09:08, Thu 4 Jan
David Xavis
Ribeye
You had to pick either Carsley or Marsch , which one?

Marsch for me but I clearly know eff all about football because I thought Zola, Karanka and Rooney would do well.

Marsch, better CV. Would be v concerned re relegation with both though.

Really? I don't think any of the managers linked would get us relegated.
09:13, Thu 4 Jan
Marsch.

Only so I don’t have to read “he’s a nice guy” and “he’s one of us” all the damn time.
09:16, Thu 4 Jan
Ribeye

Marsch for me but I clearly know eff all about football because I thought Zola, Karanka and Rooney would do well.

This would be hobson’s choice but in that very specific situation Marsch all the way.

Carsley would very much be a backwards step and would reek of nepotism. Everyone knows he’s Gardner’s mate, his son works at the Academy and there are too many other connections to make it feel like a proper hire.
09:19, Thu 4 Jan
USA
09:24, Thu 4 Jan
Marsch by a long, long way but that's not saying much considering Carsley has never managed a club team before....
09:31, Thu 4 Jan
Marsch for me
09:36, Thu 4 Jan
El Mayor
Ribeye

This would be hobson’s choice but in that very specific situation Marsch all the way.

Carsley would very much be a backwards step and would reek of nepotism. Everyone knows he’s Gardner’s mate, his son works at the Academy and there are too many other connections to make it feel like a proper hire.

Funnily enough, were we to hire Marsch, that would be the take from the outside world I'm sure - American owners hiring American head coach. I think between those two it's a really tough choice, both are gambles. As much as I don't think he'd do great here, I'd go with Marsch simply because he has managed club level football before, in England too. He just has far much more experience and experience is exactly what we need at the minute. Wouldn't hate Carsley myself, but I think if we were to go with either, I'm hoping we've exhausted our other options first.
09:39, Thu 4 Jan
I heard that Carsley wants to keep his England job and do the Blues job.
09:40, Thu 4 Jan
El Mayor
Ribeye

I didn't know about his link to Gardner, or his son working at the academy. I think as a coach, he's doing a brilliant job - he's currently 2nd favourite to take over from Southgate - he's really modern and innovative - I can't see how it would be a backwards step?

Saying that - he's not my first choice - I can see him being the manager after the next manager if that makes sense - Mowbray comes in, changes the style, and Carsley takes over, but I wouldn't want him to take over in these circumsmtances
09:46, Thu 4 Jan
Neither are good enough.

Why has Will Still not been interviewed? He’s the best up and coming manager out there.
09:46, Thu 4 Jan
It’s a bit ‘ do you want to be hung or shot’ for me

Carsley….. only as I’ve made my thoughts clear on Marsch

Edit…. A bit harsh on Carsley. I’d much prefer to Marsch personally
09:50, Thu 4 Jan
All this debate reminded me of this

[m.youtube.com]
09:53, Thu 4 Jan
both risky, but Marsch for his experience, Carsley has never managed full time at a club
09:53, Thu 4 Jan
The owners are in a real conundrum now.

I know they call it a 10 year plan but I would strongly imagine their plan was top 10 at least next season and promotion in 2025-26. Ever year out of the Prem is a year a loss they have to fund.

On the one hand they need to think about the immediate issue of a team that have lost the ability to win with any regularity and on the face it have a porous centre, a midfield lacking in control and absolutely no striking prowess beyond a young loanee. We know it is not as bad as that because we have seen us win with the same squad and frankly survive with much worse. However the temptation to bring back in a substance over style gaffer to go spit and sawdust must be there. Great in the short term but possibly not going to fulfill the remit of play-off football next season and beyond.

Or you continue on a route of recruiting a manager for the future and hope there is sufficient talent in the present and in the new man to drive us away from relegation and rebuild significantly in the summer. Then your manager choice is probably more controversial and divisive.

Oh and not Carsley. International management especially U-21 where not many fans really care about results is a completely different game to championship management. He is a complete rookie in club football, more so than Rooney. Marsch though doesn't seem like the sort of man that is going to rally a team around his cause immediately, he seemed very aloof at Leeds, not easy to warm to.
10:29, Thu 4 Jan
Neither,

We need a manager with a proven record of managing a club in England or Europe or both. Let's hope the next manager shows we have ambition and we really are going somewhere. Either of those two would cleary signal we lack any real ambition.