12:05, Sun 10 Dec
In an effort to add balance to my thoughts about a lack of application and effort from some players, it's fair to assess Rooney's weaknesses / performance too.
If from day one he waltzed in and gave it the big "I am" that was a huge mistake.
Whist impressive on paper his coaching staff have never before worked as a " team ". Expecting them to gel immediately is another huge misjudgement. ( not Rooney's more Gary Cook's maybe ).
Effective man-management is vital. There's been little evidence of any ability in that area so far. Different individuals respond to different methods but if there's a continuous stick being waved, that's not conducive to harmony. There's a need to be positive and supportive as well as being constructively critical. Has Rooney got that ? If not he needs to grasp it and apply it very quickly.
If Rooney is picking " Yes Boss , whatever you say Boss players " that's a road to ruin also.
I'd love to be a fly on the dressing room wall before the match and at half time. We've largely been slow out the blocks - Friday was better for the first 10 minutes. Surely Rooney rallys the troops - maybe not ?
We don't need a maniac screaming at every ref's decision, we don't need the boss criticising any and everything we do but equally we need a bit of life and a lot of communication from the sidelines.
Arms folded defensive body language ain't gonna generate a positive feeling amongst his squad or supporters. Even a bit more animation might help encourage a spirited response.
The combination of shared responsibility and togetherness is badly needed.
Maybe it needs to be aired in Rooney's next press conference ...... surely it wouldn't do any harm.
Hopefully behind the scenes, if there are battle positions drawn , then Rooney will adopt a very different strategy going forward.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
Tam
12:21, Sun 10 Dec
Excellent post GB, and balances well against your criticism of the players. I think that, as usual, that no one party is to blame - it really has been a melting pot of (looking like) poor decisions and timing.
Make Blues Great Again
12:24, Sun 10 Dec
Tam
Agreed on the timing. If they'd held back a few weeks with the JE/WR change it would've made a huge difference.

An initial tough 5 games was always going to be tricky.
12:32, Sun 10 Dec
i said on another Rooney is really not equipped to deal with the situation we are in - He spent his playing career with world class players who were clear winenrs. When he was at Derby there was a natural seige mentality, and no expectation of success. So, to answer your question, i don't he will be here long enough to be able to learn what he needs to.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
12:39, Sun 10 Dec
One of the things I read about him, a lot, was how good is he with players…empathetic and emotionally intelligent. Maybe those writers were overstating the case, maybe we fans, don’t really have any idea about how happy or unhappy the squad is.

He’s said he wants players to feel free to take risks without fear of a bollocking. That doesn’t necessarily mean do stupid, reckless things without fear of a bollocking.

It’s obvious he has a lot to learn, same as any inexperienced manager. I know he started his coaching badges but don’t know if he finished em, but I hope he is a man willing to learn from mistakes and experience. Take on new knowledge, develop his thinking. I think he is.

Might be fecking wrong though. Only time will tell.
13:44, Sun 10 Dec
If Cook and Rooney are as good pals as we have been told then why didn't he tell him the job was his, have a few weeks rest and let JE have a bad result or 2 and then make the change.

In my opinion it's a monumental oversight by someone who has been involved in football as long as he has and would 100% have let Rooney have a bit of a grace period with the fans.
13:49, Sun 10 Dec
I am a manager in my job trying to get my team to function reasonably. But fundamentally there will only be a step change in performance if some of the old timers leave or we pay more to get new people in. Same at Blues.
Tam
13:51, Sun 10 Dec
Haircut1000
I am a manager in my job trying to get my team to function reasonably. But fundamentally there will only be a step change in performance if some of the old timers leave or we pay more to get new people in. Same at Blues.

Or, of course, if you have the ability to be a good manager. If not, no matter how good your staff are, you won't do very well.
Make Blues Great Again
14:02, Sun 10 Dec
Tam
“Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not. ”

⇒Carl G. Jung
14:07, Sun 10 Dec
Tam
Tam
Haircut1000

Or, of course, if you have the ability to be a good manager. If not, no matter how good your staff are, you won't do very well.

Yeah good point. But is Rooney more of a coach or manager?
Tam
14:15, Sun 10 Dec
Tha Project OBE
“Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not. ”

⇒Carl G. Jung

I'm always saying that.
Make Blues Great Again
14:34, Sun 10 Dec
Haircut1000

I hear what you say, but I don’t really agree. There is a difference between manager and leader. Rooney has to be a leader. I led a ‘team’ of over 2,000. The ones you talk about only need ‘managing’ - they’re easy. A leader is paid to motivate the ones who find change a challenge, to make them feel wanted, respected and have a real ‘worth’. Very few need getting ‘rid of’.

Rooney needs to go on our ‘Management of Change’ course. I’m not sure Rooney even knows what the core purpose of the organisation is.
14:40, Sun 10 Dec
Fair play, GB.
14:53, Sun 10 Dec
turley
Haircut1000

I hear what you say, but I don’t really agree. There is a difference between manager and leader. Rooney has to be a leader. I led a ‘team’ of over 2,000. The ones you talk about only need ‘managing’ - they’re easy. A leader is paid to motivate the ones who find change a challenge, to make them feel wanted, respected and have a real ‘worth’. Very few need getting ‘rid of’.

Rooney needs to go on our ‘Management of Change’ course. I’m not sure Rooney even knows what the core purpose of the organisation is.

Yeah good point. I guess the leadership thing is tricky for Rooney. In terms of football (scoring goals) he has always been among the best in the world. But he never has had to worry how to eke the most from fellow travellers.
15:09, Sun 10 Dec
Within your circle of competence, you operate with an advantage. As you approach the perimeter (the limitations of your knowledge), your advantage starts to reduce. As you cross the perimeter, not only does your advantage vanish, but it transfers to other people. Suddenly, you find yourself playing in an area where others have an edge.

Simple.