19:10, Sun 26 Nov
In August 2025 get the chance to have a holiday kid free, so after recommendations. Big challenge is the wife views holiday as sitting by the pool and drinking cocktails, if we are just doign that then i see no need to travel too far. So looking for tips on really nice/luxury hotels in Europe that m\y give me the opportunity to bugger off and find a bit of culture.

Places i would prefer - Malta, Greece (not cyprus) not Canaries or Balearics not turkey or tunisia - Only because have done those and looking for somewhere different

Croatia and around there would be of most interest.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
19:13, Sun 26 Nov
Sorrento
19:16, Sun 26 Nov
Adriatic Coast in Italy.

Haven’t been myself but a few people have been to Montenegro and had a really good time but don’t think it’s quite as developed for tourism as Croatia.
19:21, Sun 26 Nov
This looks nice

19:32, Sun 26 Nov
I consider myself pretty well travelled. It honestly doesn't matter where you go. A cocktail in the sun tastes the same and is just as relaxing in the Costa del bollix as it is in the Maldives.

More about the hotel and that. Your not getting much culture in any holiday resort.
19:35, Sun 26 Nov
Thats my logic as to why want recommendations for hotels in Europe rather than go Maldives etc. But would prefer to at least go somewhere not been before.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
19:39, Sun 26 Nov
Alvor
19:59, Sun 26 Nov
TheHeath
Adriatic Coast in Italy.

Haven’t been myself but a few people have been to Montenegro and had a really good time but don’t think it’s quite as developed for tourism as Croatia.

Montenegro, is fabulous it’s got everything you need.

20:04, Sun 26 Nov
You mentioned Greece, Kefalonia is my shout, you can lounge around a pool by all means but there’s culture too not too far from your hotel.
07:59, Mon 27 Nov
Italy:
Tropea/Capo Vaticano
Puglia - Locorontondo/Ceglie Messapica
Maratea
08:21, Mon 27 Nov
Why not Cyprus? Paralimni has everything to offer.
12:52, Mon 27 Nov
Skiathos
13:32, Mon 27 Nov
Dubrovnik is an obvious one though maybe Hvar would be good. A number of swanky chilled hotels around the harbour, Venetian old town, trips to other islands, across to Split to see the incredible Diocletian’s Palace… gets pretty hot there in August though.

The towns up in the north in Istria are all very pretty too and lots to do there.
13:44, Mon 27 Nov
I disagree. The culture of the country plays a big part in the hotel experience. The best we've ever had in terms of resort was Cancun. Not only was the hotel top drawer but the staff were the best I've met and I believe that's due to the fact that their main customer base is the US where service is highly regarded. Very different to the service I've had in Spain, for example.
14:08, Mon 27 Nov
There are some lovely high class hotels on the Costa del Sol. There are great transport links to take you to the fabulous Malaga, or you are close to mountains for fantastic views and culture.