08:59, Tue 9 Jan
On our latest podcast (listen here if you wish) a Sunderland fan sent us a voice note over and it was an amazingly glowing reference of Tony Mowbray. Throwing in to that all the positive comments on socials from fans of his old clubs, there seems to be few who dislike him and fanbases are fairly united in that the majority have a lot of time and respect for him.

Which prompted the question, who was the last Blues manager to be the same?

Matthew suggested Steve Bruce - but I think there is probably a divide in the fanbase a little bit about the way his reign ended at Blues, not just in the way he left and where he's been since, but the way the football went. Big Eck won us a cup, but lots of people (myself included) thought his football was generally unenjoyable and there was of course, his exit.

My suggestions were TF and Barry Fry. I know TF had a few who had issues with him, but I think the positives probably outweigh the negatives and as for Baz, he was just a bit bonkers, didn't have an awful lot of pressure on him, and was pretty much loved by everyone and welcomed back regularly.
09:01, Tue 9 Jan
Hughton, the last manager to leave that we held in high esteem.
Terry Cooper and Hughton are the only ones I can think of that are universally respected. Bruce blotted his copybook by joining Vile.

As you said on the pod, Fry is v popular but I’m not sure he’s respected by everyone. It was just fun.

TF is hard to categorise as he’s like family, basically.
I loved Terry Cooper.

His Wife Rose used to travel on the Team bus with him,feels like a bygone age now.
Hughton is the obvious choice. I can’t think badly of Bruce, regardless of his move to them, ultimately he did a bad job for them. Loved TF but he took us as far as he could and loved Bazza. The rest are before my time. I dont think i could think less of a manager than I do the rat.
Tam
09:04, Tue 9 Jan
Thinking of managers that would get a decent reception, I suppose Lee Clark might - I don’t know why, but I’ve got a soft spot for him, I suppose because he was a) as mad of a March hare and b) he really cared. John Eustace would as well, I’m sure.
Make Blues Great Again
Sweepover
I loved Terry Cooper.

His Wife Rose used to travel on the Team bus with him,feels like a bygone age now.

He was a gentleman. A man of top integrity.
09:04, Tue 9 Jan
its probably only us and Hull fans who would have anything decent to say about Steve Bruce tbf, not great when you consider how many clubs he's been at
09:13, Tue 9 Jan
Nah, jumped first chance he could.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
TF is hard to categorise as he’s like family, basically.

Yeah, an odd one.

If he wasn't such a club legend I think rationally we'd have to look back at his time as manager as ultimately a frustrating failure, especially considering the comparative riches he had to spend compared to most championship clubs back then.
The cold never bothered me anyway
I can’t stand Bruce
Tony Fantastico
09:19, Tue 9 Jan
Nikola Zigic
Nah, jumped first chance he could.

Any manager whose stock was as high as his would’ve jumped ship. If he’d got us promoted probably a different outcome.
09:20, Tue 9 Jan
For me, I had my first season ticket under TF and for his entire reign it was genuinely enjoyable to go to the football with my Dad, watching the bloke he loved and idolised as a player manage us in our attempt to reach the Premier League. Back then I never thought about tactics or anything too much, I just enjoyed the games and spending time with my old man, being allowed to start swearing joining in with the chants and shouts etc and "becoming a man" with him. Those memories may tint my judgement on TF's time, but as has been mentioned he ultimately failed and Bruce took us up first attempt with the same squad.
09:20, Tue 9 Jan
Not saying I disagree, I just don't look back on him really fondly because of it.

Here for one season, had a go and effed off when it was about to get hard. Meh.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
09:21, Tue 9 Jan
Clapton
Hughton, the last manager to leave that we held in high esteem.

Hughton was mentioned by Matthew, and I'd tend to agree, although the jumping at the first chance did sour it for a few.