12:54, Wed 24 Jan
If I smelt joop or brut on someone I’d think it was 2001 and have a breakdown
12:56, Wed 24 Jan
My Blue Heaven
If I smelt joop or brut on someone I’d think it was 2001 and have a breakdown

Only needed a splash, people downed themselves in the stuff 😂
12:57, Wed 24 Jan
Lots of factors really. Is the person doing the smelling acutely sensitive to alcohol because they don't drink? could be on their clothes? quite hard to say , but i think a sensitive and discreet conversation with the employee from a manager is the way to go.

It's a person with previous history of drink related issues, someone I've known for around 35 years and worked with long in the past. I am his manager now, having taken him on just under a year ago following frank conversations about his lifestyle. He assured me he was a changed person but he's recently taken a lot of time off and I've noticed this past week that old familiar smell of stale beer. I've got a meeting with him tomorrow, just work stuff and I'm going to drop this on him. Knowing the facts as they are, I'm staring at the obvious but I don't know what my next step is going to be if he comes back with "I'm just having a couple of cans a night with my dinner". He's a fairly hygienic person, unlikely to not wash, shower, etc. He's highly experienced at what does, part of the management team and somebody I really don't want to lose but...

Obviously there's a need to be diplomatic here - so dress it up as if you're doing him a favour at first.

"Listen, xxxx, there's something we need to talk about and i'm doing this as a favour. Last couple of days i've been able to smell beer/alcohol on you. We've known each other a long time and i trust you, but you're working with other people who don't know you. If i can smell it then others will be able to smell it, and they probably won't be as kind-hearted as myself and it will only be a matter of time before someone else not as kind as myself will report you for it.
I hope you don't mind me discussing it, but as part of my job, and my responsibilities, it's something i needed to raise - not only from a company point of view but from a personal point of view. If someone else DOES notice it and reports it and you lose this job, where are you going to go from here ?"

Then i'd just leave it at that for a week or two and see if there's any improvement.

If there isn't then that shows he has chosen to ignore the fact that he's thrown your help back in your face. Then is the time to tell him to report it to yourself that he has developed a potential problem with drinking again and that he's reaching out to you for help. HR, in my opinion, have a duty of care towards the health of their employees and because he's reached out to you they need to help him address the issue.

PS .. i need to add ... this is my PERSONAL advice on what i would do, and doesn't follow correct procedures or the way that HR probably want you to handle it immediately. Remember HR are actually the company Stasi whose actual role is to protect the company, not the individual.

But the role they have, and the responsibility they have, are two different things
13:00, Wed 24 Jan
A splash for the gash as the toilet attendants used to say

Good days
13:02, Wed 24 Jan
Working in IT back in the day we'd have 8 pints in our lunchbreak.
13:03, Wed 24 Jan
Lots of factors really. Is the person doing the smelling acutely sensitive to alcohol because they don't drink? could be on their clothes? quite hard to say , but i think a sensitive and discreet conversation with the employee from a manager is the way to go.

It's a person with previous history of drink related issues, someone I've known for around 35 years and worked with long in the past. I am his manager now, having taken him on just under a year ago following frank conversations about his lifestyle. He assured me he was a changed person but he's recently taken a lot of time off and I've noticed this past week that old familiar smell of stale beer. I've got a meeting with him tomorrow, just work stuff and I'm going to drop this on him. Knowing the facts as they are, I'm staring at the obvious but I don't know what my next step is going to be if he comes back with "I'm just having a couple of cans a night with my dinner". He's a fairly hygienic person, unlikely to not wash, shower, etc. He's highly experienced at what does, part of the management team and somebody I really don't want to lose but...

Seems he’s a functioning alcoholic and there maybe some underlying reason for it.
Sacking him might kill him.
It’s your conscience of course and you can always convince yourself you tried to help by meddling in someone else’s business.
STD
13:12, Wed 24 Jan
Or go the blackmail way, if he has anything nice that you want or always fancied a go on his other half now is the opportunity
Moist
13:16, Wed 24 Jan
A shower, change of clothes, brush teeth/floss/mouthwash and a good supply of decent mints, and as mentioned something to eat with a couple of coffees will help perk up the hungover person.

I worked with an ex-publican when I was at Uni in mid 90's. Every morning he reeked of it - and I don't mean the Bathe-umms. This was the hard stuff. He had a nose like Alex Ferguson. How the eff he ever got up at that time in the morning I've no idea, and on top of it all, yep - he was driving. He only lasted a month or so.
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates

14 September - Castlemeads Court Retirement Village, Gloucester
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
13:23, Wed 24 Jan
Pervert
13:25, Wed 24 Jan
No unions. Our HR is outsourced, if I refer him, he's fecked.

Talk it over with him, over a pint
13:28, Wed 24 Jan
This is my favourite reply.

Says it all, succinctly.
13:29, Wed 24 Jan

Seems he’s a functioning alcoholic and there maybe some underlying reason for it.
Sacking him might kill him.
It’s your conscience of course and you can always convince yourself you tried to help by meddling in someone else’s business.

He drives through North Warwicks every day, often multiple times a day.

There's a share of risk for us all in this.
13:32, Wed 24 Jan
I know. It's probably the way I'll go, i.e. an off the record warning and an offer of help.

I think that'll be good for about a week though.
13:33, Wed 24 Jan
Charcy
They're all at it in the mail room I've seen Elf.

[m.youtube.com]
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work together for the benefit of all".
J.M. Keynes.
13:36, Wed 24 Jan
Yeah the problem really though is it could be any of us on a given day smelling of booze at work. Work to live after all.