17:12, Tue 9 Jan
bluearmyfaction
Pearcy
'Anti VAR = pro cheats' is like saying 'Anti Death Penalty = pro murderers'

Death penalty involves a state murder, so not really.

I don't like the death penalty, but that doesn't make me 'pro murderers'

I don't like VAR, but that doesn't make me 'pro cheaters'

HTH
17:16, Tue 9 Jan
newblue
It strikes me as bonkers that your arm can be offside. Wasn’t it all supposed to be about feet anyway at one time? It’s quite difficult to judge in any event as the exact time the ball is played and where the forward is who the ball is played to can be very difficult to judge. I quite liked the old presumption about ‘benefit’ of the doubt to the forward. Of course ridiculous offsides can be remedied very quickly.

The penalties that were given at the weekend were absolutely no different to last night, claiming VAR would have intervened is just specious. As Spike said the Jota one was even more blatant cheating and the DvB who went down for their pen against Burnley was even more severely injured than Bruno. I guess the problem is lots of players exaggerate to ‘buy’ fouls - and actually in a lot of cases there is a strong argument for a foul, the player is in some cases I suppose trying to ‘ensure’ they get the advantage they ought to. It’s especially the case in those tussles between a forward and big defender for a contested ball (eg Juke in every appearance he’s ever made for us). In the end it’s about savvy refs and in my view we should leave it more to that, as clearly VAR is going to be used to intervene more and more in the game and spoil it as a spectacle, when the flow of the game is the most enjoyable thing about it.

Read the first line. Your arm can't make you offside. He meant where your arms are for a handball. Natural position etc.

Offside is a legal ball playing part of the body. I wouldn't be against making it just the feet to be judged on but I suppose that would be weird if it hit someone's head from point blank range and their head was offside all the way through.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
17:34, Tue 9 Jan
Top of your arm can be offside can’t it?
Edit- Now I’ve typed that it doesn’t look right.
is the t shirt line now the arm pit?
Tony Fantastico
17:36, Tue 9 Jan
Charcy
newblue
It strikes me as bonkers that your arm can be offside. Wasn’t it all supposed to be about feet anyway at one time? It’s quite difficult to judge in any event as the exact time the ball is played and where the forward is who the ball is played to can be very difficult to judge. I quite liked the old presumption about ‘benefit’ of the doubt to the forward. Of course ridiculous offsides can be remedied very quickly.

The penalties that were given at the weekend were absolutely no different to last night, claiming VAR would have intervened is just specious. As Spike said the Jota one was even more blatant cheating and the DvB who went down for their pen against Burnley was even more severely injured than Bruno. I guess the problem is lots of players exaggerate to ‘buy’ fouls - and actually in a lot of cases there is a strong argument for a foul, the player is in some cases I suppose trying to ‘ensure’ they get the advantage they ought to. It’s especially the case in those tussles between a forward and big defender for a contested ball (eg Juke in every appearance he’s ever made for us). In the end it’s about savvy refs and in my view we should leave it more to that, as clearly VAR is going to be used to intervene more and more in the game and spoil it as a spectacle, when the flow of the game is the most enjoyable thing about it.

Read the first line. Your arm can't make you offside. He meant where your arms are for a handball. Natural position etc.

Offside is a legal ball playing part of the body. I wouldn't be against making it just the feet to be judged on but I suppose that would be weird if it hit someone's head from point blank range and their head was offside all the way through.

‘Their head was offsite all the way through’ 😂😂

And ps, that wasn’t the main point which is that the original claim in the first post is laughable.
...the Calvert-Lewin red card has been overturned 👍😤
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men
Even though the FA upheld the Bielik one which was not even a foul. Unlike the Calvert-Lewin one.

Bias again.
bluearmyfaction
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men
Even though the FA upheld the Bielik one which was not even a foul. Unlike the Calvert-Lewin one.

Bias again.

Honestly don't think there's any bias at play. No offence but claiming there is is just a bit lazy imho.
VAR is still humans making their own judgements on any particular incident.
Btw, I'm finding this whole 'VAR is shit/ no it ain't' properly tiresome. I nearly called it a 'debate' but it hasn't been that for a long time now, just the same people making the same points over and over and refusing to see anyone elses point of view.
I've just made a NY resolution to not get involved again! 😁
Up the feckin Blues
The FA supports an FA Premier League club but shits on a non-FA Football League club.

Same as an FA Premier League referee shat on a non-FA Football League club at the weekend. And the 2001 League Cup final.
It just smacks of paranoia Blue, Everton fans were saying exactly the same about the CL sending off when in reality, they just got the rough end of a decision.
Same as Derby fans and us being outraged that the EFL did us over dodgy owners.
No bias or vendetta
Up the feckin Blues
20:29, Tue 9 Jan
bluearmyfaction
The FA supports an FA Premier League club but shits on a non-FA Football League club.

Same as an FA Premier League referee shat on a non-FA Football League club at the weekend. And the 2001 League Cup final.

It’s not been the FA Premier League in years has it?

I mean, the PL is a private company, I know the FA can veto chief executive appointment but I don’t think they quite have the control you’re saying here.

Sounds a bit like paranoia to me.
20:40, Tue 9 Jan
There’s no other logical explanation as to the difference in treatment. There is a fairly strong argument that the Calvert-Lewin was correct on the interpretation of the laws as applied - he went in with studs showing and aimed at opponent’s shin. There is no such argument over the Bielik incident.
20:42, Tue 9 Jan
It’s humans making subjective decisions on two different incidents with different circumstances

They really don’t care enough about us (or Everton) to give a shite
Happy Clapper