22:16, Mon 27 Nov
How about a cruise? We've done two in the last two years. It's a floating hotel, new destination and experience virtually everyday. Different countries, different cultures to explore if going round the Med & Aegan. Mrs gets to enjoy sun loungers en route. Get treated like a king, Blues flag hanging over your balcony, go on you deserve it. Win/win. You'll thank me later!
Dan
22:20, Mon 27 Nov
As ever, Benidorm is the correct answer to this question.
22:34, Mon 27 Nov
Lake Garda...beautiful scenery. Take in a wine tasting trip, close to Verona, get the bus to Monte Baldo and go up the cable car.

We stopped in Garda Town which was lovely with lovely food, and always just a ferry trip on he lake to other similarly pretty towns
macca salop blue
How about a cruise? We've done two in the last two years. It's a floating hotel, new destination and experience virtually everyday. Different countries, different cultures to explore if going round the Med & Aegan. Mrs gets to enjoy sun loungers en route. Get treated like a king, Blues flag hanging over your balcony, go on you deserve it. Win/win. You'll thank me later!

Just back off a Danube river cruise. Several times better than I was expecting, ship, trips and food fantastic. Was sceptical, but would do again in a heartbeat.

That said, it was full on, very little downtime, but also, very little sober time, so it gets a massive đź‘Ť from me.
22:46, Mon 27 Nov
How about a cruise? We've done two in the last two years. It's a floating hotel prison

Genuinely couldn’t think of a worse way to go on holiday.

Horses for courses though of course.
22:49, Mon 27 Nov
Tom TheProject Brady
How about a cruise? We've done two in the last two years. It's a floating hotel prison

Tbf, I thought the same until I tried it.
22:52, Mon 27 Nov
macca salop blue

She won't do one she gets sea sick on the canal. I managed to get her to do a 3 night one for wedding anniversary and it got cancelled due to Covid and she won't agree to another.

I'm going to look at other suggestions the Lake Garda one looks promising.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
22:53, Mon 27 Nov
I’d love to go back to Porec in Croatia, which I visited over 25 years ago.

At that time there was a massive, empty hotel on the seafront. It had obviously been a very grand hotel in its time but had fallen into disrepair as tourism suffered during the war.

It’s now open again as the Hotel Palazzo and looks incredible.

Porec itself is a lovely harbour town with natural gardens and lovely beaches including a small island that you can visit for the day. You can also hop on the catamaran over to Venice for a day trip.

The outdoor cinema was quite an experience too!
Irving Selikoff - "Statistics are people with the tears wiped away"
22:57, Mon 27 Nov
Robert Hopkins
macca salop blue

She won't do one she gets sea sick on the canal. I managed to get her to do a 3 night one for wedding anniversary and it got cancelled due to Covid and she won't agree to another.

I'm going to look at other suggestions the Lake Garda one looks promising.

Pm me for a medication to ask your doctor for. Mrs PD gets seasick when watching Jayne McDonald, but she has medication for middle ear infections that really work. I’ve shared it with several people who have tried it successfully.

We’ve done Halong Bay, and now a week on the Danube with no problems.
10:29, Tue 28 Nov
Pearly Dewdrops
Tom TheProject Brady

Tbf, I thought the same until I tried it.

Seconded. I hated the idea but I have been on 12 cruises. It would be 13 but my cruise to Israel amongst other destinations got cancelled.
Roj
11:51, Tue 28 Nov
I've been to Lake Garda 3 times to various grades of hotel in Riva Del Garda. Hotel Du Lac et du Parc is by far the best in Riva.

I'd also recommend Lago Maggiore where boat trips on the lake and the train down to Milan are possible if you stay in Stressa. If August 15th is in the holiday the hotels pull out all the stops to create tables of food on the lawns outside showing off. .
12:38, Tue 28 Nov
tipton. close the thread.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
19:00, Tue 28 Nov
In August 2025 get the chance to have a holiday kid free, so after recommendations. Big challenge is the wife views holiday as sitting by the pool and drinking cocktails, if we are just doign that then i see no need to travel too far. So looking for tips on really nice/luxury hotels in Europe that m\y give me the opportunity to bugger off and find a bit of culture.

Places i would prefer - Malta, Greece (not cyprus) not Canaries or Balearics not turkey or tunisia - Only because have done those and looking for somewhere different

Croatia and around there would be of most interest.

The advantage you have with Malta is that as long as you stay near the bus routes then you can easily travel to all the interesting places with complete ease whilst she sits by the pool all day.

July is hottest month, very little chance of rain, almost everyone speaks English, few scammers and pests, loads to see and usually within a 30 minute bus journey (every bus goes to Valletta where you change to another). Just do your research and work out your trips before you go

(Don't bother going to Gozo - it's the exact same but shit and not worth spending a day getting there and back)
01:14, Wed 29 Nov
Porec in Croatia.
If you feel adventurous you can hire a car and go to Ljubljana, Trieste,Lake Bled.
Prices are quite reasonable as I recall
Is there anyone else on here who doesn’t actually like going on holiday?