19:28, Wed 22 Nov
Rags
Rags
And how do you know those things haven’t happened?
The fact we’ve taken one point from five games doesn’t mean Rooney et al have been sat with their feet up.
But you know that, don’t you?
Ethan Laird was incredibly upbeat after the Ipswich game I thought, talking about all the work that had gone on regarding the changes he’s trying to implement.
Now you can choose to ignore that or disbelieve it but, in the absence of any proof to the contrary, it’ll do for me.

ALL the players have had 9 days off ... only injured players have been to the training ground in those 9 days - have you read the start of the thread ?

One or two have been on international duty mate...

ALL the players have had 9 days off ... regardless of whether they were on International Duty or not

How does that work then? Do they not join their international team mates for training etc then? Do they just turn up and play 90 mins?
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
19:29, Wed 22 Nov
Rags
The fact we’ve taken one point from five games doesn’t mean Rooney et al have been sat with their feet up.
Ethan Laird was incredibly upbeat after the Ipswich game I thought, talking about all the work that had gone on regarding the changes he’s trying to implement.
Now you can choose to ignore that or disbelieve it but, in the absence of any proof to the contrary, it’ll do for me.

ALL the players have had 9 days off ... only injured players have been to the training ground in those 9 days - have you read the start of the thread ?

Yes, but what difference does that make to a single word I’ve said?
I’ve stated that a player has spoken about the work that’s gone on so far.
There’s now been a break. I’m nowhere near as upset about that as you appear to be.
Serious question. Just how much time do we actually need to imbed new ideas? How many times can they be told x, y or z? At some stage or other, they’re either going to be able to implement those ideas or not.
I’m not being sarcastic. I’m not happy we’ve appointed Rooney, but we have and I’ve got no issue at all with this break for some of the players.
I’m no more or less confident for the coming weeks than I would be if the players had been in for a fortnight day in, day out.
19:31, Wed 22 Nov
Rags
Rags

ALL the players have had 9 days off ... regardless of whether they were on International Duty or not

How does that work then? Do they not join their international team mates for training etc then? Do they just turn up and play 90 mins?

How does it work ? .... after the Sunderland game some went off on International Duty ... the rest have either been at home with a fitness schedule to do, or line Sanderson jetted off on holiday (Tenerife in his case - but he was seen out running each day)

No-one has trained at the training ground until they all returned on Tuesday (yesterday)

S,M,T,W,Th,F,S,S,M = 9 days
19:35, Wed 22 Nov
Rags

There’s now been a break. I’m nowhere near as upset about that as you appear to be.
Serious question. Just how much time do we actually need to imbed new ideas? How many times can they be told x, y or z? At some stage or other, they’re either going to be able to implement those ideas or not.
I’m not being sarcastic. I’m not happy we’ve appointed Rooney, but we have and I’ve got no issue at all with this break for some of the players.
I’m no more or less confident for the coming weeks than I would be if the players had been in for a fortnight day in, day out.

Well we'll see - the "proof" as they say, is in the pudding, and i hope he's done the right thing .... but if I was Rooney and i had publicly stated that the players weren't fit i'd have had them at the training ground rather than left to their own devices .... and he also said that they don't understand their roles in the system (that was after the fifth game) ... so i would have hoped for some intensive work on that too
19:38, Wed 22 Nov
Rags
Rags
Rags

How does it work ? .... after the Sunderland game some went off on International Duty ... the rest have either been at home with a fitness schedule to do, or line Sanderson jetted off on holiday (Tenerife in his case - but he was seen out running each day)

No-one has trained at the training ground until they all returned on Tuesday (yesterday)

Ahhh... that what i said i think... but Rags... you said ALL players apart from injured went off for 9 days...
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
19:41, Wed 22 Nov
Rags
Rags
Rags

Ahhh... that what i said i think... but Rags... you said ALL players apart from injured went off for 9 days...

Well they did all go off for 9 days ... some went on International Duty, some went on holiday, some stayed at houses relaxing .. and those who are injured reported to the training ground for treatment
20:09, Wed 22 Nov
generalBlue
Chris
The consensus when he was in the US was that he spent every second he was awake watching football. He lived with his coaches and they watched and analysed everything from there.

Now he's home, you'd expect him to spend some more time with his family, but I think it's fair to assume the work ethic is there and he'd be spending plenty of time working on plans for the rest of the season.

Bob won't be happy with hearing that.
If Rooney doesn't fail how will he cope ?
Hopefully, if Rooney gets a bit of success, Bob'll disappear again.

Let's hope he effs off again either way
20:19, Wed 22 Nov
Redditch Blue
Rags

Of course they need drilling over and over to be familiar with what’s required of them. Football is complicated, a properly organised press is difficult and takes loads of time to drill.
21:02, Wed 22 Nov
Chris
generalBlue
Chris
The consensus when he was in the US was that he spent every second he was awake watching football. He lived with his coaches and they watched and analysed everything from there.

Now he's home, you'd expect him to spend some more time with his family, but I think it's fair to assume the work ethic is there and he'd be spending plenty of time working on plans for the rest of the season.

Quicker the better
21:56, Wed 22 Nov
Miss World
Redditch Blue
Rags

Of course they need drilling over and over to be familiar with what’s required of them. Football is complicated, a properly organised press is difficult and takes loads of time to drill.

But surely 10 days in Tenerife with a keep fit plan is just as good?
22:25, Wed 22 Nov
Miss World
Redditch Blue
Rags

But surely 10 days in Tenerife with a keep fit plan is just as good?

Rooney thinks so .... and the sightings of Sanderson training hard in Tenerife show that at least one (if not all) are taking it seriously.

I completely disagree though ... i think "muscle memory" is the key to playing at your peak and when things are lacking it's muscle memory that needs to be worked on .... and the most powerful muscle we have, of course is the brain.

Here's what i'm talking about .... people may find it fascinating .... i did .... [www.bbc.com] ... PS it quotes Rooney in it too

"as we practice, areas deeper within the brain reorganise to take on more of the work, leaving the cortex, including areas associated with planning and reasoning, free to take on new tasks."

Do you remember the first time you tried to drive a car ... the clutch biting point, the choke in those days, kangaroo hopping along the road, then trying to synchronise the clutch with changing gear, and looking in the mirror, whilst keeping track of the road, and indicating and turning whilst changing gear and braking correctly without slamming you foot on the brake ... ? .... it can take most people best part of a year just to get semi-proficient in that.

And now ? ... piece of piss - you think "how on earth did it take me so long to learn something so easy ?"

Muscle memory !!

Shit, got a new system, got a new gaffer, got to do new things, what am i supposed to do here ? .... the players shouldn't have to be thinking about it, they need that "muscle memory" so it becomes automatic.
23:26, Wed 22 Nov
I don't know what the norm is for squads during international breaks so I'm not going to be too critical if the players are on holiday.

But considering how easily we have been opened up the last 5 games you would hope that there would be some extra work on defensive shape.
23:39, Wed 22 Nov
I don't know what the norm is for squads during international breaks so I'm not going to be too critical if the players are on holiday.

But considering how easily we have been opened up the last 5 games you would hope that there would be some extra work on defensive shape.

I could find plenty of examples of Eustace having all the players in during international breaks - but admit couldn't prove it on all of them

Some clubs, apparently do do it - some don't

Sheffield Wednesday definitely haven't done it this time ..... their new manager has had them in every day going through a new pre-season
23:40, Wed 22 Nov
Chris
generalBlue
Chris

😃
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
23:41, Wed 22 Nov
mr_crosby
Chris
generalBlue
Chris

Quicker the better

😁
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )