14:32, Mon 18 Mar
👍
Tony Fantastico
14:33, Mon 18 Mar
bluer than blues
Rab C Nesbitt
Nikola Zigic
TaylorJay84
Just need Ugbo to get an injury and that should finish Wednesday.
One spot up for grabs though still even with them down 😬

I thought Ugbo was shite?

Can't keep up
Impossible to sign decent ones mate

I was always of the opinion that good strikers cost money but then I started looking at Championship acquisitions and soon changed my tune. Szmodics alone is a great example. It's always hard getting true figures but most suggest he was £1.8m and just six months earlier we spent £2m on Cosgrove. We've definitely had the resources to sort this issue out several times over. It really beggars belief how long this has been an issue for us.

They aren’t unaffordable, I would just say it’s how you structure deals.
With Blues being up against it P&S wise, they could have maybe paid less upfront and staggered payments, pretty much what they did with the other signings in the summer.

Blues inability to sign a forward on a permanent since Che is quite mind blowing.

I mean I will perhaps put a list together of strikers signed from Europe or lower leagues as I’m sure someone will tell me Blues just could not do it.

Tbf I don’t rate Ugbo. His career has hardly been great, seems to be on a nice run though for Wednesday, I wanted the lad Kaba in the summer who chose Spain. But tbf he’s been crap over there.

No guarantee who you sign works out but I’d rather us try and fail than stick with Juke and Hogan up until my retirement!

Perhaps just ring Barry Fry up, or perhaps hire Peterborough’s scouts or recruitment team?
Seem to find more gems than we do don’t they & sell them on for a pretty penny.
14:37, Mon 18 Mar
Don’t diss our recruitment or you’ll get accused of libel and being bitter
Tony Fantastico
14:37, Mon 18 Mar
Yeah there are a lot of variables no doubt, but I'm not sure Blackburn or Plymouth have money to burn and both have two of the three top scorers in the Championship both signed for under £1.8m. Since Covid, I'd presume most deals in the EFL come with heavy structuring. I think even in the PL, it's the way most clubs operate so I don't think we're a particularly special case.
14:40, Mon 18 Mar
Recruitment issue. No brainer
Tony Fantastico
14:49, Mon 18 Mar
Rab C Nesbitt

I mean Morgan Whittaker cost £1mil 🤦‍♂️
Why would he choose Plymouth over us, maybe we were in for him but he likes the coast 🤷‍♂️😬

Players were there for sure to be signed but we didn’t it’s that simple.
14:54, Mon 18 Mar
Well put 👍
Tony Fantastico
15:04, Mon 18 Mar
This is obviously not aimed at you rab, but I think just as it was praised for supposedly being brilliant end of August, it’s only right to call the recruitment out now given we’ve slumped to 21st, and won about 6 games in 5 months.
15:18, Mon 18 Mar
Bluenose27
This is obviously not aimed at you rab, but I think just as it was praised for supposedly being brilliant end of August, it’s only right to call the recruitment out now given we’ve slumped to 21st, and won about 6 games in 5 months.

The striker was a glaring omission in the summer but I think most other signings did look very good... for a JE team. When put into the context of a manager who knew the squad and what needed improving, (you'd imagine) worked with the sporting director to identify the signings and was steadily building upon what he'd done before, it seemed very good indeed.

The problems arose when we started ripping everything up mid-season. The signings now look poor because we're trying to play a different type of football. These players were good when we were a functional, cautious team. They look very limited when we try to be progressive and front foot.

Whatever we do in the summer has to be with some long-term vision to it.
16:21, Mon 18 Mar
TaylorJay84
Rab C Nesbitt

I mean Morgan Whittaker cost £1mil 🤦‍♂️
Why would he choose Plymouth over us, maybe we were in for him but he likes the coast 🤷‍♂️😬

Players were there for sure to be signed but we didn’t it’s that simple.

The problem is if he came to us he probably wouldn't hit a barn door.

For some mysterious reason whoever we sign seem to look pretty shit after a few games at us.
12:29, Tue 19 Mar
One of the reason's were in the position we are is that Wednesday, Huddersfield, and QPR have been performing at the level of teams going for playoffs. That won't continue. You have to say, hats off to the managers who are getting a tune out of their players.

Re strikers, it's easy to look in hindsight. The role of the striker has changed and strikers are required to offer a lot more than just scoring goals
Ugbo offers very little in build up play, and is going through a purple patch. He was poor at Cardiff. Even now, I wouldn't have wanted us to sign him.
Whittaker looked very good last season, and Swansea will undoubtedly be kicking themselves for letting him go, but sometimes it doesn't work out for players at clubs for various reasons. Whittaker had been on loan at Plymouth so probably wanted to stay as he knew the role he'd play in a settled team etc. I think he'll be out of our price range.
The reason we are where we are is that we’ve got 39 points from 38 games which is, once again, shit.
You can’t bemoan the upturn in form of three teams as being unfortunate for us. By that logic, we are lucky as eff that they were utter turd in the first half of the season.
Our predicament is entirely of our own making. Again.