19:52, Mon 5 Feb
I think my kids have missed out in life by not snow balling the number 11 bus.
20:20, Mon 5 Feb
BlueSA
Some US forecasters are saying a polar vortex could hit them around the middle of next week and land in Europe about a week later.

We are overdue a dump of snow really. Time will tell I guess.

I hope not! Me and one of my sisters are going over to my momโ€™s in South Birmingham on a daily basis to care for her - she canโ€™t survive without that care ๐Ÿ˜ข
21:08, Mon 5 Feb
bruggeaway
Remember waiting with bated breath listening to BRMB as they announced the school closures in alphabetical order ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

I listened to WM but have vivid memories trying to convince my mom that they had definitely just said my school and that she just wasn't listening properly.

It was actually weirdly really exciting.

And frustrating when every school in brum was bolted except yours.
21:30, Mon 5 Feb
Tilton shark
People will panic when they see a snow flake hit the car windscreen then melt. Turn the car round and head for home just in time to cut the lawn.

When I was a kid in the 70s we used to get snow for a few weeks at a time. Snow then minus temps turning it to ice then more snow but now its way too mild. Still had to walk to fecking school though until the heating system broke down.

I used to live in a little village not far from Newport, Staffs. It was properly out in the sticks. Thge school bus often couldn't get to the village, I also remember the bus couldn't start because the diesel had frozen in the tank.

We used to regularly get "snowed in", and it was real. The snow would drift up against your door so you couldn't physically get out.
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates

14 September - Castlemeads Court Retirement Village, Gloucester
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
09:24, Tue 6 Feb
๐Ÿ˜‚
09:34, Tue 6 Feb
According to my phone. Says its 11 degrees today. Not really winter weather.
09:37, Tue 6 Feb
By 6pm tonight it'll be more like 3 to 4 degrees, and won't get much warmer for a week.
09:41, Tue 6 Feb
That's not really that cold though.
09:42, Tue 6 Feb
Nah it's fairly standard. Just pointing out using today's temperature right now ain't a gauge
....depends where you live ๐Ÿ˜ค

Will it snow >>>> [www.theweatheroutlook.com]
09:47, Tue 6 Feb
What I'm trying to say is that even if it does snow. It won't last. The last time we had some really cold weather was 'the beast from east'. Which was in March 2018 if I remember correctly.
09:49, Tue 6 Feb
As the poster above says, depends where you live. I'm a thousand foot up in the Pennines, I've had at least an inch of snow on the floor for about 4 weeks already this winter, and Thursday it'll be pretty bad here.

I'd be surprised if there was more than the odd flurry in the Midlands though, it looks to be tracking more north.
Bought a nice piece of Pork Shoulder yesterday to cook outdoors on Thursday for Pulled Pork, will switch to Wednesday now looking at the forecast, don't mind cooking outdoors in the cold of winter and it's dry, but not when it's snowing outside also.
09:53, Tue 6 Feb
newblue
Actually schools used to shut down all the time back then. They really did. People have a strange memory of the past. Used to snow for weeks on end in the winter and the sun shone non stop in the summer.

Those were the days.

I don't think it's so much a strange memory - it would just depend on your own experience.

My school had a real hardliner as a head, and our school didn't shut for anything.

Was it around 81 we had a real savage snowy period which lasted weeks? We waded to school through very deep snow and our trousers had just about dried out in time to wade back home again -but not until we had helped the teachers push their cars off the carpark.

So if that's my experience, that's how I remember it because that's how it happened. And creating "slide zones" on the bottom playground seems to have been a regular occurrence which was ridiculously dangerous when I think back, but we thought it great fun.

We had very snowy winters around 85/86 as well I think? But I was left school and working by then. I can certainly remember having driving lessons with snow ploughed over into three feet high piles at the roadsides. I can remember being amazed when my instructor turned upfor one lesson and when I said I thought it might be cancelled, he asked how I thought I would learn to drive in snow if I didn't experience it. Though my driving test was postponed because the snow was too bad.

The only really bad snow I can remember since then was in 1990 I think - I only remember that because I had promised to take my girlfriend to the Jewellery Quarter to buy her an engagement ring, but when we got upon the Saturday morning there had been a massive snowfall. She had a tantrum and said I was trying to avoid getting her the ring, so I put her in the car and it was only when we got stuck solid halfway down The Cov that she finally accepted I might have a point.

Also whenever that Blues Southampton game was, that snow was bad and the game should never have been on.
09:55, Tue 6 Feb
Actually schools used to shut down all the time back then. They really did. People have a strange memory of the past. Used to snow for weeks on end in the winter and the sun shone non stop in the summer.

Those were the days.

Paah - in the 60s the schools didn't close for snow - and no local radio back then either -

having said that, in the miners' strike against Ted Heath in '72 there wasn't enough oil to have the heating on so we only went in twice a week Those were the days of electricity rationing and candlelight at home too .. in fact 1969 there was another set of closures too ... and in 73 and 74 it was the "three day week" when companies weren't even allowed by law to open for a full week.