Nah. We'd already be down,.
21:12, Wed 24 Apr
Rags
Rags
Rags
Rags
Buchanan and Laird would be the best full backs in that league by miles

Spot on

You've even proven that with decent managers we'd be close to, or in, the play-offs. But people aren't interested ... they just want to unload their bile and vitriol at the easiest target that doesn't involve any thought

What are you basing that claim on? The close to or in the playoffs one.

er .. the facts as Le Mod posted them.
Our points return per game under Eustace and Mowbray

The same Eustace who had us 7th last December and ended up finishing 17th would have got us to around 70 points at this stage of the season?

Mowbray sample size is far too small, and I say that as someone who loves the bastard.

We've got the following players who are better than merely "good" at this level..

Laird
Buchanan
Drameh
Bielik
Dozzell
Bacuna
Paik
Miyoshi
Stansfield

Some who are good on their day..
James (who has the excuse of the inconsistency of youth)
Anderson
Dembele
Sanderson (alongside Long or Bielik)

One who is good when asked to fulfil a specific role
Sunjic

and a few who haven't shown their ability enough to call them good
T.Roberts
Pritchard

Then there's some who definitely aren't up to this level any more
Juke (bless him)
Hogan
Burke
Gardner
M.Roberts

The player we REALLY needed to be good never actually managed a single game for us . .
Mr Half Decent Centre Forward

You're falling into the trap of viewing some average players (average is ok its not a slight) as good

Not a single one youve listed as better than merely good is better than average

Some have potential to be

Others like Dozzell who cant get in the team Im a bit surprised at

Dozzell is an absolute baller ... not a Rowett type though.

If we sign him he'll definitely be in the running for player of the season in a Mowbray team

QPR mate of mine says he is terribly inconsistent.

... and I say that they are a shit team who don't play to his strengths.

Quite possibly. I don't watch them very much. But they brought three or four new players in in January. Let Dozzell and a couple of others go and been slowly climbing the table since.
06:36, Thu 25 Apr
Tam
Super Hans
Yeah I’m not disputing that we’d have had a better season with Eustace in charge, only an idiot would claim otherwise.

To claim this team would be in or around the playoffs is laughable.

No, I don't think we would either, but it's quite interesting to see the difference between competent and no-competent managers though, isn't? That's a large enough sample size to suggest that the squad is capable of better under a decent manager.

The squad has had 3 allegedly competent managers just this season and are still sitting snug and warm in the shitter.
07:14, Thu 25 Apr
And accumulated 35 points in 23 games so top 10 or higher possibly over the season.
07:32, Thu 25 Apr
Super Hans
Yeah I’m not disputing that we’d have had a better season with Eustace in charge, only an idiot would claim otherwise.

I can’t be arsed to read the whole thread so not sure if anyone else has, but I wasn’t claiming we’d be around the play-offs

I was pointing out that without a drunken potato managing 40% of the season we wouldn’t be in relegation trouble and this thread would not exist

Given we’re 1 point from safety having tossed away 40% of our games I think that’s a safe bet

It’s been proven 3 times that any form of competent manager gets points with these players.
Happy Clapper
08:00, Thu 25 Apr
Le Mod
Super Hans

I can’t be arsed to read the whole thread so not sure if anyone else has, but I wasn’t claiming we’d be around the play-offs

I was pointing out that without a drunken potato managing 40% of the season we wouldn’t be in relegation trouble and this thread would not exist

Given we’re 1 point from safety having tossed away 40% of our games I think that’s a safe bet

It’s been proven 3 times that any form of competent manager gets points with these players.

Rags claimed it.

I agree that we wouldn’t be in relegation trouble.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
Tam
08:19, Thu 25 Apr
Fat Buddha CBE FEA
Super Hans

No, I don't think we would either, but it's quite interesting to see the difference between competent and no-competent managers though, isn't? That's a large enough sample size to suggest that the squad is capable of better under a decent manager.

The squad has had 3 allegedly competent managers just this season and are still sitting snug and warm in the shitter.

It's the 21 ggames without the competent managers that have been the issue.
Make Blues Great Again
09:31, Thu 25 Apr
Super Hans
Le Mod
Super Hans

Rags claimed it.

I agree that we wouldn’t be in relegation trouble.

Ah no worries

I guess it then leads to the wider point that this thread was themed on, that if we all agree that we wouldn't had been near relegation trouble had Mowbray or Eustace been around longer, then we don't need to 'sell them all' because 'they're all shit', which seems to be quite a common opinion, we just need to actually have a competent manager for the full season rather than only 55% of it

If Mowbray comes back there's no need to get rid of Bacuna, Miyoshi, Laird, Bielik, Buchanan, Paik etc as we know they are good players when playing under him
Happy Clapper
09:43, Thu 25 Apr
Which is why I going down and losing these players isn't a good thing, no matter how it's spun.

They're good players who've been pulled from pillar to post all season without on field leaders to pull them through.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
Not only that but the 'rebuild' would be happening in the Championship anyway - only we won't be able to attract the same level of player if we're in league 1.
And we will be stuck with them for 2/3 years.

Ipswich are clearly the model to follow as Moddy points out, a new owner ( rich ones, model similar to ours) and one transfer window really changed their trajectory

But there’s more portsmouths etc than Ipswich’s if we are honest

That said after being totally of the opinion we are down, hull winning last night means Albion will have to beat Sheffield Wednesday. 4 points would then seen us safe

God I hope we stay up
10:03, Thu 25 Apr
My Blue Heaven

Ipswich are clearly the model to follow as Moddy points out, a new owner ( rich ones, model similar to ours) and one transfer window really changed their trajectory

That said after being totally of the opinion we are down, hull winning last night means Albion will have to beat Sheffield Wednesday. 4 points would then seen us safe

God I hope we stay up

There are more Portsmouths than Ipswichs because bigger teams who go down usually do so because they are in disarray off the field.
Bigger teams who have their act together rarely take more than a 1/2 seasons to get back up after getting their act together.

We have now got our act together after seasons of being in a mess. As long as we don't make any huge blunders, like the Rooney appointment, we should be fine to bounce back up.

We shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to clubs who went down and spent years in a financial mess, because the evidence we have is that we're not going to be close to that.
12:23, Thu 25 Apr
Amen. For the umpteenth effin time, we won’t be going down in the disarray Portsmouth did.
There’s never any guarantees obviously. But, if you’re weighing up our chances, why would you even think of comparing us to Portsmouth?
They couldn’t stick the kettle on down there without worrying if it would put them out of business.
12:25, Thu 25 Apr
I’m referring to Portsmouth and similar clubs not so much in terms of financial issues but clubs stature

There’s some relatively big clubs that have been in league one and struggled

As I said, I’m hopeful we stay up though, not sure why you’re so angry though

Going have a walk around the kingfisher and get a chippy lunch
17:46, Thu 25 Apr
My Blue Heaven

God I hope we stay up

I said the same a few weeks back. We'll be dishing out 2 or 3 year contracts to players that will potentially be no use after 12 months as we'll be after better quality when/if we got promoted.