12:28, Wed 24 Jan
Yeah I mean if it’s having an impact on work or is potentially a risk then I can see why it’s a bit off putting. If they are just a lunatic that gets pissed and sleeps it off at work again can see the issue. But if it’s someone’s who’s had a hard time or a once in a blue moon blue out the night before, then they need a chat not the sack

Unless of course they are driver, bin them off if they are 😂
12:31, Wed 24 Jan
Lots of factors really. Is the person doing the smelling acutely sensitive to alcohol because they don't drink? could be on their clothes? quite hard to say , but i think a sensitive and discreet conversation with the employee from a manager is the way to go.

It's a person with previous history of drink related issues, someone I've known for around 35 years and worked with long in the past. I am his manager now, having taken him on just under a year ago following frank conversations about his lifestyle. He assured me he was a changed person but he's recently taken a lot of time off and I've noticed this past week that old familiar smell of stale beer. I've got a meeting with him tomorrow, just work stuff and I'm going to drop this on him. Knowing the facts as they are, I'm staring at the obvious but I don't know what my next step is going to be if he comes back with "I'm just having a couple of cans a night with my dinner". He's a fairly hygienic person, unlikely to not wash, shower, etc. He's highly experienced at what does, part of the management team and somebody I really don't want to lose but...
12:33, Wed 24 Jan
Bhx
STD
Depends if people wash and brush their teeth, typically a prolonged exposure is how you get the booze smell but 3-4 pints without hygiene will do it as well

Snitch on the prick and take their job

Has op established what football team they support yet?

Doesn't really follow anyone but he's a bit Blues.
12:35, Wed 24 Jan
Tbf if it’s a frequent thing and you’ve told him, it’s only going to go one way.

When dealing with this before, our place offered to help with AA. Maybe worth mentioning it to him and or suggesting the GP.

I
12:38, Wed 24 Jan
I don't need to drink much at all to be able to smell it on me. But that might be to do with how much I struggle with hangovers. I only need to drink a couple of pints and Ill be feeling rough the next day. I'll have hour long showers and drown my insides with tea, fizzy pop and water. It's pretty much the reason I don't often drink because of the battering I take the next day.
12:39, Wed 24 Jan
Yeah. I have no idea where you work but i'd speak to your HR department, and i'd be trying to offer AA / counselling, and if it's unionised i'd ask him if he'd be able to see if is union offer any support too. Oh, and maybe an OH referral and for them to go have an honest discussion with their GP.
12:41, Wed 24 Jan
In that case, 2 hour lunch break and a pay rise
12:42, Wed 24 Jan
Oldham
Yeah. I have no idea where you work but i'd speak to your HR department, and i'd be trying to offer AA / counselling, and if it's unionised i'd ask him if he'd be able to see if is union offer any support too. Oh, and maybe an OH referral and for them to go have an honest discussion with their GP.

Or you could take him down the pub, have a few beers with him and ask him is everything all right?
12:44, Wed 24 Jan
My Blue Heaven
Tbf if it’s a frequent thing and you’ve told him, it’s only going to go one way.

When dealing with this before, our place offered to help with AA. Maybe worth mentioning it to him and or suggesting the GP.

I
There’s always the RAC
Tony Fantastico
12:48, Wed 24 Jan
No unions. Our HR is outsourced, if I refer him, he's fecked.
12:48, Wed 24 Jan
Lots of factors really. Is the person doing the smelling acutely sensitive to alcohol because they don't drink? could be on their clothes? quite hard to say , but i think a sensitive and discreet conversation with the employee from a manager is the way to go.

It's a person with previous history of drink related issues, someone I've known for around 35 years and worked with long in the past. I am his manager now, having taken him on just under a year ago following frank conversations about his lifestyle. He assured me he was a changed person but he's recently taken a lot of time off and I've noticed this past week that old familiar smell of stale beer. I've got a meeting with him tomorrow, just work stuff and I'm going to drop this on him. Knowing the facts as they are, I'm staring at the obvious but I don't know what my next step is going to be if he comes back with "I'm just having a couple of cans a night with my dinner". He's a fairly hygienic person, unlikely to not wash, shower, etc. He's highly experienced at what does, part of the management team and somebody I really don't want to lose but...

Obviously there's a need to be diplomatic here - so dress it up as if you're doing him a favour at first.

"Listen, xxxx, there's something we need to talk about and i'm doing this as a favour. Last couple of days i've been able to smell beer/alcohol on you. We've known each other a long time and i trust you, but you're working with other people who don't know you. If i can smell it then others will be able to smell it, and they probably won't be as kind-hearted as myself and it will only be a matter of time before someone else not as kind as myself will report you for it.
I hope you don't mind me discussing it, but as part of my job, and my responsibilities, it's something i needed to raise - not only from a company point of view but from a personal point of view. If someone else DOES notice it and reports it and you lose this job, where are you going to go from here ?"

Then i'd just leave it at that for a week or two and see if there's any improvement.

If there isn't then that shows he has chosen to ignore the fact that he's thrown your help back in your face. Then is the time to tell him to report it to yourself that he has developed a potential problem with drinking again and that he's reaching out to you for help. HR, in my opinion, have a duty of care towards the health of their employees and because he's reached out to you they need to help him address the issue.
12:49, Wed 24 Jan
Strong aftershave like Brut or Joop you’d never know
If you’ve had an all weekender tbf.
That was my trick.
12:50, Wed 24 Jan
Miguelagenn

Joking aside as his gaffer you need to sort it, in case he takes you down with him
Tony Fantastico
12:52, Wed 24 Jan
That was my trick.

"Strong aftershave like Brut or Joop " ... if it's got to the point where he's drinking that stuff then it may be too late.
12:53, Wed 24 Jan
Rags
That was my trick.

"Strong aftershave like Brut or Joop " ... if it's got to the point where he's drinking that stuff then it may be too late.

😂😂