13:03, Tue 9 Jan
Tam
Rags
Rags
its probably only us and Hull fans who would have anything decent to say about Steve Bruce tbf, not great when you consider how many clubs he's been at
?

Early Bruce - great

but then it gradually got a bit weird - remember when he named Furlong (?) as a sub when he was at a hospital up north waiting for his wife to give birth and to make it to the game she would had to give birth early and PF then would need to leave immediately

... him naming his own son ahead of England international Nicky Butt in midfield .... now Butt wasn't great - but compared with Alex Bruce ?

Was Heskey who was the incipient dad iirc

You are absolutely correct - my apologies ... and of course we signed Heskey from Liverpool which is why it was a northern hospital.

As i typed it i thought to myself - "why was it a northern hospital for Furlong when he was iving in London due to his Chelsea days ?"

He may have borrowed Savage's satnav, I suppose.

Bad idea thinking Emile could have moved out of the delivery room quickly anyway. Would have felt a twinge in his thigh or something.

I used to love it when Heskey got angry due to a bad challenge on him, or a bad decision went against him - all of a sudden, for about 10 minutes, he became a world beater.
Jim Smith.

Wayne Rooney.
13:14, Tue 9 Jan
Rags
Tam
Rags
Rags
its probably only us and Hull fans who would have anything decent to say about Steve Bruce tbf, not great when you consider how many clubs he's been at
?

Early Bruce - great

but then it gradually got a bit weird - remember when he named Furlong (?) as a sub when he was at a hospital up north waiting for his wife to give birth and to make it to the game she would had to give birth early and PF then would need to leave immediately

... him naming his own son ahead of England international Nicky Butt in midfield .... now Butt wasn't great - but compared with Alex Bruce ?

You are absolutely correct - my apologies ... and of course we signed Heskey from Liverpool which is why it was a northern hospital.

As i typed it i thought to myself - "why was it a northern hospital for Furlong when he was iving in London due to his Chelsea days ?"

Bad idea thinking Emile could have moved out of the delivery room quickly anyway. Would have felt a twinge in his thigh or something.

I used to love it when Heskey got angry due to a bad challenge on him, or a bad decision went against him - all of a sudden, for about 10 minutes, he became a world beater.

I remember seeing an early game he had for Leicester against Tottenham when he completely physically dominated Sol Campbell. I thought he was going to be brilliant. Shame he was such a passive personality, potentially he had everything.
Tam
13:22, Tue 9 Jan
newblue
Rags
Tam
Rags
Rags
?

Early Bruce - great

I remember seeing an early game he had for Leicester against Tottenham when he completely physically dominated Sol Campbell. I thought he was going to be brilliant. Shame he was such a passive personality, potentially he had everything.

Yes, on his day he was unstoppable. My memory's playing up today, but I seem to remember that we played Liverpool in the last game of the season before we signed him. I remember thinking 'I hope we can sign someone like him'.
Make Blues Great Again
KC
13:23, Tue 9 Jan
Going back before most on here Arthur Turner, Gil Merrick, Stan Cullis, Freddie Goodwin and Jim Smith all managed good teams and were highly respected.
14:04, Tue 9 Jan
KC
KC
Going back before most on here Arthur Turner, Gil Merrick, Stan Cullis, Freddie Goodwin and Jim Smith all managed good teams and were highly respected.

I know the Zola and Rooney appointments are compared but for me the Rooney one was more similar to when Jim Smith was sacked - we had just drawn 2-2 at West Ham to a dodgy last minute penalty and Smith was sacked on the Monday when in reality we weren’t playing that badly. He basically was sacked because Saunders had become available and the board saw it as too good an opportunity to miss, much like our CEO did with Rooney.

The Saunders era clearly had highs and lows, but it was never quite the team that Smith had built, and selling flair players like Dillon and Curbishley straight away was a sign of things to come.
14:20, Tue 9 Jan
'The 1993 3-0 was Wayne Allison. A hideous night. I am a big fan of roofs on stands in bad weather.'

That one seems to feature in a lot of all time bad experiences, and there's quite a lot to choose from.

I saw Tatts in the crowd there that night and my mate had gone to school with him. He was certain that Colin was a Man United fan at school! Obviously no doubt about his Blues credentials these days.
15:38, Tue 9 Jan
KC
KC

So I am not the only old git on here.

Arthur Turner was manager when I started.

Stan Cullis is often overlooked yet he turned things round after relegation in 1965 and provided the platform for Freddie Goodwin's promotion team.

As for Bald Eagle I don't think I have ever enjoyed watching the Blues more than during his days.
15:55, Tue 9 Jan
Spike
Sheep2

The 1993 3-0 was Wayne Allison. A hideous night. I am a big fan of roofs on stands in bad weather.
Cole and Rosenior was the year before I think.

Following the 1993 disaster we didn't lose there again until 2019.

Yes I do remember that rain.

I remember thinking it couldn't get any worse than Wayne Allison scoring a hat-trick against us.

At least Cole was ace and Rosenior was a good handful as well. But Wayne Allison?

I think I just kept muttering on the way home "Fecking Wayne Allison scored a hat-trick..."

From memory, the one goal he got played through on on one, stumbled, fell over the ball, got back up, half fell over again and still nobody got near him before he stabbed it towards goal and it barely dribbled over the line. It was like a slow motion nightmare.

Ironically that was my 1st ever game as kid. I hated it, i was cold, wet and we lost....and i still came back haha.

Francis was amazing to me, if Furlong hadnt always been injured we would have been up long before we did go imo. some amazing wins too, a few 7-0s.
Bruce i know by going to Villa meh but i have nothing but fond memories, perhaps should have left the season he took us back up. His on camera persona and off camera persona were very different - i suspect he became more and more bitter as the game moved forward and his approach didnt.

im going against the grain here but i couldnt click with Houghton - the Europa league was fun but to have that squad not go up, to mess up the playoffs like that imo was criminal then jumped as soon as he could. Not for me
17:04, Tue 9 Jan
It was a particularly bad game even for Blues.
I think it started raining heavily just before kick off and did not stop all night.
Bristol is a very wet city. The clouds roll up the Bristol Channel and straight over it.
The lack of a roof on the terrace was very noticeable. The stand that replaced it has a very nice waterproof roof.

We were awful that night. I don't think we had a shot on target. It was obvious none of our players fancied playing in the rain.
As Spike said it wouldn't have been so bad but Wayne Allison wasn't even any good.

The whole thing was miserable. The combination of a terrible performance and terrible weather still stands out. I have been to a lot of bad games and in bad weather, but normally you can at least hide in some shelter these days. I am amazed if that was your first game that you ever came back.
17:45, Tue 9 Jan
I am not sure i had much choice to be fair - think my Dad dragged me along with "we'll win the next one"....we didnt ;)