10:01, Tue 16 Jan
Shaun of Brum
My Blue Heaven
Mourinho is a winner though, big difference in watching cautious football and winning to watching it and not.

He was.

14 years since his last major honour.

Slightly harsh as he did win the UEFA Cup with Man U in 2016 but that is certainly not the equivalent of England winning a World Cup or Euros.

Also La Liga in 2011-12 and the Conference League in 2021-22 and two with Chelsea.

So apart from five trophies he's not won anything in 14 years.
10:02, Tue 16 Jan
Mozball
Surprised, he was doing alright with them and had them in the top 4 for most of the season, few bad results against strong teams and he’s gone.

De Rossi to come in apparently.

Pretty much the Mourinho cycle isnt it

Come in, do well, win a trophy or two, start pissing everyone off, gets toxic, gets sacked.
10:05, Tue 16 Jan
My Blue Heaven
He won Roma their first trophy in nearly 15 years. Blokes a great of the game.

Where do you get 14 years from

He won the prem with Chelsea in 2015, league cup with united in 17, europa league which is essentially the uefa cup.

I presumed the honours list was chronological but didn't take into account him returning to Chelsea.

Manager
Porto[393]

Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
UEFA Cup: 2002–03
Chelsea

Mourinho on the touchline against Leicester City in August 2014
Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15[394]
FA Cup: 2006–07[393]
Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07,[393] 2014–15
FA Community Shield: 2005[393]
Inter Milan[393]

Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia: 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2009–10
Real Madrid[393]

La Liga: 2011–12
Copa del Rey: 2010–11
Supercopa de España: 2012
Manchester United

EFL Cup: 2016–17
FA Community Shield: 2016
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
Roma

UEFA Europa Conference League: 2021–22

He is a great, I am not against him as a person or a manager but clearly he doesn't have the magic like he once had.

The game has moved on from his brand of football.

There is more to the game than just stopping the opponents which even Southgfate has learnt after the England - Italy Euros final.
10:23, Tue 16 Jan
I’d say winning something is pretty special with Roma after 14 years

I get it about his football, but the chaps a winner in my eyes,

Can’t see Southgate going in any event
Yes he's a winner and at the start full of wit and personality, but then he turned into this whining, toxic, whingey dick along the way.
Up the feckin Blues
He’d do well on here 😂
10:45, Tue 16 Jan
They all seem to go that way, Wenger, Klopp, breath of fresh air to begin with then it changes, Pep still ok for now though.
10:50, Tue 16 Jan
Blokes getting miserable as they age, who’d have thought it
11:08, Tue 16 Jan
if villa win the conference league would you class it as a big achievement? for Mourinho his bar has dropped that he's started celebrating achievements he previously wouldn't have even been in contention for as his teams would be too good to play in them.
I don't think the conference league is a major honour. He's a great but he's past it now.

Remember when he was at Real it was billed as a he vs Guardiola thing, now there's miles between them
11:14, Tue 16 Jan
Pep’s one of the best managers in the world with one of the biggest budgets, Jose had had some proper challenging jobs in contrast and done well in my mind. He’s also 60 and been doing it a very long time

I rate the bloke and would have him in at England over pretty much any other manager as to me he’s a winner still.

Others don’t agree which is fair enough

I think if “we” won the conference league let alone the vile, we’d celebrate it like West Ham did, that looked like a major achievement to me
My Blue Heaven
He’d do well on here 😂

😁👍
Up the feckin Blues
11:27, Tue 16 Jan
Pep is still the Man City manager because he is still the very best.

Jose is taking jobs at clubs who haven't won things for decades like Spurs and Roma for a reason.

He is a great of the game, he is wonderful entertainment as a character but he is no longer a top tier elite manager.
11:30, Tue 16 Jan
I don't know if that is correct.
What is true is that since he left Chelsea Mourinho hasn't has a job at a top club.
He's been to Man Utd Spurs and Roma all of whom are significantly below the best.

Arguably he overachieved at Manchester United 2nd and EL winners. There was a clear plan to improve the club further as well. The owners decided to stick with the players they had rather than the manager. That is a reasonable choice.

At Spurs he clashed with the board in the same way Conte and Pochettino did. Levy sacked him to ensure there was no trophy.

If he still had a club at the top he'd be winning (more) trophies. Would he be right at the top still? Unsure, but Pep only has one CL in the last 10 years. It's not easy to win European trophies.
Maybe he is on the way down. Though it's quite possible someone like Bayern or PSG might appoint him.
11:38, Tue 16 Jan
Im not questioning pep’s ability, he’s the best in the world. I’m comparing the clubs he’s managed.

I think mourinho is still one of the best in the world, winning things with lesser clubs and ones like united and Roma who are pretty effed up are big achievements. The blokes 60 and been a manager for over 2 decades. The fact he’s still around challenging for honours is testament to him. He was in the Europa league final last year.

Outstanding bloke when you consider Romas net spend over the last couple of years.

I’d say his style of football is the reason he’s not getting the ultimate jobs now, not his ability to win

You give him a massive budget at a stable club, I’d back him to win.
11:40, Tue 16 Jan
Don't get me wrong I'd celebrate the Conference League!! Because we have two league cups and a Barcelona ashtray in the trophy cabinet

But I think it's a third tier competition those who are between 10th and 5th in the league, no more than that. That's historically above our average. For Mourinho it's below his pedigree, this is a guy who managed Real Madrid and Manchester United, probably the two biggest jobs in the game.