12:21, Mon 15 Jan
I seem to remember it was pretty well discussed at the time. Those involved in the London Olympics never stopped banging on about ‘legacy’ and how the mistakes of the past wouldn’t be repeated.
12:25, Mon 15 Jan
bluearmyfaction
Shabby Grifter
I've not been there but considered to be a poor stadium to watch footie at?
It's pretty poor to watch athletics at. The rake is way too shallow. The only newbuild which got that right was the Millennium in Cardiff.

By rake, do you mean retractable seats? Principality Stadium seats don't retract do they? Even if they do it's not an athletics bowl so it's not really a comparison.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
12:28, Mon 15 Jan
newblue
I seem to remember it was pretty well discussed at the time. Those involved in the London Olympics never stopped banging on about ‘legacy’ and how the mistakes of the past wouldn’t be repeated.

Over a decade on and there's at least 40 days a year major event/top flight sport going on there. It's final usage was not maximised on revenues but it is on legacy. Much more than previous new build Olympic venues.

The other Olympic Park venues also have great post event usage.
12:31, Mon 15 Jan
Rake = the angle of the dangle.

There isn't enough height gap between the seats compared to the legroom so you can't see that well with people in front of you.
The best grounds for that are upstairs at Newcastle and Sunderland. The stands are very steep. Though not great if you don't like heights.
12:57, Mon 15 Jan
Charcy
newblue

Over a decade on and there's at least 40 days a year major event/top flight sport going on there. It's final usage was not maximised on revenues but it is on legacy. Much more than previous new build Olympic venues.

The other Olympic Park venues also have great post event usage.

Cobblers on the stadium. There are good aspects of the Olympic park but the housing, for example, was a huge missed opportunity to provide some affordable housing. The design of that housing is pretty crap too.
13:00, Mon 15 Jan
Gollivan doing things on the cheap? who'd a thunk it.
Up the feckin Blues
He’s a businessman tbf
13:58, Mon 15 Jan
Charcy
I agree although not sure it's all Seb Coe's fault a lot of people were involved in that process.

The post use should absolutely have been part of the planning.
Of course it should. Lady Brady used her title to get what they wanted. Corrupt but lots of things are
Tony Fantastico
14:01, Mon 15 Jan
Think that was opportunistic rather than planned though. They saw that they didn't need to get BCC to pay for ours they could just lift the idea and take it to the Olympic Stadium.
14:02, Mon 15 Jan
Charcy
By rake, do you mean retractable seats? Principality Stadium seats don't retract do they? Even if they do it's not an athletics bowl so it's not really a comparison.
The steepness of the rows. For a massive stadium it needs to be quite vertiginous otherwise the top is miles away from the action. That's all the more emphatic when there's a running track around it; I know it's covered up for the football, but if you're watching track and field, binos or the big screen are required.

When we were at the Millennium for the LC Final I felt I was on top of the action even though I was almost right at the top, because the gradient was so steep, felt I was falling onto the pitch.
14:04, Mon 15 Jan
Charcy
Think that was opportunistic rather than planned though. They saw that they didn't need to get BCC to pay for ours they could just lift the idea and take it to the Olympic Stadium.
The deal they got stinks to high heaven
Tony Fantastico
14:06, Mon 15 Jan
Sheep2
Rake = the angle of the dangle.

There isn't enough height gap between the seats compared to the legroom so you can't see that well with people in front of you.
The best grounds for that are upstairs at Newcastle and Sunderland. The stands are very steep. Though not great if you don't like heights.

Still doesn't make sense. It's always had very good reviews for watching athletics that I've ever seen.

And the tier behind the retracted seats is quite 'raked'.

It's shit for football though, I agree with that.
14:12, Mon 15 Jan
I was about 10 rows from the back for the Cup tie. The nearest goal in front of me is where the other side of the centre circle is from my seat in row 17 of block 14 at Blues. Hate the place
Tony Fantastico
14:14, Mon 15 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
I was about 10 rows from the back for the Cup tie. The nearest goal in front of me is where the other side of the centre circle is from my seat in row 17 of block 14 at Blues. Hate the place

Yep was shit. BAF said athletics though.
14:15, Mon 15 Jan
Yeah I know. Just following on from your point about football there
Tony Fantastico