13:40, Thu 18 Apr
MattBCFC1979
Think that’s a good point….

We’d be the same absolutely buzzing, I guess the historic crew are going to be a smaller number, but would be same for any club that’s grown quite quickly over the last 10 to 15 years.

Jude played really high last night, so spent most his night closing down, it’s all very technical, i did try and start ‘get into them….’ Chant didn’t really catch on.

Also my ‘who’ when Modric came on fell on death ears…..

Modric = Euroshop Sunjic.
13:46, Thu 18 Apr
I can see how you and the OP enjoyed your trip there as a tourist effectively. But from the point of view of the ‘original’ or ‘legacy’ (or whatever you want to call them) fans, it does sound a bit shit?

Yeah I bet they hate winning the PL every year and the occasional CL.
13:56, Thu 18 Apr
mjd2505
Miss World
NouCamp
did the same recently and took in an evening game there, had similar feelings...some incredibly entitled younger fans getting irritated with world class footballers who have only ever known success. older heads grumbling about the tourists making them stand up coming and going for refreshments or asking to move seats so they could sit together

thousands of tourists or neutrals all over the place

but easy access to food and drink etc

trams were rammed getting there and then 40 minute walk back into the city centre after the game was the easiest way to get away

traffic looked gridlocked

enjoyed it though and might go back for a big UCL semi final in the future

I can see how you and the OP enjoyed your trip there as a tourist effectively. But from the point of view of the ‘original’ or ‘legacy’ (or whatever you want to call them) fans, it does sound a bit shit?

We've got to accept that if we ever got to that kind of level and to the level of filling out a 60k stadium, we absolutely will lose at least some of the 'hostility' that St Andrews can still generate. But the up side is to be at that level, we've got to be established in the prem or even further up. Personally, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to take for a much more successful club.

If we embrace new fans and guide them instead of being gatekeepers, there’s no reason a large share of them couldn’t develop into what is basically your current average Blues fan, in terms of how they act on match day.

Plus, our reputation for being a bit of a rascally club will remain IMO. We will be a magnet for nippers from towns with prawn sandwich clubs who wanna be little Zulus.
13:57, Thu 18 Apr
Tandy

It’s not the point I was trying to make tbh. I get that it’s just an inevitable trade off of the reason why probably a good proportion of ‘legacy fans’ got into going to the football in the first place, vs obviously the success that you get by sacrificing that for revenue growth. I know you can’t really have one without the other, and the game has moved on.

But since you’re being a sarky bugger about it, I should point out that Man City won’t win the champions league this year due in no small part to the result in the match under discussion 😘
13:58, Thu 18 Apr
yeehaw
mjd2505
Miss World
NouCamp
did the same recently and took in an evening game there, had similar feelings...some incredibly entitled younger fans getting irritated with world class footballers who have only ever known success. older heads grumbling about the tourists making them stand up coming and going for refreshments or asking to move seats so they could sit together

trams were rammed getting there and then 40 minute walk back into the city centre after the game was the easiest way to get away

We've got to accept that if we ever got to that kind of level and to the level of filling out a 60k stadium, we absolutely will lose at least some of the 'hostility' that St Andrews can still generate. But the up side is to be at that level, we've got to be established in the prem or even further up. Personally, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to take for a much more successful club.

If we embrace new fans and guide them instead of being gatekeepers, there’s no reason a large share of them couldn’t develop into what is basically your current average Blues fan, in terms of how they act on match day.

Plus, our reputation for being a bit of a rascally club will remain IMO. We will be a magnet for nippers from towns with prawn sandwich clubs who wanna be little Zulus.

Christ, I’d persuaded myself the trade off was worth it till I read this bit 😂
14:03, Thu 18 Apr
Tandy

This means less.

If you win every year or 4/5 years in 6 it just can't be the same intensity of feeling as if the trophy is very much a one off.

I'd hate to get like Arsenal fans where the moment they start losing late in a game 60-70% of the crowd makes for the exit.
14:05, Thu 18 Apr
philly_bluenose
I know a father and daughter who flew from Boston for 2 days, just to see the game.
Bit drastic, would have gone A17/M1/M62.
15:22, Thu 18 Apr
yeehaw
Ribeye
Saw a bloke pushing his lad round the park in Yardley the other day, he was under the age of 2 and wearing a man city kit. I think it's an absolute disgrace. Not as if the kid has chosen to wear it so I blame the parents.

Yeah that’s awful. No need for it. Gilb or Queens?

Gilbert
15:49, Thu 18 Apr
bluearmyfaction
philly_bluenose
I know a father and daughter who flew from Boston for 2 days, just to see the game.
Sure, but the M62 could be a big busy at that time of night!
15:52, Thu 18 Apr
yeehaw
mjd2505
Miss World
NouCamp

Assuming this becomes a reality, we need to send the tourists home as evangelical advocates for the club. Should tourist tickets come with links e.g., to song lyrics, SHA, local pubs and what to expect?
16:03, Thu 18 Apr
Ribeye
Saw a bloke pushing his lad round the park in Yardley the other day, he was under the age of 2 and wearing a man city kit. I think it's an absolute disgrace. Not as if the kid has chosen to wear it so I blame the parents.

Locals here in Torquay probably think the same when I take my nephew to the park in his full Blues Kit 😁
If I had the wings of a sparrow
16:10, Thu 18 Apr
MattBCFC1979
Last night I went to the Man City vs Madrid game. Mostly because my lad is obsessed with Bellingham and was cheaper than going to Madrid.

My view:

Lots, and I mean lots of football tourists, who you could tell was wearing their newly acquired Man City top, under there Liverpool, PSG, Madrid one.

All about the experience, food was great, DJ and light-show before the game, and clean, get this clean facilities…..

Atmosphere was like going to a festival or even the theatre (brought a programme, first time in 30 years). Loud in parts, but not hostile, intimidating, or even authentic really.

Traffic was pure madness, didn’t get out of the sports quartile till gone 12.

In conclusion, as a football tourist for the day it delivered exactly what we wanted, like the theatre, they even did an encore….

All exciting stuff and top end glimpse to the future, now where’s my Madrid top…..

Was it easy for you to get tickets, and did you pay over the odds for them???
the king loves me
16:19, Thu 18 Apr
No idea face value, but paid 200 each for tickets and coach. we’d have got the same tickets for the semi’s if they’d got through.

obviously with my Blues hat on I’m thinking experience, sport quartile, etc. so yea very interesting and completely different feel from a ‘fans’ perspective.
16:27, Thu 18 Apr
Ribeye
yeehaw
Ribeye

Yeah that’s awful. No need for it. Gilb or Queens?

Gilbert

Oh nice, my old neck of the woods. First time I got the shit kicked out of me was at Gilbertstone. I grew up on Vera
16:45, Thu 18 Apr
bluearmyfaction
philly_bluenose
Sure, but the M62 could be a big busy at that time of night!

Take the scenic route, stop off in Bakewell for a pudding and avoid the traffic! A17 A617 A619 A6