08:10, Thu 14 Dec
Rags
Apart from the fact that having Rooney as manager brings in more revenue and "clicks than having JE as manager, Wagner and Cook dismissed JE because he realistically and very honestly said to them that moving to front-foot, possession football, where we play through the thirds and the goalkeeper is the deep defensive pivot ... "progressive football" ... wasn't possible at this stage with the players he had and they should embrace the fact that he was over-achieving (sixth) against the pre-season targets they set (about 10th - 12th)

So they sacked JE and got Rooney in to deliver the progressive style they wanted.

But Rooney couldn't deliver and has now gone back to transitional football - and lo and behold was instantly successful with it.... doing exactly what the overwhelming majority of fans have been telling him to do ..... "evolution not revolution"

So what are Wagner and Cook going to do now .... settle for a style of football that they said they didn't want ?

Please note : i was chuffed with the result and chuffed that we are now playing to the existing players' strengths

Good post…and likewise chuffed with an unexpected win…
Just a perfect day. Drink sangria in the park And then later, when it gets dark...We go home
08:10, Thu 14 Dec
They clearly need to sell up and spend the rest of their natural lives in hiding due to the sheer embarrassment of Rooney winning at Cardiff.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
08:23, Thu 14 Dec
Rags
He didn’t play the Eustace way though? I don’t recall too many away wins in his time against teams in good form and in the higher reaches of the league

We pass the ball more productively and more frequently. Probably the reason why we commented on Beliks frequent misplaced passes were because he was trying to get the ball forward.

Also we didn’t stop trying for a 2nd. That was a massive step forward from numerous previous managers who shut up shop when we were defending a lead.

I hope Rooney realises now though that Sunjic & Belik need to be integral until the summer. Bacuna, Koji and Dembele all have their place but not starting all at once.

He didn’t play the John 'DvB' Useless way though?

Ho hum ...

We played "transition football" and not "progressive possession football" .... just so happens the first was what we played under JE - second was what Rooney was supposed to introduce.

No-one is saying that it was completely the exact JE way - but it was a variation on the style that JE was playing

This is about styles - not personalities - move on

I think you're overly hung up on this 'transition' versus 'progression' thing tbh. It's over-simplifying it to say we reverted to what we were pre-Rooney.

We played some very good possession based stuff last night, and were much more on the front foot than we ever were under JE. We had the same amount of possession last night as we did against Cov, and more than we did against Blackburn and Sunderland.....we were just better with it.

Chill out a bit mate.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
08:23, Thu 14 Dec
Is it down to the lake I fear.
08:25, Thu 14 Dec
IanT
Rags
He didn’t play the Eustace way though? I don’t recall too many away wins in his time against teams in good form and in the higher reaches of the league

We pass the ball more productively and more frequently. Probably the reason why we commented on Beliks frequent misplaced passes were because he was trying to get the ball forward.

Also we didn’t stop trying for a 2nd. That was a massive step forward from numerous previous managers who shut up shop when we were defending a lead.

I hope Rooney realises now though that Sunjic & Belik need to be integral until the summer. Bacuna, Koji and Dembele all have their place but not starting all at once.

He didn’t play the John 'DvB' Useless way though?

Ho hum ...

We played "transition football" and not "progressive possession football" .... just so happens the first was what we played under JE - second was what Rooney was supposed to introduce.

No-one is saying that it was completely the exact JE way - but it was a variation on the style that JE was playing

This is about styles - not personalities - move on

I think you're overly hung up on this 'transition' versus 'progression' thing tbh. It's over-simplifying it to say we reverted to what we were pre-Rooney.

We played some very good possession based stuff last night, and were much more on the front foot than we ever were under JE.

Chill out a bit mate.

Very much this.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
08:32, Thu 14 Dec
"It's over-simplifying it to say we reverted to what we were pre-Rooney."

That isn't what i said at all

Oh i give up ... even the stats about the teams with the most possession are the teams that get promoted is bollocks ..... too busy to post an analysis but quite often over the last 5 years that just doesn't stack up. It's a skewed myth ... and, as an aside, the Premier League is right at the bottom of the top leagues when it comes to possession football.

Transitional football (better than the version we played under JE) HAS to be the way forward until we can throw shed loads of money at getting much much much better players. I want Rooney to stick with it, or a version of it. I don't want Wagner and Cook interfering again for a long long time yet.

Luckily i'm off to give another talk and give some awards out to nice people in a bit.
08:35, Thu 14 Dec
Oh i give up ...

If only. 😜
08:38, Thu 14 Dec
"Off to give another talk and give some awards", !!
Wow ,you must be a very important fellow.
08:44, Thu 14 Dec
Oh i give up ...

If only. 😜

Well we've just wasted nine games following a shite philosophy that even the fans knew from the start wouldn't work - everyone was saying "evolution not revolution" (well, apart from the Rooney groupies who can't get beyond wanting to suck his cock 'cos it's the closest they'll ever get to someone famous, slagging off fans who dared question things - better people than them actually, ) and now we've all been proven right they still can't get their heads out of their arses and instead of enjoying the win spend their time slagging of JE (why ? ... he's gone ... move on), still not understanding the difference between two completely different styles of football (as different as the difference between a hairy arse and a marble statue).

What's the difference between an alligator and a crocodile - depends if you see it later or ....
08:45, Thu 14 Dec
"Off to give another talk and give some awards", !!
Wow ,you must be a very important fellow.

No ... but people with brains and intelligence seem to appreciate me.

Importance is something i despise

Everyone is a genius at something - life is just about finding out and recognising what your skills are.
08:46, Thu 14 Dec
Rags
Oh i give up ...

If only. 😜

Well we've just wasted nine games following a shite philosophy that even the fans knew from the start wouldn't work - everyone was saying "evolution not revolution" (well, apart from the Rooney groupies who can't get beyond wanting to suck his cock 'cos it's the closest they'll ever get to someone famous, slagging off fans who dared question things - better people than them actually, ) and now we've all been proven right they still can't get their heads out of their arses and instead of enjoying the win spend their time slagging of JE (why ? ... he's gone ... move on), still not understanding the difference between two completely different styles of football (as different as the difference between a hairy arse and a marble statue).

What's the difference between an alligator and a crocodile - depends if you see it later or ....

Good Lord.
08:48, Thu 14 Dec
Rags
Oh i give up ...

If only. 😜

Good Lord.

No, don't believe in him either .... people are just people, no-one is more important than anyone else. Why put something/someone on a pedestal ?
09:13, Thu 14 Dec
The formation may have been the same, however our approach was very different.
09:14, Thu 14 Dec
The formation wasn’t even the same
09:29, Thu 14 Dec
Clapton
We carry on doing what we’re doing now to climb the table. It buys us time because we can’t buy enough players to change the system in January anyway.

It’s a lesson learnt for the board which should I hope brings a little more patience.

Hear hear.

I have went from Rooney out to a resounding in all down to last nights 90 minutes.

I didn't think he had it in him but he does (we surely all knew the players were able to).

The future is again bright and exciting, lesson learnt.