our targets are already lined up irrespective of who our manager ends up being.
16:31, Thu 18 Apr
Rags

Linked Image

Definitely should have minimal input on transfers. That's where I don't want to go backwards. But in head coach sort of capacity, maybe?

It's just the alternatives that are big unknowns for me, unless we pull in a big name manager.

All this aside - sincerely hoping Tony is able to return. I want him above anyone else.
16:34, Sat 20 Apr
burton870
Will your opinion of him have changed from what you thought of him 12 months ago?

No. After that team selection and first half he has ruined everything good from the Coventry game.
16:48, Sat 20 Apr
Solid manager.

I’d go for a better manager if we can get one, keep him if we can’t.

But even if he stays, I have a feeling we’d end up sacking him halfway through next season when he doesn’t meet expectation.
17:28, Sat 20 Apr
mjd2505
Rowett has only had money at Stoke though, which was a good few years ago and he's publicly admitted he made mistakes whilst there (that accountability for me is really important - see Rooney as the opposite to that).

I also didn't expect us to play in possession the way we have under Rowett. Sure he's been limited by options (no Jutkiewicz up front), but can't deny especially in the Cov game and excluding the Cardiff game, we've had some really nice moments on the ball. Defensively, it's exactly as I expected us to play under him - but that's not a bad thing.

I'm not sure I buy the whole "you need to play X style to get promoted". It's much, much more about quality of player and getting the best out of them, and that's what I believe Rowett would do. As long as we stick to the same philosophy recruitment wise (just with a higher budget - we still want to be buying young technical players as a whole, just that adding a bit of experience and leadership in this summer to replace what we've lost is imperative), I wouldn't mind him staying.

But as I said. If it's an unpopular decision, I'd rather not. I still haven't seen anyone suggest any viable alternatives. I think Corberan is a stretch. Maybe he would come, but it's still very possible Albion get promoted and then what? He's not going to leave them then. It'd be a sideways step at best for him to go from Albion to Blues, unless the Albion board tell him without promotion they need a fire sale.

Don't forget they've been taken over. They're probably not in the dire straits they were earlier this season off the field.

One alternative is going back in for Steve Cooper. Didn't get the Palace job, apparently our stumbling block in Jan was a lack of money to spend. Well, that's no longer an issue in the summer.

And this is all assuming Mowbray leaves. If he stays there's zero question. And that, to me, seems likely.

Good post