09:10, Sat 30 Mar
I think we’d come straight back up given the resources we’d have.

Problem then being we’d be signing worse players than if we stay up, so you’re setting yourself back a few years.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:28, Sat 30 Mar
Super Hans
I think we’d come straight back up given the resources we’d have.

Problem then being we’d be signing worse players than if we stay up, so you’re setting yourself back a few years.
Ipswich's manager and recruitment have been superb.
09:37, Sat 30 Mar
There’s technically no such thing as a relegation clause.

However, I’m sure many have clauses in their contract that specify a lower wage when playing in League One.
09:41, Sat 30 Mar
El Mayor

However, I’m sure many have clauses in their contract that specify a lower wage when playing in League One.

That is high level pedantry

FfP rules in league one are very different to the Championship

Back at you Mayor to explain
09:43, Sat 30 Mar
Tarquin
El Mayor

Thank you :)

Salary Cap Management Protocol. You can spend a certain amount of turnover (I think 75%) on salaries; long term contracts from pre relegation don’t count.

It’s easier for owners to inject cash too.
09:44, Sat 30 Mar
Thanks. What about the salary cap in League One. Can we navigate this due to our larger revenue?
09:45, Sat 30 Mar
El Mayor
Tarquin
El Mayor

Salary Cap Management Protocol. You can spend a certain amount of turnover (I think 75%) on salaries; long term contracts from pre relegation don’t count.

60 % I think, but you can exclude players recruited on long term contracts prior to relegation I e Buchanan, Sanderson, Bielik,
09:46, Sat 30 Mar
BlueSteve
Thanks. What about the salary cap in League One. Can we navigate this due to our larger revenue?

As it’s a ratio based on wages to revenue, it’s kinda explicit that higher revenue equals higher allowable wages innit?
09:48, Sat 30 Mar
Tarquin
El Mayor
Tarquin
El Mayor

60 % I think, but you can exclude players recruited on long term contracts prior to relegation I e Buchanan, Sanderson, Bielik,

It is 60%

Bearing in mind we’re probably around the 140% mark right now, even with exclusions it’s gonna be interesting.
09:56, Sat 30 Mar
I'm guessing the Knighthead park deal will contribute towards turnover in League One.
09:57, Sat 30 Mar
El Mayor
Tarquin
El Mayor
Tarquin
El Mayor

It is 60%

Bearing in mind we’re probably around the 140% mark right now, even with exclusions it’s gonna be interesting.

Yes but as you hinted above, you can inject equity so essentially if you have enough money (which Knighthead do) you can spend what you want.
10:10, Sat 30 Mar
Only as a "gift" rather than equity or a loan though unless I read it wrong?
10:17, Sat 30 Mar
Bluenose27
All that is correct, but I feel we’ll need to buy an entire new squad, as the dead wood needs replacing and most of our better players will leave as we drop into league 1. So we’ll be heavily reliant on Gardner and his gurus, and hope that he actually earns his keep by identifying players that aren’t injury prone, weak mentally and physically or journeymen

I keep reading about the "dead wood" on this forum...... But looking at yesterday's starting Eleven, weren't 9 of them brought in this season ?
10:31, Sat 30 Mar
Tom TheProject Brady
Tom TheProject Brady
Don't be silly, relegation will turn our ffp hole into a chasm. Top whack for Tyler Roberts et al, in division 3 is a scary thought.

It won’t really because League One P&S rules are much more lax than in the Championship. Owners are essentially allowed to inject cash as revenue in L1.
Maybe League One will not be as bad as many are making out - not that I want relegation.

Relegation will be an absolute disaster, whether we can buy our way out of it or not.

We do not want to go into a League One season with less than half a squad, meaning we’d have to fill the spaces with League One players on 3 year deals and hope they can cut it in the Championship should we get promoted.

Ipswich haven't done too bad with that strategy x
13:06, Sat 30 Mar
Ipswich did spend 4 seasons in League One to build that squad though and they didn’t even go up as champions either

We have lost so many games over the last decade I’m not convinced we’re suddenly going to change the mentality of the club in less than 12 months to win enough games to get promoted

No matter how much money we have relegation would be a total disaster, it would set us back 2-3 years minimum