15:27, Mon 11 Dec
Go up every year , wasn't going to bother this year but had a spare day so thought I'd pop up .
Load of shit. Worst ever. Just food stalls hot dogs and doughnuts that's it. Massive gaps between the ramp and Piccadilly arcade. It needs knocking on the head.
I'd be fuming if I'd travelled a distance for it.
The ones abroad put it to shame.

Walked up needless alley to pigeon park that wasn't much better. Litter everywhere but then again I suppose the council can't afford to sweep the streets.

Went to the Victorian one in Stratford last week and it was brilliant. All types of gifts aswell as food and drink . Puts ours to shame.
15:33, Mon 11 Dec
More of a plastic Polish market really but it does somehow manage to bring a lot of visitors to the city
15:46, Mon 11 Dec
Went to the Stratford one yesterday, much more enjoyable and got some Blues pin badges too!
15:56, Mon 11 Dec
This'll be my first year in about 15 that I've not bothered. Just can't be arsed with it.

I like the singing santa bloke and that's about it.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
16:02, Mon 11 Dec
gesanners
More of a plastic Polish market really but it does somehow manage to bring a lot of visitors to the city

I don't think it gives them a reason to come back.

Rarely go up town but found it disappointing.

Grand central seems dark and dreary and the ceilings are too low. Preferred the palasades. They really need to fill what was John Lewis with something decent.

New street needs a good clean and corporation street at the top end just needs a bomb dropping on it along with dale end. Used to like oasis market, the old blues shop, foster brothers, toys r us etc. now it's just depressing with pound land and KFC.

High street not great either, massive gap left by Marks and Spencer moving and then there's a bloke trying to covert passers by to Islam outside Primark.

Doesn't have the buzz up there that it had years ago, not sure whether the bullring or online shopping has caused it. I know it was a Monday afternoon but 20 years ago it was buzzing up there. Walking up the ramp to the pallasdes wasn't for the faint hearted now it's dead.
16:06, Mon 11 Dec
Felt much smaller this year, could have been the same last year. A few years ago the stalls etc seemed to reach right round to the library etc.

Although they were still full of rubbish..!

Agree with other posters, Stratfords is miles ahead
Trialist
Went to the Stratford one yesterday, much more enjoyable and got some Blues pin badges too!

Was there beer being served? The Big city markets just seem to have turned into large
outdoor pubs
16:09, Mon 11 Dec
It's not for me and never has been.

But I do think it's another thing we do ourselves down for, it is very popular and a lot of people come from a long way off and enjoy it.

My wife was talking to a couple of Czech women in town on Saturday, they both live in London but had come to Brum for the weekend for the German Market and they thought it was fantastic.
16:15, Mon 11 Dec
Trialist
Anyone wanting to go ypu will need to wait till next years as is only on for 4 days. Stratford-upon-Avon is different and Lincoln is soppose to be good as well.
Bordesley not Small Heath
Trialist

Was there beer being served? The Big city markets just seem to have turned into large
outdoor pubs

Yes but only a very small percentage.
16:21, Mon 11 Dec
Spike
It's not for me and never has been.

But I do think it's another thing we do ourselves down for, it is very popular and a lot of people come from a long way off and enjoy it.

My wife was talking to a couple of Czech women in town on Saturday, they both live in London but had come to Brum for the weekend for the German Market and they thought it was fantastic.

It took me less than 15 mins to get there. If it took any longer I'd be pissed off. I've been almost every year since it started and this year's is by far the worst. I can't tell you how disappointing it is.

I think they need to get away from overpriced hot dogs that cost more than the minimum wage and make it unique to Birmingham some how. Lower the rates and get some bespoke stuff on sale. There's some talented people in the city we need to focus on. Surely there's some artists and jewellers (maybe only costume stuff due to value/security) about who can sell their stuff there? Even though it's more food there has to be places like original patty men who'd make a fortune up there? We're known for the balti but yet no stalls selling it anywhere it's strange. City of a thousand trades and all we can manage is a few hot dog stalls and beer it's piss poor.
16:25, Mon 11 Dec
Ribeye
Bordesley not Small Heath
Trialist

outdoor pubs

Yes but only a very small percentage.

0.5%? That classes as non alcoholic.
16:27, Mon 11 Dec
Pigeon Park’s market had been like that the last few years. Hand made gifts and food items made by local artists and vendors. I’ve not been up there this year so can’t comment though.
16:29, Mon 11 Dec
[www.msn.com]

Lincolns was scrapped because it was too good
16:38, Mon 11 Dec
Kristoff
Pigeon Park’s market had been like that the last few years. Hand made gifts and food items made by local artists and vendors. I’ve not been up there this year so can’t comment though.

Briefly walked through and there were a couple of sheds like it selling honey and candles but that's about it.