19:25, Sun 3 Dec
Thinking of getting one. Any tips you could hurl my way. Are they any good ? Cost effective ?
19:30, Sun 3 Dec
Wood has become very expensive but if ya want cosy it's worth it
19:33, Sun 3 Dec
Had mine for 2 years well worth the outlay,my wood costs £70 for a tonne bag.
19:37, Sun 3 Dec
Worthy
Thinking of getting one. Any tips you could hurl my way. Are they any good ? Cost effective ?

Clearview... quite expensive but i think best on the market... looking at our lovely cosy one right now!!!

[www.clearviewstoves.com]

Read their section on Environment.

If you have room have a freestanding one... not a "built-in" one. More heat gets into room that way.

Don't believe the hype about kiln dried logs being needed to give good heat and efficiency... well seasoned mixed logs are just as good and are much cheaper.

When ours is on (in 7.5m x 4.5m lounge) we have to turn the radiators off.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
We had one already installed when we bought our house 4 years ago. Great on the weekends. I get free wood from work by chopping up pallets (don't burn painted pallets as they are not safe to burn), reduces the running costs a lot!
19:40, Sun 3 Dec
Novakainian
We had one already installed when we bought our house 4 years ago. Great on the weekends. I get free wood from work by chopping up pallets (don't burn painted pallets as they are not safe to burn), reduces the running costs a lot!

mmm... be careful with pallets... a lot are treated and shouldn't really be burned.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
19:49, Sun 3 Dec
I burn mainly coal, burns a lot longer than wood and you don't get spitting.

The Homeburn fuel is smokeless, burns well and gives off better heat.

On a day such as tooday when we are both at home I use a mixture of small logs or pallet wood that's usually wet so the fire burns a bit longer.

Depending on when we are home we use about a bag and a bit per week, it's £12 per bag, so cheaper than having the heating on but only warms one room.

Nice and cosy and we wouldn't be without it.
19:52, Sun 3 Dec
My neighbour has one and they do give out a lot of heat but they are environmentally bad.
19:53, Sun 3 Dec
I concur, we have two, the Clearview is by far the most efficient and gives off great heat.

Just get dry timber and put in some smokeless coal at night, which will keep it ticking over all night
What did the Knights in White satin?
19:54, Sun 3 Dec
Last house we had a clear view. Only brought kiln dried logs. We not only switched the heating off we’d end up opening the back door it was so hot. Nippers when they came home were always complaining the house was too hot.

New house we’re in had a small one in situ, no idea what make it is, looks lovely when it’s going but doesn’t give out nearly as much heat. We bought seasoned logs not kiln dried, that could be the reason though they seem to burn well enough. 100 quid for a square metre, don’t know how that translates to tonne. Got through about a third of it, maybe less in 4 weeks.

Neighbours have recommended a kiln dried geezer 105 fora bulk bag, whatever that is. Seems cheaper round here than South Wales anyway.
19:56, Sun 3 Dec
As mentioned above - most pallets are treated and give off nasty stuff man.

I got an outdoor burner in the summer. I had 2 pallets in the garden so I chopped em up and stuck some in - the stench and the amount of smoke was inappropriate for a built up area. I put it out as soon as I could. Took the pallets down the tip.
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates -

17 Feb - Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury
2 Mar - Taachi Morris Arts Centre, Taunton
30 Mar - Prince Of Wales Theatre, Cannock
20 Apr - Brewhouse Arts Centre, Burton on Trent
7 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
8 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
Had a stove for 12 years now. I really would recommend a Morso multi-fuel stove, they are incredibly solid and well made. I burn wood and coal. 25kg bag of ecoal is about £20 and made from coal and olive stones mixed and burns a lot longer than wood.
Huge build of dust with coal though, I’ve found.
20:05, Sun 3 Dec
Worthy

As QBBC2 also linked, if you care anything at all for the environment or your children's health then you won't be buying a wood or coal burner. Unless you don't have mains power then there is absolutely no need for it

[www.mumsforlungs.org]