Tam
12:52, Sun 3 Dec
Mithrandir
Are we genuinely comparing Wayne Rooney to Marcelo Bielsa 🤣

'Obviously there's no hiding from the issues about timing and the fact Bielsa was a far, far, far more competent and proven manager'

No, I don't think that he was. Well, I suppose that he was, but unfavourably.
Make Blues Great Again
12:52, Sun 3 Dec
footballisanart
Of the current squad.

Definitely: Laird, Buchanan, JJ, Miyoshi, Stanno, Dembele

Maybe: Drameh, Aiwu, Beilik, Bacca

All we need is a keeper for a starting 11…

Rico Patterson has been training a lot with the first team and Rooney is a big fan apparently
12:54, Sun 3 Dec
Surely good managers look at the squad and think we should play this way as its what the players are good at. Not this is my preferred style and if the players can't execute it then I'll slag them off in the post match presser.
13:01, Sun 3 Dec
Tam
Tam
BlueCobbler
Regardless of results, I don't think anyone can hand on heart say with any real conviction that we ever looked a cohesive attacking threat under Eustace.

It was always sit deep, go back to front as fast as possible and hope our front 3 or 4 could string enough together to make something happen. Absolutely nothing went through the midfield, it was always recover the ball then a sideways pass.

I do genuinely believe we were going to have to change style at some point, we couldn't have continued playing that way forever and I don't think Eustace was brave enough to try.

This could be a good thing for us and a way to find out who's worth keeping in the squad going forward. A good friend of mine is a Leeds fan and has drawn parallels to what Bielsa had to go through when he first joined them. Quickly rooted out the players that for whatever reason were incapable of passing it positively.

No, we weren't high scoring, but nor were we conceding of course. I actually enjoyed watching some of the games this season and thought that we were evolving towards being a decent side going forward. Perhaps it was just me, but I thought that our quality of football was getting better.

The football was fine and we was getting better. It was a step up from last season. We got results and were in the main hard to beat, especially at home. We went to swansea, bristol and preston and was the better team. Almost every set of fans at other teams said we looked decent and fancied us to be dark horses/top 10. Now they laugh how bad we are.

All this talk of this change had to happen is the reason we deserve what we are getting. We have far too many fans that don't understand football.

I can't think of another fanbase that has been conned twice now into thinking that throwing league position and results under the bus is worth it if we can just pass side to side more.
13:45, Sun 3 Dec
That’s nonsense. I hardly ever saw any opposing fans compliment us in any way after we beat them. It was always “Birmingham are so poor but we managed to lose” type of comments. The only game where I heard positive comments from opposing fans or media was when we beat Hull 2-0 away. Maybe Bristol away this season.
13:52, Sun 3 Dec
Ted Tin-man Mcminn
That’s nonsense. I hardly ever saw any opposing fans compliment us in any way after we beat them. It was always “Birmingham are so poor but we managed to lose” type of comments. The only game where I heard positive comments from opposing fans or media was when we beat Hull 2-0 away. Maybe Bristol away this season.

It's not. You can go to both swansea and preston forums now n look up their match stuff against us. Bristol were complimentary.

Preston especially felt lucky to win. Sunderland fans before we sacked eustace were also predicting a hard game against us n saying we had done good business in the summer.

The only people who thought we was shit this season was ironically a section of our fansbase. The same ones who are now saying a good half against ipswich n blackburn is a positive.
13:52, Sun 3 Dec
PRBlue
Impossible to answer because I don’t even know what Rooneyball is. I have seen a myriad of attempted styles and formations so far in only 8 games Bigger problem is I’m not convinced Rooney does either and the players definitely do not.

That’s unfair, because for the last 5 games we’ve set up in the same 4-2-2-2 box formation. Personal May have changed and the way we press but that’s normal as the opponents style is different. We pressed really high and aggressively against Ipswich and Blackburn because they play out from the back. Against Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday we didn’t because they go long from the keeper. We definitely attempt to play more passes and play through midfield and the players rotate much more which makes it more fluid. Problems are glaring individual mistakes and not playing as a unit.
13:54, Sun 3 Dec
Surely good managers look at the squad and think we should play this way as its what the players are good at. Not this is my preferred style and if the players can't execute it then I'll slag them off in the post match presser.

I don't know but I'd hazard a guess that Villa John would not implement the change in style that the money desired. So he was dispensed with.I don't know but I'd hazard a guess that the money employed Rooney specifically to change the style of play. Whether you like or not.
13:59, Sun 3 Dec
Well he’s certainly changing the style of play, almost every game, 5 different styles so far
Happy Clapper
14:00, Sun 3 Dec
Tha Project OBE

I don't know but I'd hazard a guess that Villa John would not implement the change in style that the money desired. So he was dispensed with.I don't know but I'd hazard a guess that the money employed Rooney specifically to change the style of play. Whether you like or not.
I have no problem with the style change at all. I welcome it. But at the right time under a more competent manager.
14:07, Sun 3 Dec
Well he’s certainly changing the style of play, almost every game, 5 different styles so far

Yes. It has been referred to, rather repetitively.

Some say the problem is he is stubborn and won't change some say the opposite.

Some say he should be more flexible, others say altering things is a sign of weakness/stupidity.

They are all correct, I suppose.
15:39, Sun 3 Dec
Somebody on here please tell me what Rooneyball actually is ,does anybody really know ? Does World Class Wayne really know or does he just make it up week by week ?
15:42, Sun 3 Dec
There’s plenty of info out there, if choose to seek it out. Doesn’t take much effort, but maybe a bit more effort than simply posting puerile inaccuracies.

Not accusing you of that, by the way. I’m sure you’re being sincere.
15:46, Sun 3 Dec
Your guess is as good as mine. At least with JE, we had a clear style of play, and the players knew it and knew their roles and were organised around it. I’m not saying it was perfect, or even the most enjoyable to watch, but it’s been more effective than the dross we’re seeing now.

Now we don’t have a clear style of play in my opinion, and the players look lost, nervous and afraid. From watching it definitely looks like they don’t know their roles or jobs.

Of course it takes time to adapt a new style of play, but he’s had 8 games now, been there 2 months and if anything we’re getting worse.
15:52, Sun 3 Dec
Oddly many on here were bemoaning JE’s lack of team style or identity when we weren’t winning too. Those last two results against Hudds and Albion seemed to have erased a lot of people’s memories.