21:59, Wed 13 Dec
PRBlue
We played generally higher up the pitch than under JE but not playing two up front meant we had numbers in midfield.

That made a gigantic difference today in my opinion. The game was quite scrappy in midfield and if we didn't have Sunjic bombing around and instead had Burke or Juke waddling about up front, we'd have lost.
22:00, Wed 13 Dec
Rags
there was so much more nouse in that performance than under JE

In which case, if you want to be stupid, that's 9-1 to JE over the last 10 games --- what a completely daft thing to say

wasn't the comment about tonight's game versus the last 10?

Couldn't care ... not going to spend time proving that a stupid comment is a stupid comment when it's already so stupid without me needing to make it even more stupid.

Mine wasn't the best retort - but stupid breeds stupid
watch the decision making of our defenders under Rooney. With and without the ball. Far superior.

Thought Buchanan stuck at it well. Got skinned a couple of times but battled back
Well yeah, I don’t think anyone is saying this was an exact copy of a Eustace game, we didn’t play like pussies against a top 10 side for a start.

Still, the way we set up and the general tactics were very much like the DvB on one of his good days, long may it continue.

The only ‘problem’ with the setup is Stansfield is reduced to a passenger for a lot of the game, though he should’ve scored. Hopefully a half decent striker in January means he can play a bit deeper.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
22:02, Wed 13 Dec
mr_crosby
Rags
there was so much more nouse in that performance than under JE

In which case, if you want to be stupid, that's 9-1 to JE over the last 10 games --- what a completely daft thing to say

Or Rooney has the same amount of away wins as JE already.

'already'

we've played 11 away games, 6 under Rooney, 5 under Eustace. So it took him one more game than Eustace, so he's actually got a worse away record.
22:03, Wed 13 Dec
haha forgot about the name change thing
22:05, Wed 13 Dec
Well yeah, I don’t think anyone is saying this was an exact copy of a Eustace game, we didn’t play like pussies against a top 10 side for a start.

Still, the way we set up and the general tactics were very much like the DvB on one of his good days, long may it continue.

The argument isn't JE v Rooney ... that's history ... it's about transitional football v progressive football.

Transitional football (unless you've got elite players compared to the rest of the players in your league) will always win out, it takes more organising, more thought and more planning.

People talk about Sheff Utd and Burnley going up last year - but they had massively better players than almost everyone else and loads of money to buy them ..... Luton went up by being better than loads of teams who were playing progressive football.
22:05, Wed 13 Dec
I thought it was more similar to a JE performance than the style Rooney has tried to play in his previous games. Either way it’s a pretty pointless argument. What matters is we played well I thought, and we won. So let’s just enjoy that.
22:07, Wed 13 Dec
Rags

The argument isn't JE v Rooney ... that's history ... it's about transitional football v progressive football.

Transitional football (unless you've got elite players compared to the rest of the players in your league) will always win out, it takes more organising, more thought and more planning.

People talk about Sheff Utd and Burnley going up last year - but they had massively better players than almost everyone else and loads of money to buy them ..... Luton went up by being better than loads of teams who were playing progressive football.

Definitely 👍
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
22:08, Wed 13 Dec
TrickyBlue
Honestly, just stop it.
J Whoo?
Up the feckin Blues
22:15, Wed 13 Dec
I don't remember the board every specifically mentioning progressive football... They said they wanted us to play without fear and I think we did that tonight. It would have been all so easy to stick 11 men behind the ball in the 2nd half and attempt to cling on to the result but we kept pushing forward until the final whistle. We've not done that much over the past decade.
22:22, Wed 13 Dec
I think off the ball the way we allowed ourselves to defend deeper and more compact looked more JE-esque, but on the ball we were a million times better than our away performances under JE. Kept the ball well, tried to play through the lines, picked out smarter passes when going long, it was much better.

Best thing about this is it was a deserved win and a very solid performance, which has lifted spirits and we have a genuine free hit against Leicester on monday now.
[null]
[]
TrickyBlue
Honestly, just stop it.

Have a look at the last formation for our last away win under JE at Bristol City [www.skysports.com]

Watch the highlights on Youtube [www.youtube.com]">

Todays formation [www.skysports.com]

Still see no similarities?

22:35, Wed 13 Dec
I think off the ball the way we allowed ourselves to defend deeper and more compact looked more JE-esque, but on the ball we were a million times better than our away performances under JE. Kept the ball well, tried to play through the lines, picked out smarter passes when going long, it was much better.

Best thing about this is it was a deserved win and a very solid performance, which has lifted spirits and we have a genuine free hit against Leicester on monday now.

Absolutely
10:24, Thu 14 Dec
The revisionism on here at times is incredible. We are like drunks that turn on each other. The previous manager did a great job and got the team to the play off positions playing almost exactly the same way played last night. His time is over. We thank him for it.

At this moment in time virtually nothing Rooney has done has convinced me he can replicate that position. Last night he reverted to what they’re capable of and what do you know they won. Cardiff somehow 9th are one of the worst teams I’ve seen or at least that performance was so until this is evidenced on a sustained basis I’m not going over the top just yet. People seem to be getting carried away. 6th was probably over achieving. Bottom five is under achieving. Mid table is about par for the course this season in my opinion.